Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthpeter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slider Reply with quote

Some of the preset patches have very fast motion sequence changes and they loop without jagged ends and starts. I couldn’t get the same results, and it took a while to discover that turning the dials while motion recording isn’t always the way to go.. sometimes it’s the slider that does the trick.

Moving the slider while recording a motion sequence actually records what is assigned to the slider, and not the slider value itself.

You can gain three things from this:

The slider allows much faster changes than the dials.

Also, letting go of the slider returns it to the middle position. This makes it easier to create a smooth transition between the start and end of the motion sequence. Start and stop the motion sequence recording with the slider in the middle position and there’s no jag.

Finally, with the slider you can motion sequence record settings that are not turn-dial accessible, like VCO1 PITCH, GATE TIME, PORTAMENTO.

Kind regards,
Peter
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
Some of the preset patches have very fast motion sequence changes and they loop without jagged ends and starts. I couldn’t get the same results, and it took a while to discover that turning the dials while motion recording isn’t always the way to go.. sometimes it’s the slider that does the trick.

Moving the slider while recording a motion sequence actually records what is assigned to the slider, and not the slider value itself.

You can gain three things from this:

The slider allows much faster changes than the dials.

Also, letting go of the slider returns it to the middle position. This makes it easier to create a smooth transition between the start and end of the motion sequence. Start and stop the motion sequence recording with the slider in the middle position and there’s no jag.

Finally, with the slider you can motion sequence record settings that are not turn-dial accessible, like VCO1 PITCH, GATE TIME, PORTAMENTO.

Kind regards,
Peter

Yeah I'm glad you find out and share here. You can also set the range and as you said it record the parameters not the slider so you can record multiple slider automation.
VCO1 PITCH slider automation is nice when you have the two Oscillator in RING mode and only the VCO 2 in the mixer, nice sort of FM texture.
The fact that you can choose the range it's also nice for really small smooth but fast movement.

The Monologue is probably the best of the Logue series, especially due the fact that it's cheap and mono.
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
VCO1 PITCH slider automation is nice when you have the two Oscillator in RING mode and only the VCO 2 in the mixer, nice sort of FM texture.

Tried that, and it does give an interesting effect indeed. Throw in the LFO and it can get really weird..
TheDoctor wrote:
The fact that you can choose the range it's also nice for really small smooth but fast movement.

On my Monologue it seems that the slider range setting only works for PITCH BEND.. maybe I need to update to firmware version 2.0.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Tried that, and it does give an interesting effect indeed. Throw in the LFO and it can get really weird..
TheDoctor wrote:

On my Monologue it seems that the slider range setting only works for PITCH BEND.. maybe I need to update to firmware version 2.0.

Yeah the Slider range is on the new update
synthpeter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

TheDoctor wrote:

Indeed, now that I have the update installed, there's even better control of this effect.. Cool
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

TheDoctor wrote:

Indeed, now that I have the update installed, there's even better control of this effect.. Cool

It's a game changer for motion record, it's way smoother snd controllable. I like how they improve the screen.

Also I noticed the Envelope of the Monologue doesn't click anymore with long attack and long decay and it always click nicely with short attack and short/long decay. Am I going crazy or do you find the same?
synthpeter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Monologue trick: motion sequence recording with the slid Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
synthpeter wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

TheDoctor wrote:

It's a game changer for motion record, it's way smoother snd controllable. I like how they improve the screen.

It's especially nice that you can now also reverse the way the slider works by dialing in a negative number..

TheDoctor wrote:
Also I noticed the Envelope of the Monologue doesn't click anymore with long attack and long decay and it always click nicely with short attack and short/long decay. Am I going crazy or do you find the same?

Haven't tried that yet.. there's so much to explore when it comes to sound design, and I constantly get distracted into creating bass or lead lines..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: