Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did the original Wavestation 1 have a backlight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slyster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Did the original Wavestation 1 have a backlight? Reply with quote

I just bought a great condition WS1 (Original Wavestation) and I love it! So fun to get a nice old hardware synth again after many years.. but I was surprised to see there is no backlight on the display. I was surprised since my good old M1 (sadly I sold 10 years ago) did.

SO.. did the first ones not have a backlight? Or is mine just burned out?

Anyone knowledgeable let me know... and if they DID have a backlight (or I can add one)... are the ones on ebay ok? I found a bunch for $28 or so.

Pete
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the LCDs are backlit. IIRC, I think the backlighting is integral to the display itself, so generally just replacing the display is the way forward. But the displays do tend to dim over time. In the late 90s, I replaced the displays on two of my three Wavestations, and 20 years later, they have very dim screens. Anyway, the display going bad is probably the most common issue with hardware Wavestations.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electroluminescent backlight behind the Wavestation LCD can be replaced separately and, like the original, will probably fade over time, and is relatively inexpensive. The LCD itself doesn't seem to fade. LED-backlit LCDs are more expensive, but the end result will not fade significantly.

Slyster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats so I guess it's just too old. I don't want to bother taking it apart. I was hoping maybe there was just a off/dim/bright setting somewhere in the menus.

Thanks so much!
holografique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of available LED based replacement screens for the Wavestation (an A/D rack) that you can find online on Ebay or Reverb, and come in various colors and do not dim over time like the old CFL based screens do.

I recently replaced mine with a beautiful black text on white background and looks beautiful.

You do need to be prepared to spend about 1-2 hours taking the unit apart, but there's no soldering involved. Just time and patience. But well worth it.
deansum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Backlight Reply with quote

TELESIS BACKLIGHTS
P.O. Box 19015
Anaheim Hills, CA 92817
714-998-3001
http://backlights.telesisgear.com

I replaced mine several years ago. It was fairly simple.

This is where I got it and it wasn't very expensive. I have no idea if they are still in business
Slyster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... but alas.. the site is gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: