Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending MIDI notes to Kaossilator Pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranciscoArellano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers. Till now it seems i'm gonna sell the kopro+.
Rolling Eyes
Karg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a small hack that allows playing the Kaoss Series (Kaossilator Pro, Pro+, KP3, KP3+) with standard MIDI equipment and should get rid of your problems. It is a hardware solution that uses the Teensy (Arduino compatible) development board as a USB stick that translates the corresponding Note On/Off commands into the CC messages the Kaoss devices require. The approach is absolutely beginner friendly, and requires no soldering or assembly. The Teensy boards are available online for 12 EUR/USD.

Since I use MIDI over USB a computer is required as a USB host, however, the approach can be easily converted into a computer-free solution using MIDI DIN ports (this will require soldering of about 5 parts, and hence I did not include it in my original appraoch).

If anyone is interested, I posted detailed instructions on my blog:
http://karg-music.blogspot.de/2015/11/play-kaossilator-pro-with-standard-midi.html

Best,
Karg
Karg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here is an update for MIDI DIN in/outs:

Play the Kasossialtor Pros and Kaoss Pad 3s with any MIDI equipment

Best,
Karg
insenico

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Control Kaossilator Pro+ with MIDI Keyboard using free VSTs Reply with quote

I have a Roland A-800 PRO Midi Keyboard I wanted to use to control my Kaossilator Pro+, after weeks of trying I could finally make this work with FL Studio (which I only use as VST Host) and some Free VSTs.

I guess similar solutions can be done with other DAWs or VST Hosts.

My setup:

1) The keyboard is the input to a MIDIOut VST on FL Studio (this MIDIOut VST is installed with FL Studio, I guess other softwares have similar VSTs ). I mapped the Mod wheel to the CC13 (CC for Y-axis on KP+), nothing else. I specified an output port to send everything (notes + CC13) to the next VST (midiNotestoCC).

2) Match the MIDIOut out port with in port of the second VST you need "midiNotestoCC". I downloaded this VST for free, it comes in a big zip with many others (which I haven't tried yet), just google "MidiNotestoCC", or go to http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi .

Config: NotetoCC parameter to 12 (CC for Xaxis in KP+), High Note C6(96), LowNote C2 ( 48 ), HighNCC 127, LowNCC 0, NCC rest 63.
A second signal is needed (Pad Touch), you can use the VelocitytoCC in 92 (CC for PadT in KP+), HighVelocity 127, LowVelocity 1, VCC Rest 0 (this is important, otherwise it never stops playing).
3) Set your KP+ note range to 4oct, Key C, Scale OFF... Voila !

This way it works on 4 oct, C 2 to C6. I tried using FULL scale, but I couldn't get a good match with all presets (I guess the FULL scale is different from preset to preset).

By the way, between MidiOUT and MidiNotetoCC I actually have another VST to create pattern arpeggios (Kirnu 1.2, also free). This is one of the other things I really wanted for KP+ but Korg didn't implement.
I skipped this before to avoid complicating the explanation (it is not needed to make the Keyboard to KP+ connection work), but if you do get good results with the connection, I encourage you to try putting a nice arpeggiator between the MIDIOut and the MidiNotetoCC VSTS (actually playing without this sucks, it is difficult not to press two keys simultaneously and drag the note instead of creating a new pulse).

I hope this helps, I was super happy when I could finally make it work without buying additional hardware or paying for software, I wanted to share it with you.
Hercules RMX2
Novation Launchkey Mini
FL Studio12
Traktor2
thekik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that also based an an Arduino + a MIDI shield. Costing nothing, and working out of the box...

http://techiesexpedition.blogspot.fr/2016/11/volkaoss-vk-midi-controller-for-korg.html

I can confirm that the full range is unusable. 4 octaves is perfect.
tatteredntorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i tried to run Kaosillatorpronotes setup i get an error message saying the following-Windows cannot find 'javaw.exe'.Make sure you typed the name correctly,and then try again.
There was a tiny window left open after i closed the error message saying-Processing Error
Error Calling ShellExecuteEx0.

No idea what that meant,if anyone does and maybe can help setting kaosillatorProNotes up on my pc would be helpful.

OS is Windows 7 Home 64 bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: