Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trumpet to control Kaossilator pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hezkezljr

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Trumpet to control Kaossilator pro Reply with quote

Hello! I was gifted a kaossilator and its been sitting on my shelf for a while now, ive always wanted to start using it but i wish i could control it using keyboard or other instrument.
i could just buy a midi keyboard but recently i had an idea and now i want to control it using a trumpet. (condenser mic)
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-PGA98H-XLR-Condenser-Instrument-Microphone/dp/B00TTQLKHS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=trumpet%2Bmic&qid=1559233641&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-3&th=1
im going to mount that on my trumpet but i need a way to convert XLR into midi or aux (midi isnt audio so i doubt theres any way to do that, i think aux would work)
i ran across this forum and figured id ask if this is possible? im hoping to control it using pitch and volume
what would i need if so?

TL;DR - I want to replace the touchscreen input on my kaossilator with pitch and volume from a trumpet, is this possible? what would i need?
SMUDGE

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get an audio to midi converter, either a computer program or a standalone box. I have a Roland CP-40 which doesn't work as well as the Sibelius Audioscore converter I have on my computer. There are many options for audio to midi conversion. If going the standalone box route, you may need to get an adapter for XLR to TRS. If using a computer you'll need an audio interface perhaps with the same options, and a usb to midi interface to link your computer to the Kaossilator.

Then you need an RK-002 smart MIDI cable
https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk002/
which has firmware specifically for controlling a Kaossilator Pro from a midi device. You'll go trumpet XLR to computer or standalone box to midi out with RK-002 to Kaossilator.

Then you're set. Sounds like fun. I have a Yamaha WX5 would would be even better than what you're talking about if I only had the cable. The thing is, if you start applying standard midi control to the Kaossilator you're sort of removing the whole "chaos" angle. I have so many other standard midi synth options, the randomness and unpredictability of the Koassilator is really what makes it a unique voice in my studio. Good luck.[/url]
hezkezljr

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kaossilator is my only synth, ive never done it before so i would prefer something more precise to start off with, i think this might help me learn how all this works.
thank you so much by the way! ill definitely try this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: