Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

difference between mini KP2 and mini KP2S ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: difference between mini KP2 and mini KP2S ?? Reply with quote

what is the difference with the most recent version?
(before i jump in and get the wrong one)
manual ain't that great...

it looks like it will take Line In as audio source straight to performance recordings on microSD - either straight, or processed, or mashed up as loops, correct? and do this with the Mic In too.

i'm not really interested in loading up mp3/wav, or in any onboard factory files.

so what is the 'S' about?
can it make files of single loops?
i seem to remember from having the mini Kaossilator2 (not 'S') that i could make wav files as loops, and mix these and make files as songs/performances.
the loops were pretty cool, i would get a few things worth loading into a sampler or DAW. - i sold it because i needed to get away from it for a bit Smile and wanted to just have user sounds - the Mic Input seemed to produce a click at the beginning of each recording, so i had planned to get the miniKP2.

'S', as far as i understood, was something to do with Ableton?
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there ShoNuff , sorry about the late reply. Are you still considering one?
I've not used the kp2s mini, just the 2. I can tell you it's possible to records whole song performances with the original 2 direct to sd card. This is a great feature.
It seems the only major difference is the mp3 player button has been replaced by the sample button (on the S) -it may be a single KP3 type sample pad.
I never used the mp3 player and not interested in it either.
I do like the effects on this little guy. The delays, reverbs and mods just having the edge over the KP3, while the loopers have some improvements but lose out in other areas. The vocoder on the mini 2 is ace.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thanks for info - keep it coming if you have anything else to tell about it. it is still on my radar/vague wishlist next time i have some money to chuck at something.. i suppose i want an easy all purpose mashup toy that is tiny and multifunctional and will extend other small bit of stuff i have.

so it seems you're saying the S button is a trigger pad ?
as i said, with the miniKO2, i was getting a click at the start of each recording, so i might have been doing something wrong there. in any case, as loops preserve the first part of a recording and you can't trim, it was problematic. i could miss the miniKO2 but it really was a timesink at that point and i wanted to get back to midi and more control.

what i'm perceiving about the miniKP2 is that it's an effect unit that can
automate a preset, or be set on a part of a preset (like miniKO2), and process the input, or files held on it. then it can record whatever sound it's
producing as wav files to the SD card, as well as recording direct, clean, to SD. is that right? do like the idea of a quick robo-fx voice toy as well.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think the S is now a trigger pad and looper.
It's a great fx unit with a performance oriented xy panel that has a"hold" button. Then record the whole thing direct to sd wav file.
Every mini jack studio should have one Smile

I've not used the export wav feature on my KO2 mini so not experienced those clicks. It's loopers worked fine in box.
But regarding the Kaoscillator mini in general I always recommend the original over the 2 as it's looper can do the four bar hack , it has a beautiful overdub replace fix implementation , it's dead simple with no menu, even the arp seems to work better. The pad is bigger and four batteries so ,as an on the go performance instrument it excels. The sounds are even more concise. The drums being the only big improvement on the 2. Being able to save is a good improvement also, but I think my best stuff comes off live and I'll record it properly via performance into something else. It's a great instrument in itself and like I said the original has sounds that seem to work better together- timeless, like the VA presets on the OG MicroKorg.
It's a design classic that the 2 struggles to recapture.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhh... i dunno you know... Smile i have the old miniKaossilator, and i know what you're talking about: 'sounds more analog' :p and there are some presets the v2 didn't have. strangely i kept that one for the same reason, that i could just jam it out to another device.

but looking back, the KO2 could do some great things, and the file saving has a lot of potential for finding usable weird loops once you start searching through the microSD to see what you've 'harvested'. however you could do that on most sampler boxes anyway. and have midi.

i like the term 'minijack studio' !

(currently considering a Zoom R16 as lightweight 8 input recorder(/mixer) - not minijack but fits the portable ethos imo - unless you have other suggestions)
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess the save-able loop thingy is good and the 2 is worthy in its own right.( Glad you are familiar with the OG).
The difference between the pads play style is quite different with two fingers too - the 2 being able to track notes on the Y axis better, quite different styles.
From memory I thought the 2s changed things again that made me happy just keeping the 2 (minus the S) with its two loop banks. Not sure as I've not used the 2s.

That R16 does look Ok if you use it as a mixer too, the H4n looked appealing but won't have those extra features of the faders that you are after. The Op-1 seems to overpriced now for what it does in this area.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have thought about a 'proper' handheld, but i'm using a little microBR at the moment. i don't really use the multitrack - sometimes, but it's just really a convient little thing with some cool features. better to practice guitar with really. pocket 4 track with guitar tuner onboard, effects, and can act as a mini pre-amp for an electric. haha Very Happy love it... i need to move on to something a bit more serious but it's been a lot of fun to record to SD card like that. i did use it at one point with the miniKO1 to do some audio collages.

i ended up wishing that Korg would explore the mini-K thing further, and make a programmable voice version with a software front end. it's hard to get rid of the tail of the reverbs for some sounds, and without envelopes you have to find little tricks. i really despised it at first lol - found in a 2nd hand shop in exchange for a bag of old dvds - but it became interesting for a couple of months. still with me, in case i feel the urge to kaossilate Smile
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.
i've just read the docs on the Zoom H4n: it has loads of features that you get on the microBR - but with benefit of proper recording rate and format.
it even claims to have 4-track: how does that work? (checking atm rtfm)
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there's a 'pro' version, more recent. not sure yet what the upgrade is.
seeing these fairly cheap 2nd hand. could be the answer. don't know if there's a way of exploiting the 4 inputs without using the mics ?
(shifting the topic a bit here)
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
and there's a 'pro' version, more recent. not sure yet what the upgrade is.
seeing these fairly cheap 2nd hand. could be the answer. don't know if there's a way of exploiting the 4 inputs without using the mics ?

Yes it doesn't look like although I read that numerous overdubs is possible. Not sure if this is over the same track.
Maybe just go back with the 2 track of the kp2 recorder Smile There's some nice bassey distortions on that thing amongst others and performing with the fx can be a blast.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no indication of virtual tracks so far in the manual.
doh i'm feeling a bit dumb for not knowing about this unit before.
there are so many of these things out there, hard to know which is the optimal one to go for, with tascam models probably cost a bit more.
i nearly got a ?DR03? last year for peanuts locally (30eu?) but had some doubts, and it definitely doesn't have these other features.

i don't really have much use for outside recording Twisted Evil imagine a mod that swapped the mics for 2 more jack inputs :p

gonna have to think about this. i should have an ooooold roland VS on the way this week, but i'm wondering why now : - /
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other thing that made me keep the ko1 was the possibility of doing some mod to it, because it's so basic. whether via a reclocking rate knob, or something to do with the XY pad and record triggers. there are a couple of youtube vids. but not strictly necessary: i think adding a minikp2 would do it: you get the audio recording on SD and get it into the real world that way.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes those old vs units Cool why not I guess, if it's available.
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a really good time with the ko1 through a monotribe audio inputs .
Gated filter with slight clock drift. Then overdubs or replacings on the fly. Recording for hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: