Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha CS-80
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Yamaha CS-80 Reply with quote

https://www.gearnews.com/yamaha-asks-if-wed-like-to-see-the-return-of-the-cs-80-analogue-polysynth/
ponkine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was Yamaha, I'd take the legendary CS 80 to a new level

That's why it was so iconic, because it was a new level of synth back in 1976

- 2 layers
- 8 voice polyphonic
- settings memory
- both velocity sensitive and aftertouch
- Ribbon controller
- etc

Of course a plain reissue is impractical. Its weight was 100 kg! (220 lb) and it had a lot of stability issues, becaues of heating and other problems

If I had to add something as "hybrid", that would be string machine. NOT the DX7, because it belongs to a completely different era, has NOTHING to do with the CS 80, it's digital and all its presets and FM technology have been copied to death. It's the most overrated synth ever (needless to say, the most dreadful, cheesy and dated ever)

I'd add an hybrid from the SK 30, and functions like split (with independient volume, octave and effects), mono/poly, more presets, delay, reverb, etc

Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-cXBtsguvg
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..if I never get to hear another "classic" analog synth with the resonant filter going "wah - wah - wah" or "wow - wow - wow", that's OK with me...

df
ponkine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Behringer will be cloning the CS80, which of course will make it available at a much better price than any Yamaha effort

They just posted this at their official facebook

Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Behringer intends to re-create the CS80 I don't see the point of Yamaha doing the same especially when you consider the cost involved.
With all the analog components it's going to be a big challenge to bring the weight of this new CS80 down.
Maybe a good digital emulation would do the trick, but that is not going to make the hearts of analog purists beat any faster.
If Yamaha is looking at the past for inspiration, the company has so many other (successful) products and technologies they can bring into the present, why not focus on that instead?
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Now that Behringer intends to re-create the CS80 I don't see the point of Yamaha doing the same especially when you consider the cost involved.
With all the analog components it's going to be a big challenge to bring the weight of this new CS80 down.
Maybe a good digital emulation would do the trick, but that is not going to make the hearts of analog purists beat any faster.
If Yamaha is looking at the past for inspiration, the company has so many other (successful) products and technologies they can bring into the present, why not focus on that instead?

It's one thing to clone a synth company has no intention of reissuing....it's another to stick Yamaha in the eye like that. I say bad form. if anyone should be releasing it, it should be the people who actually created the synth. Money isn't everything.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for "Innovation" to come back into fashion.
All this old recycled gear makes me sad.

Sharp.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you.

While most of the so called tech industry is moving forward, many of our well known MI co's are moving backwards with their 'new' or repackaged products.

I think 98% of product decisions are motivated by money and market share[ a real shocker, for sure]

IOW, the short cut path to a bunch of initial sales is to play the sentimental nostalgia strategy for keyboard/synth owners.
If the 'strategy ' gets traction, the inevitable followers jump on the bandwagon.

Back in the days of covered wagons, these same MI co's would use their resources to actually invent/create new sound sources. This was called 'taking product risk'.
ponkine

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Sharp.

That "old recycled gear" still wipes the floor with any VST and most of new gear, which tend to sound digital, harsh and two dimentional

People and musicians are fed up with the billions of VST and the laptops and ipads addiction for doing everything.

Hardware gear is back!

Very Happy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponkine wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Sharp.

That "old recycled gear" still wipes the floor with any VST and most of new gear, which tend to sound digital, harsh and two dimentional

People and musicians are fed up with the billions of VST and the laptops and ipads addiction for doing everything.

Hardware gear is back!

Very Happy

I think I follow. Software obsession is now being replaced by the original hardware obsession Very Happy
ponkine

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's an obsession. More a kind of relief and freedom from the laptops slavery

And in the long term, hardware synths are way more useful and have better value than any VST

How many VST from 10 years ago do people use?. Probably ZERO. Same with laptops and ipads. No one use a laptop from 10 years ago

But in good condition, you can perfectly use a hardware synth or keyboard from 20, 30 or even 40+ years ago

Very Happy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponkine wrote:
I don't think it's an obsession. More a kind of relief and freedom from the laptops slavery

And in the long term, hardware synths are way more useful and have better value than any VST

How many VST from 10 years ago do people use?. Probably ZERO. Same with laptops and ipads. No one use a laptop from 10 years ago

But in good condition, you can perfectly use a hardware synth or keyboard from 20, 30 or even 40+ years ago

Very Happy

laptop slavery- I like that. Could be a new song title Wink

I am joking around with you on software vs hardware. Its been an ongoing debate for some time.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i would not trade in the orriginal for my Arturia CS80v

why?

Modulation added by Arturian, and all the other things a good daw can add..
I can recreate the orriginal sound. And improve it..
And it all fits in my macbook.

Now if only someone made a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard with ribbon..

Yet on the other side, the cs80 together with the jupiter 8 are my favorite vintage poly synths.. and you know why? .. both where developed with emulating acoustic instruments in mind.. this gives both a harmonic melodic very warm sound,.. in opposite to many modern synths where most people don’t get further then crackling noise and some beeps..
ponkine

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponkine

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised here is our DS-80 design draft;

Multi-Timbral 8-Voice Polyphonic
Analog Synthesizer with Dual Channels
per Voice, Polyphonic Aftertouch,
Ribbon Controller and Patch Memory

We want to be absolutely clear that this a very complex synthesizer project and it is at a very early stage. It will take us a long time to complete, however we are committed to deliver.

Why are we showing you this project at such an early stage? We believe that including you in the design process from the very beginning while help us and the synthesizer community to create a better product - and that's all that matters to us.
Thank you for your participation and now let us hear your feedback... Uli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: