Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA700 Changing the "BREAK" style

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motonekorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: PA700 Changing the "BREAK" style Reply with quote

I can't figure out where or if you can change the type of break in any given style? I've saved a style to my user bank, but the break is not suitable as it ends in a cymbal crash ! There must be a way of changing the type of break that occurs when you hit the break button ?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read your post correctly, you are saying that the break, instead of being some kind of tag to bring the song back in (with a new or current variation), you are hearing a cymbal crash.

I found this also to be the case on many different styles that were transferred from other arrangers, or in styles that I was creating. In my experience, this is because the break part of that style does not have any data in it, so it defaults to cymbal crashes.

The easiest way to remedy this is to go into the style creator/editor and actually program a break. You can do this by tapping on the style to be edited at the top left of the screen when you are in the Style Editor screen.

You have the ability to tailor your style so that it gives you different variations within each variation, including intros/fills/break/endings, by chord types. What this means is that you can have an intro to sound different in a major key than in a minor key, etc...it works this way with any part of the style that you are creating. I believe that you can have up to 6 different variations of each part of the style. In order to achieve this, you will need to program it.

Programming them are pretty easy, but it will take a little time, especially if you choose to program all 6 options of the part that you are wanting to edit. You can specify the length of each variation, chord type, chord itself, etc...for each part of the style, you have up to 8 track/instrument parts available for programming.

It may seem a little overwhelming, but due to the depth of programming that is available on the PA700, the depth is worth it and certainly worth the time to get your style just right.

I would go into the style editor for the style that you want to modify and select the Break in the drop down menu (since this is the part you wish to modify). Listen to what is there. You can delete the information for each instrument part and start over. If there is nothing there except the cymbal crash, then you can delete the drum track and create your own Break for up to 8 instruments, including drums.

When in the Style Editor, you will basically be going into record mode when listening, but if you do not add any note information, you will not be recording anything unless you press a key while listening in record mode. It acts like a MIDI sequencer in that regard.

If the break has full instrumental backing and you want to just delete the crash cymbal, then:

1. Select the drum track.

2. Find the key that has the corresponding Crash Cymbal you want to get rid of.

3. Hit Record (the red button to start/stop playback).

4. Hold the key corresponding to that particular Crash Cymbal down while pressing the Delete Note button on the screen.

5. Hit Start/Stop and then hit it again to listen to what you did. If it worked, then you can save the style like normal. If there are multiple crashes and you only wanted to delete one crash out of many, then you can do what I listed above, hold down the Delete Note button, and hit the corresponding key for the cymbal crash right before it occurs.

If it did not work correctly, you can Undo what you did by touching the top right down arrow on the screen and selecting Undo.

I do not have my PA700 in front of me at present; it is in its case because I have a gig to go to today...I believe that I am pretty accurate on what I wrote though. If I am incorrect, someone let me know. I will also review my recommendation when I get the board out of its case to test and update my post if needed.

Hope this helps a bit...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
motonekorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, very comprehensive I must say ! I'm still delving into the editing capabilities on my PA700 and some of the procedures are a bit bewildering. I'll try this edit today and post the results either way it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: