Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB sticks not working with direct play
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: USB sticks not working with direct play Reply with quote

Hi
wondering if anyone else has had problems with usb sticks that aren't recognised , ie don't work with Direct Play function. The icon stays light grey, same is if no stick was plugged in. I plugged them in the front port.

I found 8 out of the 10 I have don't work.

6 are more than 3 years old. 8 gigs and under.
2 are brand new ( they're actually for my laptop) 128 gigs.

The only 2 that do work are a Sandisk 16 gig I bought recently for the pa4x
And a sandisk cruzer 8 gig I bought a couple or so years ago for my pa3x.

All of them load and save pa4x files via media
But 8 of them don't function with direct play.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰
Wavesart Japanese Grand Piano

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it tonight.
I have a vague feeling that this issue has been reported before (a while ago)

Will get back to you

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rikki , save data of those USB sticks that do not be recognized by your Pa4X , format them on your Pa4X and try again !
Until now I haven't found even one that not working with Pa4x from 1 up to 128 Gb including latest USB3 thumb drives using
media or Direct function !
Also do not edit .SET files or folders using PC or Mac since you add security meta data on files that can't be recognized by PaSeries !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I actually tried formatting a couple of them, made no difference, maybe just too old?

The 2 128 gigs I don't want to touch they're for my laptop. Yet the same stick in the 16 gig version works perfectly.

They all work Perfectly with the Media function, just don't appear to be recognised at all in direct play, as if I had nothing plugged in.

I was actually trying to help a friend who couldn't access direct play mode, his USB stick functions for media file stuff, perfectly well.
We thought he might be doing something wrong. I happened yo grab one of these old sticks ( works in pa3x) and no direct play mode, but I was able to save styles on it.

Strangely enough I have been using korg pa manager to organise my pa3x files, for pa4x , but these files appear to work perfectly on my 16 gig stick in user direct mode.

Weird isn 't it.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
Deane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rikki,
Had the same issue. After I formatted the non-working thumb drives on the PA4X they worked great. I have dozens of thumb drives from years back too - they all worked after formatting them on the keyboard.

Deane
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone
Thank you.
I ended up throwing out 3 of them. Think they must have just been too old.

The other 3 , I am embarrassed to say , were actually ok.

When my good one was plugged in, the direct icon always showed up as dark grey. Same as the factory , and user icons.

When I plugged in the faulty ones. The icon was light grey. So assumed they were all faulty.
Wasn 't till I plugged my good one in the back in and what I thought was a faulty one in the front, the dark icon showed up again and I realised I could access both USB drives.

Still having problem with icon showing up as light grey (even on my good one. )
Turn pa4x off, when I turn it on again later, might show up as dark grey.
Intermittent , but at least they appear to be working.

So thanks guys.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's assumed that you know how Direct function works , may I ask the obvious ?
While in STYLE PLAY or KBD SET Library did you pressed upper screen scroll down menu/Direct Preferences
and picked up from those USB drives the desired xxx.SET you want to assign with Direct function ?

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Though it's assumed that you know how Direct function works , may I ask the obvious ?
While in STYLE PLAY or KBD SET Library did you pressed upper screen scroll down menu/Direct Preferences
and picked up from those USB drives the desired xxx.SET you want to assign with Direct function ?

Hi Antony,
embarrassingly I must admit I obviously didn't exactly know how it worked. Haha.
My assumption was that that the 3 icons factory, user direct had to be dark grey ( turning yellow when touched) and that the USB stick was only accessible when the Direct icon was the dark grey color.

I thought the light grey colour meant that I couldn't use direct access function.
It turned light grey when I unplugged my USB, always turned dark grey when it was plugged back in.

Can't beleive I didn't think to just check the drop down menu.

I didn't even realise I can use the internal hard drive ( empty currently)
for direct access, because when I pressed direct preference it automatically came up with USB f and my set folders.

I had mistakenly thought direct play was only a USB function.

Now even if icon is only showing light grey , I'll check the DROP DOWN menu
first before making assumption USB stick isn't working.

In my defence though, 3 of mine were faulty, not much of an excuse. Haha

Maybe a very minor bug if some USB sticks ,when plugged in, causes the icon to show up as light grey and sometimes dark grey ?

Anyway, thank you.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Hi Antony,
embarrassingly I must admit I obviously didn't exactly know how it worked. Haha.
My assumption was that that the 3 icons factory, user direct had to be dark grey ( turning yellow when touched) and that the USB stick was only accessible when the Direct icon was the dark grey color.

I thought the light grey colour meant that I couldn't use direct access function.
It turned light grey when I unplugged my USB, always turned dark grey when it was plugged back in.

Can't beleive I didn't think to just check the drop down menu.

I didn't even realise I can use the internal hard drive ( empty currently)
for direct access, because when I pressed direct preference it automatically came up with USB f and my set folders.

I had mistakenly thought direct play was only a USB function.

Now even if icon is only showing light grey , I'll check the DROP DOWN menu
first before making assumption USB stick isn't working.

Maybe a very minor bug if some USB sticks ,when plugged in, causes the icon to show up as light grey and sometimes dark grey ?

thank you Antony.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:

Rikki let me make it clear for you , since you still don't get it !
Pa4X OS temporary memorizes the latest X.SET address , if you unplug USB thumb drive then automatically
"Direct" tab gets gray until you insert it again.
If you assign Direct function with another Z.SET from another flash drive , and then you exchange thumb drives with one that
contains X.SET you had worked before ,then tab will be gray again until you re-assign Direct function with X.SET again !
Not a minor bug nor anything ... simple logic function ! and for God's sake , don't throw working thump drives in trash !

Hope this helps

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:

Rikki let me make it clear for you , since you still don't get it !
Pa4X OS temporary memorizes the latest X.SET address , if you unplug USB thumb drive then automatically
"Direct" tab gets gray until you insert it again.
If you assign Direct function with another Z.SET from another flash drive , and then you exchange thumb drives with one that
contains X.SET you had worked before ,then tab will be gray again until you re-assign Direct function with X.SET again !
Not a minor bug nor anything ... simple logic function ! and for God's sake , don't throw working thump drives in trash !

Hope this helps

Hi Anthony,
THANK YOU
finally makes sense.

No, don't worry , I did throw 3 of them out. I think they were far, far , older than I thought. They were only 1 and 2 gig. One I couldn't even format, the other 2 , I was going to use as a backup for my pa800 files.
What took about 20 seconds to transfer PC to a USB 3 stick, was taking about 10 minutes or more on these old drives. Probably not faulty after all, just super slow.
Safer to spend a few dollars and get some new ones if I need them.

Really appreciate your time and help.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rikkisbears wrote:

What took about 20 seconds to transfer PC to a USB 3 stick, was taking about 10 minutes or more on these old drives.

By the way , remember that a SET for exclussive use in Direct function , do not need PCM
so do not waste time copying the whole SET !
Therefore open those sets in your PC/Mac and always delete all other included files in SET
except KEYBOARDSET & STYLES , that are the only files that "Direct" function will read !
This way , a SET needs 10 seconds the most to be copied at the slowest USB flash drive !

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
rikkisbears wrote:

What took about 20 seconds to transfer PC to a USB 3 stick, was taking about 10 minutes or more on these old drives.

By the way , remember that a SET for exclussive use in Direct function , do not need PCM
so do not waste time copying the whole SET !
Therefore open those sets in your PC/Mac and always delete all other included files in SET
except KEYBOARDSET & STYLES , that are the only files that "Direct" function will read !
This way , a SET needs 10 seconds the most to be copied at the slowest USB flash drive !

Thank you Antony
handy to know.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
KumzitzYitz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: PA4X not reading usb stick (f) Reply with quote

PA4X not reading usb stick (f)...and after “korg disk/sd connection” enable, still no access to the usb stick. Exit doesn’t work at this point and even after usb stick is removed, the only way “out” is to power it off. Said usb stick is 64gb and works fine in any windows computer. I dinmt wven get to format it in the PA4X. What am I doing wrong?[/b]
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do other USB sticks work OK?

Try a different brand of USB - some are not good.

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: