Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Successor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpowell01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With HOPES:

1. With CURRENT technologies out there first and foremost maybe Korg will re code their Kernal to enable 64bit. Just by doing that alone will cut the boot up to mere seconds because 64bit will enable more memory, as long as Korg used the better hardware next time around and not some hardware that was made 10 years ago. More memory will allow more sampling data.

2. Set up the next board to allow AUTOMATIC and USER banks to be added on their own. I know it would not be hard whatsoever to create the code. 10+ years Alesis Fusion allowed this and it was worth buying the the Fusion just to have such setup.

Other that those two things I cannot think of anything else to be honest.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one glaring omission that no one ever seems to mention in all these numerous threads wishing and whining for a real Kronos successor.

What if they lack the engineering resources?

Korg has had quite a few technical flops and marketing near misses lately*, and it's costing them (KingKorg*, Electribe2*, NuTube*). That's R&D, mass production, and marketing all down the toilet. They need to milk their best-selling flagship because it gets the most return for the least amount of new investment. They're not that large a company, but everyone's gotta get paid.

------------------

Think about that engineer Tats who designed the latest iteration of Korg analog engines. It started with the monotribe, then the Volcas. That tech made it into the Monologue, then Minilogue, then Prologue*, and now Minilogue XD. Tats left Korg almost 3 years ago now.

I'm thinking it's probably the same for the Oasys - Kronos - Grandstage* - Vox Continental* iterations. The underlying tech is the same, the original engineers not in the game, and they don't seem to have the (newer) engineering resources to really innovate.

It seems like all the fresh, real engineering talent isn't being retained at Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, and Yamaha. They seem to have either retired or gone to boutiques, software development, and Music Group. my2c
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
janrhansen wrote:

But seriously Korg ... use some engineer money to port the system from the Atom to just a mobile i3 or i5 processor.... Just a modern i3 is like 5-10 times as powerfull as any of the latest Atom cpu's. Its a dead-end series of tech only used for cheap crap in embedded systems that don't need any real processing power, but just need to be able to talk to the world to send and recieve some data, like a petrol pump that verifies a credit card.

Seriously, write to Korgs CEO and Chairman[Korg Japan]. That what some serious minded Kronos owners have done .

I am of the opinion that posting on here , will not motivate Korg. The CEO and Chairman are the top 2 decision makers. Thats the direct approach.

I second that. Having sent letters in Early Feb to both USA and Japan CEO's offices, they have refused to respond or acknowledge the letters. how disrespectful of them. I shall indeed send again, this time, tracked documents with a cover letter to the original documents. Let's see then what has to be said, if again, no response, it demonstrates that the new management have no interest in customers, only themselves and shareholders. Make of it what thou will.

lol

lew
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But manufacturing and selling boutique synths is/are expensive. Kronos is cheaper not to mention all the cheaper Korg products. People are buying expensive synths...Solaris, Moog, Dave Smith/Sequential and others. These companies are still alive and thriving selling expensive analogues synths.

What’s the issue with the 4 x Work Station manufacturers?. Maybe it’s because it’s the same old crapola work station and people are sick of it.

These workstations are just a variation on a theme...same same for three decades now actually since the M1.

They need to release a Hybrid Work Station now!!!...The left side of the keyboard should look like an analogue synth, all the knobs buttons, sliders etc, the middle a large touch screen, the right side the usual numeric keys, dial, preset buttons etc. a full power house behemoth.

Price? Yeah, it will be expensive but revolutionary.

Moog One is expensive....and they can’t keep up with demand. I believe a Hybrid work station will make a killing.

What these synth companies should do is this...do a god damn Apple, Samsung and now Tesla...build your own synth online, add what you want to your basket, what you can afford to pay so to speak, pay at the check out and have it delivered to you. You have the possibility to upgrade later when you have more cash.

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS Successor? Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Kevbo wrote:
I am still very disappointed with the lackluster user interface of the Kronos. Looks like something out of the 80s.

Judging with your nonexistent experience with the Kronos is ridiculous.

Not if the OP tried it out in a store. What's the matter, Rigel? Are we a bit cross?

Kevbo wrote:
So I was ready to pull the trigger on my first Kronos, and go with the SE, though I am not fond of that color, and the more and more I do research, it appears nothing has changed for years with the new Kronos. I am still very disappointed with the lackluster user interface of the Kronos. Looks like something out of the 80s.

Korg just announced an OS update and updates to put the new SE sounds in the rest of the Kronos lineup, so you don't have to deal with the color of the SE.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
There is one glaring omission that no one ever seems to mention in all these numerous threads wishing and whining for a real Kronos successor.

------------------

Think about that engineer Tats who designed the latest iteration of Korg analog engines. It started with the monotribe, then the Volcas. That tech made it into the Monologue, then Minilogue, then Prologue*, and now Minilogue XD. Tats left Korg almost 3 years ago now.

I'm thinking it's probably the same for the Oasys - Kronos - Grandstage* - Vox Continental* iterations. The underlying tech is the same, the original engineers not in the game, and they don't seem to have the (newer) engineering resources to really innovate.

It seems like all the fresh, real engineering talent isn't being retained at Korg, Roland, Kurzweil, and Yamaha. They seem to have either retired or gone to boutiques, software development, and Music Group. my2c

We have discussed this just not in your exact context.

Korg does have engineers. The fact is they are being used on new product development.

Korg's priorities are selling new products. Realistically, thats what most co's focus on.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:

Korg has had quite a few technical flops and marketing near misses lately*, and it's costing them (KingKorg*, Electribe2*, NuTube*). That's R&D, mass production, and marketing all down the toilet. They need to milk their best-selling flagship because it gets the most return for the least amount of new investment. They're not that large a company, but everyone's gotta get paid.

------------------

I don’t think engineers are an endangered species. If anything they should be getting better as they “stand on the shoulders of giants”.
Kevbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS Successor? Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Rigel wrote:
Kevbo wrote:
I am still very disappointed with the lackluster user interface of the Kronos. Looks like something out of the 80s.

Not if the OP tried it out in a store. What's the matter, Rigel? Are we a bit cross?

Kevbo wrote:
So I was ready to pull the trigger on my first Kronos, and go with the SE, though I am not fond of that color, and the more and more I do research, it appears nothing has changed for years with the new Kronos. I am still very disappointed with the lackluster user interface of the Kronos. Looks like something out of the 80s.

Korg just announced an OS update and updates to put the new SE sounds in the rest of the Kronos lineup, so you don't have to deal with the color of the SE.

Ah...good to know. Thank you! And yes, I have played them many times at guitar center, spending hours looking through the interface and playing. Not impressed with the interface. Sounds great, though!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS Successor? Reply with quote

Kevbo wrote:
ITguy54 wrote:
Rigel wrote:
Kevbo wrote:

Kevbo wrote:

Ah...good to know. Thank you! And yes, I have played them many times at guitar center, spending hours looking through the interface and playing. Not impressed with the interface. Sounds great, though!

I'm just curious as to what exactly is it that you don't like about the interface? Also, which keyboards out there have an interface that you prefer?
Myself, i have no problem with it. I've had a Kronos 73 since it first came out and I'm absolutely enthralled with it. The only problems I've ever had with it are the ones that I myself caused simply through my own stupidity. I didn't back up my data, or I messed up a function or something like that.
I play mine almost every day and each and every time without exception, my Kronos never fails to amaze me. Truth be told, I think it would be difficult to improve on to an extent that would make me replace it. There are still so very many things that I have yet to explore on it. Mod7 for example. Just that one engine is incredibly powerful. I don't think anybody has yet to explore it's full potential. I do however understand the hesitation because of the possibility of a newer and better machine coming out. The thing is though, since you never actually know if a new one is coming, how d you make the decision? It's not like buying a car where you know that it's highly unlikely that any new improvements will be that drastic.
I wish you luck in whatever it is you decide to do.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Kevbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS Successor? Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
Kevbo wrote:
ITguy54 wrote:
Rigel wrote:
Kevbo wrote:

Kevbo wrote:

I'm just curious as to what exactly is it that you don't like about the interface? Also, which keyboards out there have an interface that you prefer?
Myself, i have no problem with it. I've had a Kronos 73 since it first came out and I'm absolutely enthralled with it. The only problems I've ever had with it are the ones that I myself caused simply through my own stupidity. I didn't back up my data, or I messed up a function or something like that.
I play mine almost every day and each and every time without exception, my Kronos never fails to amaze me. Truth be told, I think it would be difficult to improve on to an extent that would make me replace it. There are still so very many things that I have yet to explore on it. Mod7 for example. Just that one engine is incredibly powerful. I don't think anybody has yet to explore it's full potential. I do however understand the hesitation because of the possibility of a newer and better machine coming out. The thing is though, since you never actually know if a new one is coming, how d you make the decision? It's not like buying a car where you know that it's highly unlikely that any new improvements will be that drastic.
I wish you luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

What I don't like about it is how plain it looks. I know that may be a silly thing (aesthetics), but for me, it's important. I just a white background with black text for select instruments through the lists. A really pretty interface is the Roland Fantom G series. Check that out if you haven't. It's an older board, but still very beautiful.

I get it. People here who are huge Kronos fans will want to defend the board, and I think it's a fantastic board the few times I got the play with it. I can probably have many years of fun with it.

You're right. We have no idea if and when another board would be coming out to replace the Kronos. But the Kronos is still an almost $4,000 board using some pretty old tech. I wish it would be 64-bit, a larger capacity hard drive, as well as a few other things.

I don't really know how else they can improve the sounds, as opposed to all these third party companies making their own packs to download which is great! I would buy the Kronos YESTERDAY if they made a complete overall with an update to the interface.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish it would be 64-bit, a larger capacity hard drive, as well as a few other things.

Really, are we going to compose a better music on a 64bit Kronos with, why not, a - 4K 32" screen, 64GB ram and 10TB SSD ?

Did we ever think how lucky we are to play on such an instrument ?

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote "Moog One is expensive....and they can’t keep up with demand. I believe a Hybrid work station will make a killing. "

I agree with that because Moog has a "sound" but I am not sure that Kronos has a "sound", it has plenty of sounds but, helas, not a sound that makes a true legend.
Wait wait wait. I am optimist for Korg to find something NEW

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same way when I bought mine - that a UI upgrade would be nice. I still think that to some extent.

In its defense, it grows on you. My impression a year into owning one is that a lot of thought has gone into making the UI extremely fast and fluid- after you have learned it well.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I felt the same way when I bought mine - that a UI upgrade would be nice. I still think that to some extent.

In its defense, it grows on you. My impression a year into owning one is that a lot of thought has gone into making the UI extremely fast and fluid- after you have learned it well.

I call that 'muscle memory'.

as per some of the above posts, I am not sure some folks understand why Kronos is still popular.

I don't over focus on spec or 1 particular feature[ that might be lacking etc].

The strength of Kronos is the sum of its parts plus sample streaming.

Not the individual parts, like addressable memory, etc.
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In just a few years the jump in computer technology will put the workstation out of work if it has not already. Keyboard mfrs have to make keyboards its really a question of do they want to re-invent the wheel via a next gen workstation or somehow bridge the gap between software & hardware? In 2019 why should I try to make a Kronos sound like a Jupiter 8 when I can just use the plug in? Then when I get tired of that plug in, I move on to something else. You can't do with a work station. AL1 been around 10+ years. If it's not already in a preset, it's not getting used at all because there are better & easier ways to get the same result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: