Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Melodic Krell Patch on a Eurorack Modular

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Melodic Krell Patch on a Eurorack Modular Reply with quote

My take on a Krell Patch but this time with a Quantizer on the Random for a more Melodic take on it. Main Clock from Maths Channel 4 EOC going into Disting MK4 for S&H and from there to o_C for Quantizing and then going to DPO. The Final Output of DPO goes into a MultiFilter BP and then on to a Monsoon aka Clouds. I am also using another 2 Make Noise Contours for a total of 4 Function Generators.

https://youtu.be/tNi-OLDP86k
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an amazing sounding patch. Organic procedural sound creation is one of my reasons to get into modular synthesis. I see a Hermod in there flashing away but you don't mention it as part of the patch. Is it providing anything?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark, the Hermod is there but was not doing anything in this patch, this
patch was more ,,all over the place'' Clock, the Pitch was only Quantized thru u o_C
and random Clocks and Envelopes were coming from Maths and 2 Contours.
I love self Generating Patches where the Modular plays it self without repeating
but i am more of an East Cost person, i am not the Krell or West Coast person.
With me everything has to be in Tune, lol...well you see me on Korg Forums.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I didn't think it was going to anything in the patch, but it's hard to follow cables in such a populated rack! I'm familiar with Forbidden Planet, but was semi-unaware there is a culture around creating the Krell song until your post. Might have to have ago myself Surprised

I think that most people are "eastcoast" people, or at least are brought into synthesis via eastcoast sounds and ethics. In the end it's the form that is more about playing music in a traditional manner: carve out a waveform, wiggle it a little bit here and there, then play a tune! Even big polyphonic synth pads are generally used for the traditionally orchestral elements of musical piece.
"Westcoast" is way more useful for the sfx thing, like The Krell Patch. I do enjoy it though. It's as much of a challenge to create an amazing ethereal ambient sound using an additive process as creating a patch on a subtractive that is usable for performing with. Instruments like the Microwaves lend themselves to both situations, but in the end I feel that modular is really where to go for that westcoast sound.

Over the years of being told I'm not a musician and I just press a button while the synth does everything, I recently became rather interested in self generative patches mainly for that reason. I want to be able to say "yeah, that's all I do, just plug in a bunch of wires and press play". It'll be so much easier than trying to explain that it's not just pressing buttons to someone who'll never accept I can play an instrument (even when they seen me play a guitar!).
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Krell Patch lately has it self become some sort of a Cult with people
dedicating all of their gear and weeks of work just for one Krell Patch, it has
been long like this already. Make Noise and few other got them into this.
If you look for Krell Patch on YT you will find miliones of takes on it.
Lately at least to me, self generative music became something like...how to
explain, i feel i am more involved in it than even when i play a keyboard.
When i play a Keyboard i know exactly what to touch and what to do, in here
needs a lot of thinking before touching or pushing things, it requires you to
connect with the machine more than when just playing keyboard. Its like the
machine is part of you, its a flow, it is different than when i play a keyboard.
As far as the Coast think, as of now most of the Eurorack community is turning
West Coast, be aware, a lot of them are not Musicians so it is a lot easier to
just patch thing and do BlipBlops and Bongos like the West Coast.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of didn't realise how much of an obsession a self-propagating modular-synth patch could become. I had thought about my chasing the concept as a bit like that.
I tend to shy away from modular communities for some reason, so have not really noticed how many enthusiast are not actually from a musician background, though throughout the year was well aware that electronics boffins did tend to like the modular synth world. Meeting some modular freaks though buying second-hand gear and a particular music store has been great though, great to talk about things that even the most obsessive synth programmer will say "you are saying words I don't know the meaning of" when mentioned!
I know what you mean about 'becoming the machine' and embrace the feeling. I've always said when the Borg arrives to assimilate my biological technological distinctiveness, I would say "no worries, sign me up!" Wink
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Brother but Modular is another World and feelings where everything
and anything is possible and where rules do not exist. Look at this video, it is a Drum Module
but look what i mainly use it for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ILYlq_52g&t=419s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: