Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Krome EX
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both have the valid point about Krome's keybed. I agree with you, I think there is a lot to be desired about it. But I don't find it unplayable.
Hell, in this era of midi controllers, most of them have horrible keybeds and still people buy them. When I was about to purchase 61 key midi controller, I tested a lot and all were horrible and unplayable, but one - Roland A800 pro. At the same time, I tested Krome keybed and it was playable.
So, considering the fact that Krome doesn't cost that much more than a controller and one does get a plenty for the price, I still think it's a decent unit. For the price.
Upgrade really should been more significant, that's all.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the Roland A-x00PRO keybed, shrike...I've been using a 2-1/2 octave A-300PRO for years as a right-hand controller with the Kronos, and I think it's about the best MIDI controller keyboard / keybed around, and with all those fully-programmable (SYSEX!) switches / knobs / sliders / pads, too...but when looking for an inexpensive 5-octave controller for another application, I saw that the A-800PRO sold for $400+; again, it seems like all of those good-quality keys cost money...still, I'd have been happy to pay a couple hundred more for a Krome with a better keybed, but as always, that was a marketing decision...

df
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner,

I have A800pro 61 keys for a few years and it's a keeper. I'm never gonna sell it and I hope it will work without any errors for years to come, it truly is a very good keybed, although keys are slightly smaller than usual.
But the price I paid for that controller was rather high. That's why I think Krome was and still is a compromise. It's rather affordable. If Korg decided to implement good keybed, probably the price would be significantly higher.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Krome 73 and the MODX7, I realized that the cost of a higher-quality keybed is not only in the cost per key but the whole keybed support structure...inexpensive keybeds are usually made up of two molded plastic parts per octave (black keys and white keys, maybe with metal weights glued under the keys), with key return action being provided by the flexibility of the plastic; while the better-feeling, more expensive keybeds have more rigid individually-molded keys, along with return springs and weights, etc., for each key...the support structure for inexpensive keybeds is simply molded into the bottom of the keyboard's case, to which the black/white key pieces are attached with screws; but the better keybeds need an additional strong (removable) support structure for the keys, with precise attachment points for each key, return spring, hammers, etc...again, mo' money...

I've always wondered how long the flexible plastic keys in inexpensive keybeds will last, but it's probably been engineered (over-engineered?) to match the life of other components, or at least until the instrument itself would be considered obsolete...

df
narkosys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Krome 61 and it seems that its keys are better quality than the new one at my local music store. the hinging is still in the same awful location but my keys seems to feel thicker and more robust.

I am in need of 88 keys at this time so I am saving for something more substantial. Just not sure what yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: