Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos SE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thiagotgc wrote:
Any news of when are they going to release the EXs21 and EXs272 packages for download?

Nothing on that, so far.
Moonglow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
here is 1 more diff with the SE; additional Programs in user banks:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/441/4207/

Thanks for that Greg! Somewhat disappointed the program list reveals no new mono pianos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonglow wrote:
GregC wrote:
here is 1 more diff with the SE; additional Programs in user banks:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/1/441/4207/

Thanks for that Greg! Somewhat disappointed the program list reveals no new mono pianos.

I noticed that . Maybe there is a mono and its not titled ?

I would have thought Korg was serious about a mono piano, as it is in demand
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
I'm not going to lie, I was really disappointed by this release. I have built my whole studio around my Kronos, but it's beginning to show its age. From a hardware perspective, it's really not much more powerful than the OASYS, which is 14 years old.

I'm under no allusions that Korg are obligated to provide us with new products or upgrades. However, I'm also not obligated to keep buying their products. I have no interest in toy synths (Volcas, Minilogues). I have tried them and they did nothing for me.

If that's their business strategy, then fine. It's not a strategy that works for me. But I do wonder what Dan and co have been working on for the past few years - they must have something in the pipeline. My worry is it might be too little, too late.

If they're not going to release new models, the least they could do is ensure parts are readily available for their existing flagship so that existing users can keep them going.

+1

I fully agree with you.

Problem is, we are getting too old for Korg to care Sad

All these new "mini" retro synths is for the young buyers that wont pay for a 3-5K monster that does it all .. and the music scene is moving away from workstations .. look at the competition. no-one has come up with a "new" workstation keyboard the last decade .. its only replications of old business successes. Look how Yamaha angered like 98% of their MOTIF custommers with the Montage ... wich is an excelent machine .. for some .. geared more towards "DJ's" and synth programmers than touring and session musicians.

I circled for long around Montage vs Kronos 2. In many ways the Montage Motion control sounds much more musical than Karma ever did, but even it lags some editing the Sequencer/daw of Kronos won. I knew i prolly wouldn't be using either the motion seq or Karma very much anyway .. its way to involved to program it for anything usefull for what I am gonna use it for. Great if people really have all the time in the world to get to know it to its fully potentional. In both cases the onboard motion sequences and Karma patterns is just demos of what the sound can be used for.

Would love to see the new italian Piano download just like the german grand came for existent Kronos 1/x users. And I fell for the keys of the Kronos 2 73.. really like the keybeds action even its hard for my little old left hand used to a lightweight 76 key Yamaha P9000Pro wich really needed an update.

But Korg has to up their work on some parts ... WHERE is the grid/list editor of the sequencer ??? .. Even my old T-3 had a step editor. Are you listening Korg ?
The CX-3 engine is well .. meehh .. sounds ok when not to loud in a mix, but its a complete joke compard to my Crumar Mojo61 wich drives the CX3 engine completely into the ground. But god I love the Pianos of the Kronos
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:
I'm not going to lie, I was really disappointed by this release. I have built my whole studio around my Kronos, but it's beginning to show its age. From a hardware perspective, it's really not much more powerful than the OASYS, which is 14 years old.

I'm under no allusions that Korg are obligated to provide us with new products or upgrades. However, I'm also not obligated to keep buying their products. I have no interest in toy synths (Volcas, Minilogues). I have tried them and they did nothing for me.

If that's their business strategy, then fine. It's not a strategy that works for me. But I do wonder what Dan and co have been working on for the past few years - they must have something in the pipeline. My worry is it might be too little, too late.

If they're not going to release new models, the least they could do is ensure parts are readily available for their existing flagship so that existing users can keep them going.

+1

I fully agree with you.

Problem is, we are getting too old for Korg to care Sad

All these new "mini" retro synths is for the young buyers that wont pay for a 3-5K monster that does it all .. and the music scene is moving away from workstations .. look at the competition. no-one has come up with a "new" workstation keyboard the last decade .. its only replications of old business successes. Look how Yamaha angered like 98% of their MOTIF custommers with the Montage ... wich is an excelent machine .. for some .. geared more towards "DJ's" and synth programmers than touring and session musicians.

I circled for long around Montage vs Kronos 2. In many ways the Montage Motion control sounds much more musical than Karma ever did, but even it lags some editing the Sequencer/daw of Kronos won. I knew i prolly wouldn't be using either the motion seq or Karma very much anyway .. its way to involved to program it for anything usefull for what I am gonna use it for. Great if people really have all the time in the world to get to know it to its fully potentional. In both cases the onboard motion sequences and Karma patterns is just demos of what the sound can be used for.

Would love to see the new italian Piano download just like the german grand came for existent Kronos 1/x users. And I fell for the keys of the Kronos 2 73.. really like the keybeds action even its hard for my little old left hand used to a lightweight 76 key Yamaha P9000Pro wich really needed an update.

But Korg has to up their work on some parts ... WHERE is the grid/list editor of the sequencer ??? .. Even my old T-3 had a step editor. Are you listening Korg ?
The CX-3 engine is well .. meehh .. sounds ok when not to loud in a mix, but its a complete joke compard to my Crumar Mojo61 wich drives the CX3 engine completely into the ground. But god I love the Pianos of the Kronos

I love your cooment about the CX3 engine being MEHHHH! Yes I agree. doesn't sound sexy, so much so I don't use the organ presets with that engine, it's weak, unattractive, about as appealing as a 6ft7 trans hooker called larriana lol. Sequencing with the kronos does leave a bit to be desired. For me, the pianos are decent, but I'm still searching for something that's as good as a nord stage 3 sample library. ok that's me being picky.

I too wish korg would release the italian grand as a download as well as the kapro library being offered, otherwise it's a bit of a sales pull. isn't it?

anyway, busy day here.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
For me, the pianos are decent, but I'm still searching for something that's as good as a nord stage 3 sample library. ok that's me being picky.

Yeah and funny how different our ears is. I tried the Nord a couple years back and ran screeming away as I heard their download sample library thinking "Are they serious ?... They call that a sample library of 2017" .. sounded as bad as EMU did back in the late 80'ies .. but hey !! Retro is "IN" Laughing

I would however love for someone go nuts with sample robot on the Yamaha Motif library Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
[q.. They call that a sample library of 2017" .. sounded as bad as EMU did back in the late 80'ies .. but hey !! Retro is "IN" Laughing

I would however love for someone go nuts with sample robot on the Yamaha Motif library Cool

Thats great news for me ! All my songs are retro. Stuck in the 70's/80's
Very Happy
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Kronos OS update -> next gen Kronos Reply with quote

As the hardware has not changed (beside Sunburst Case) I think its time for a firmware update as our Kronos 2015 is still up to date Smile.

I want the new itallian grand, as it keeps from buying a real Fazioli Wink.

BTW: I guess Krog is reworking the Software and a new UI for the Kronos successor which will get rid of the a old fashioned UI. This takes a lot of time and so we did not see the nex gen Kronos this Namm 2019...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos OS update -> next gen Kronos Reply with quote

Hyper_LFO wrote:
As the hardware has not changed (beside Sunburst Case) I think its time for a firmware update as our Kronos 2015 is still up to date Smile.

I want the new itallian grand, as it keeps from buying a real Fazioli Wink.

BTW: I guess Krog is reworking the Software and a new UI for the Kronos successor which will get rid of the a old fashioned UI. This takes a lot of time and so we did not see the nex gen Kronos this Namm 2019...

Agreed, there is a long list of additional features/improvements that long time
Kronos owners want and believe that Korg " should be " working on.

Especially given the long passage of time, and no OS update for 2 solid years.

Given what I see Korg offering at NAMM 2018/2019 , I could argue that Korgs priorities are elsewhere.

And what we have with Kronos is as good as it gets for a work station. Nothing essentially wrong with that circumstance. There is a ton of enjoyment with Kronos, whatever the color of the chassis Smile

But there is no tangible promise by Korg that we can expect further significant development of Kronos. Don't expect Korg to read web site posts here. There presence here mostly ceased over 2 years ago.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
For me, the pianos are decent, but I'm still searching for something that's as good as a nord stage 3 sample library. ok that's me being picky.

Yeah and funny how different our ears is. I tried the Nord a couple years back and ran screeming away as I heard their download sample library thinking "Are they serious ?... They call that a sample library of 2017" .. sounded as bad as EMU did back in the late 80'ies .. but hey !! Retro is "IN" Laughing

OH GOD YES!!!! Now you're talking. Always wanted a Motif XF, when the time came to do it, discontinued in favour of the montage, where the interface is about as sexy as a dwarf trying to appear as an icecream cone with a perm in crisis lol. I'd love for someone to resample the Motif series.

The weird thing is, in a way, I miss some of EMU's gear, but at the same time, had a proteus 2500 years back (used), yuck, now I know why I lost the love for EMU, that said, the only EMU I loved was the emulator II / III.

The nord piano libraries are ok, but there's been no real movement on them and if you look at how nord are with the piano 4, still 64 note poly and not enough sample ram, yet the stage 3 when it came out doubled it, but shot itself in the foot with synth section amongst other things. I had hoped that Namm 2019 would have seen a new rig... no.... WHAT DID THEY COME OUT WITH? Personal MONITORS for the NORD PIANO 4! Laughing I just couldn't believe it. it's like korg leaving keyboards, synthes, etc and then coming out with cozy sweaters.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
[quwith a perm in crisis lol. I'd love for someone to resample the Motif series.

The weird thing is, in a way, I miss some of EMU's gear, but at the same time, had a proteus 2500 years back (used), yuck, now I know why I lost the love for EMU, that said, the only EMU I loved was the emulator II / III.

T

Since the SE is not a riveting topic, I agree, lets go else where, LOL

I had Emu's XL-1 fully expanded, blown out, what have you. But it was beastly to tame and I lost patience with the thing.

I think it has been sampled, which is on my shopping list. I also prowl my local craigs list for the XL-1 , just for fun.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EMU Proteus 2k has a dirty organ sound which can add a nice flavour to a mix ;-)
Purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this thread makes interesting reading. Reality is I'm happy with what korg has done.. But my only gripe with korg and the kronos is they need to make it 64bit, allow us to add the 8Gb Ram the motherboards are capable of using and add some more banks. There is nothing else that is needed apart from any new sound engines that they want to release as was really promised when the whole kronos system came out. So far only thing they have done is updated the sgx engine to sgx2.. Which it should have been like that from day one.. But they never updated the sgx1 pianos to sgx2.. Which they should have and added the missing parts to them.. Eg una corda to the German, Austrian and Japanese pianos.

And no I'm not buying a second one till they fix the os to the above. Also allow us to use our purchased sounds on whichever kronos we own by deactivating the purchase and reactivating for our other kronos(s).
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purgatory wrote:
Wow this thread makes interesting reading. Reality is I'm happy with what korg has done.. But my only gripe with korg and the kronos is they need to make it 64bit, allow us to add the 8Gb Ram the motherboards are capable of using and add some more banks. There is nothing else that is needed apart from any new sound engines that they want to release as was really promised when the whole kronos system came out. So far only thing they have done is updated the sgx engine to sgx2.. Which it should have been like that from day one.. But they never updated the sgx1 pianos to sgx2.. Which they should have and added the missing parts to them.. Eg una corda to the German, Austrian and Japanese pianos.

And no I'm not buying a second one till they fix the os to the above. Also allow us to use our purchased sounds on whichever kronos we own by deactivating the purchase and reactivating for our other kronos(s).

Hey there,

If you have a look at the spec for the current mainboard for the kronos 2, you'll find it in my post regarding kronos architecture, you'll note that ASROCK gives some board specs including RAM support. states max it handles is 4gb, but that said, as a single slot runs a 4gb stick, it should handle 8gb without an issue as it has been done on similar boards. the issue is the x86 instruction set for that board, yes 64 bit is doable for this board, the question is, how stable will it be as it's a 1.86ghz atom processor. I reckon it's doable.

If you really want to make your voice heard on this, write to Korg directly... here's the details. hope to god I don't get kicked off here lol but I've done this myself, same letter to both offices and presidents / CEO's. if it doesn't get to one, it gets to the other.

To: Mr. Seiki Kato, Mr. Makoto Kato, Mr. Makoto Kobayashi, Mr. Tomoko Kosaka, Mr. Sakae Yoshinaga.
℅: KORG. Inc.
4015-2,
Yanokuchi,
Inagi-shi,
Tokyo,
206-0812,
Japan

Also..

To: Mr. Joseph Castronovo.
℅: KORG USA. Inc.
316 South Service Road,
Melville,
N.Y.
U.S.A.

Please note: the above is publicly available information and not private data.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
Purgatory wrote:

Hey there,

If you have a look at the spec for the current mainboard for the kronos 2, you'll find it in my post regarding kronos architecture, you'll note that ASROCK gives some board specs including RAM support. states max it handles is 4gb, but that said, as a single slot runs a 4gb stick, it should handle 8gb without an issue as it has been done on similar boards. the issue is the x86 instruction set for that board, yes 64 bit is doable for this board, the question is, how stable will it be as it's a 1.86ghz atom processor. I reckon it's doable.

If you really want to make your voice heard on this, write to Korg directly... here's the details. hope to god I don't get kicked off here lol but I've done this myself, same letter to both offices and presidents / CEO's. if it doesn't get to one, it gets to the other.

To: Mr. Seiki Kato, Mr. Makoto Kato, Mr. Makoto Kobayashi, Mr. Tomoko Kosaka, Mr. Sakae Yoshinaga.
℅: KORG. Inc.
4015-2,
Yanokuchi,
Inagi-shi,
Tokyo,
206-0812,
Japan

Also..

To: Mr. Joseph Castronovo.
℅: KORG USA. Inc.
316 South Service Road,
Melville,
N.Y.
U.S.A.

Please note: the above is publicly available information and not private data.

Lew, you should have no fear. Your letters will not be the only one.

In terms of approach, I think as long as we are genuine , that should resonate.

My letter is going out 2/28. I mentioned taking this month after NAMM to see what Korgs priorities are.

If nothing by 2/28, my letter will request whether or not Korg is supporting
Kronos by virtue of a further OS update. If so, we would appreciate knowing the
estimated time of it, within a 45 day window.

" We are working on it " is not enough for me. I am requesting an estimated date and allowing a 45 day slip.

I think our K's are limited thus its not clear how deep in features we can expect.
Just the same, if this is the case, and very little can be done, the President
can advise us this.

I think it is good business to be frank and clear about your flag ship product.
Many of us owners are realistic. I think clear communication from Korg
will go a long way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: