Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2019
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: NAMM 2019 Reply with quote

Don't mind Sharp if you remove this thread - but just thought I'd start a generic NAMM 2019 thread to capture all news in one overarching thread.

Initiated because - I have to say - from what Korg, Yamaha and AKAI have announced so far - I'm excited.

As for Korg specifically - it's more of an evolution than revolution year - but - personally I'm delighted to see them stick to their existing products and put a new sheen on them - it tells us they believe in them.

The Minilogue XD is maturing into a very interesting synth, Kronos looks stunning ( I know everyone wants more updates but when you step back and look at that Kronos ES as an overall package it's mind-blowing) - while - as much as I'm gritting my teeth saying it - that little Volca Modular looks enticing!

Very much looking froward to all the announcements to come over the next week or two.
lidserter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the expansion libraries for korg Kross 2! It's a killer machine for the money and I'm quite interested on those libraries. Since the product launch on September 2017 the libraries are promised to be "released following KROSS 2"...
Hey! Just looked the site and we now have a Kross Special!
"KROSS Special Edition
Four new neon-colored models of the KORG KROSS
The KORG KROSS 61-key model, popular for its class-beating performance and stylish design, is now joined by new models in a variety of colors. The lightweight body that makes the KROSS so easy to transport is a perfect match for the four new neon colors: green, orange, red, and blue.

These models also have additional PCM that provides special pre-installed piano and electric piano sounds, as well as synth and drum sounds that meet the needs of cutting edge EDM producers. "

New pcm... #&$@#&#!!!

Regards.
JJ
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AKAI Force looks like a great product.
https://force.akaipro.com/

Kind of disappointed to see KORG released another KRONOS. I was hoping for something new. Something 64bit that can load lots of samples please.

Regards
Sharp.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Kind of disappointed to see KORG released another KRONOS. I was hoping for something new. Something 64bit that can load lots of samples please.

Regards
Sharp.

Agree it looks stunning - but I'm skeptical about the features it offers beyond the Push 2 which is less than half the price.

And a bit like with the NI Kontrol - I'm a bit skeptical about small screens offering the same functionality as a computer offers - after all wasn't the move to computer to get away from small / fiddly screens ? Smile
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the main advantage of the AKAI Force is that it's a stand alone unit. No PC needed.

If they ever release a new S Series sampler, I'd buy it in a heart beat just for the giggles. Love my S5000 & S6000

Regards
Sharp.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rarely come across a more glowing endorsement of a synth than in this review.

I wasn't, in any way, contemplating a Minilogue. Now I am!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/15/korg-minilogue-xd-review/?fbclid=IwAR1DdpiJJKm9CqUWr11rnuF6Yx0kN3ZpUB8GWgcs-XH38oc0K-8eWoszElU&guccounter=1
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three octaves, Kevin, really?
After all the Prophet 6 four octaves debates? Smile
lidserter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice concept that Force. I would have chosen standard midi connectors for better reliability on stage.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
Nice concept that Force. I would have chosen standard midi connectors for better reliability on stage.

Oh dear so although it's a Circuit beater in most ways, it's still using 8th" MIDI ports...WHY????
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Akai Professional thinks that most of their customers don't really want to fiddle with MIDI. They want that clip/sample action.

They may even be right.

The rest of the world goes to Circuit or Deluge or even Electribe.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Three octaves, Kevin, really?
After all the Prophet 6 four octaves debates? Smile

... and slim keys Smile

(I've been working out - loosing weight - I think my fingers might fit now !!)
gjvti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp.

yes, this is what Korg should have done with its premium assets and knowledge - I mean crossing Electribe with Kronos engines... But now since I have got Synthstrom Deluge I haven't even touched my Korg and other gear.... that is it.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland has been remarkably quiet.
Usually there are some announcements before NAMM, but so far not even a whisper.

For KORG's KRONOS there simply is no alternative, and that of course is not an incentive to come up with a new successor, while the KORG Krome also receives nothing other than a sound upgrade. Disappointing.
marc1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing.

I second that. Almost every Namm since the last 4 or 5 years has been nothing but disappointing. I wonder what these companies are up to. The only positive exception, I have to say, is Akai. That's a company which almost seemed finished, not willing or able to compete with the likes of Native Instruments and their acclaimed Maschine. And then they introduced MPC X and MPC live which for many changed that perspective and since then they seem to be on a good track again. Let's see if others can get on track again too.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Akai really stands out in a positive way with the MPC and now the Force.
And this NAMM very likely will also keep up the tradition of previous NAMM shows as far as new product releases is concerned.
I'd love to be wrong about that.

One other thing, real-time control over (software-) instruments is essential to many musicians, and I am surprised that thusfar none of the big companies tried to come up with something similar to the Roli Rise.
Controllers always tend to be more of the same, forgetting that for musicians the live interaction without having to go back and edit/insert/erase/replace is so liberating, just check out some of the videos of Marco Parisi with the Roli Rise.
I have been postponing getting the Roli Rise, but unless there will be an alternative I definitely will get one. I just wish they would come up with a Rise 61.
It will take some time getting used to the action, but that's life, if you want the goodies you have to be prepared to invest time and effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: