Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PLG150 Series = discount Montage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: PLG150 Series = discount Montage? Reply with quote

Just found out about the PLG150 expansion cards for the Yamaha Motif (and other compatible units) which includes a card that emulates the DX7. So you end up with a sampler workstation with an FM engine on-board... sounds a lot like the Montage to me. There are still going to be major differences of course like DAW integration, polyphony, and effects but still... don't imagine the Montage leaves a lot to be desired if you already have that setup.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: PLG150 Series = discount Montage? Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Just found out about the PLG150 expansion cards for the Yamaha Motif (and other compatible units) which includes a card that emulates the DX7. So you end up with a sampler workstation with an FM engine on-board... sounds a lot like the Montage to me.

Or a Kronos.

CharlesFerraro wrote:
don't imagine the Montage leaves a lot to be desired if you already have that setup.

An old Motif with an FM card is still pretty far from a Montage (or a Kronos). Much smaller wave set, no touchscreen, no seamless sound transitions, to name a few things. Which isn't to say that it wasn't a good sounding board.

BTW, you could get the Yamaha FM expansion card in a self-contained unit, the DX200, and add it to any board you'd like.
wpostma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I saw a cheap used motif (as if!) i'd scoop it up. Motifs are a hot commodity and working pros still like to own them.

For full on vintage FM goodness I scooped up a real DX7 II D.

It's two DX7s in one. Fan-tastic.

Warren Canada
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. But yeah the Kronos at the end of the day is the best thing since sliced bread 🍞
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: