Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

returned, don't buy..all fixed..OK now BUY!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hibjshop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: returned, don't buy..all fixed..OK now BUY! Reply with quote

Well after 2 days of fustrations I returned my prologue. This synth should not have shipped, its not ready. Having to update for it to work properly when first buying is total bs. I could understand if it was something deep into the programing, but I can't believe the things that have passed through beta undetected. Again this product was and is, not ready. Which is too bad, its exactly what I'm looking for.
Good luck to all trying to connect it to your computer. Super finicky, as some have already here said. What a headache, and for the money spent, no f*ck*ng way.
On to the next
-Cheers

Last edited by hibjshop on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
number6uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the secret is not to install the Korg midi driver. I am on MAC OS X so just let MAC OS pick it up and a standard midi device and all works fine. I could then do the the firmware upgrades (you have to complete all the stages of the firmware upgrade... it's one upload from the PC/MAC but several stages on the Prologue).
Once the firmware upgrades were done the Prologue has been working very well. I use mine in my home studio, but I know several players that use them for gigging out and about and they have been very happy with it's resilience and reliability.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
BStep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Prologue sounds Monster Reply with quote

We have the Prolgue serial xxx 133 so probably the first production
No problems at all and built like a super tanker.
Great key bed
Awesome fat VCO driven sound
We only use Macs in our studios because the are the most reliable.
Update OS was a 5 minute no brainer.
Love the sound!
Korg Prologue
Deepmind 12
Korg Kronos
Akai MPC Live
Electron Digitone and Digitak
Behringer Model D and Neutron
Dreadbox
Waldorf Steichfett
Maschine Mk3
20 + guitars
10 trumpets
Partridge in a pear tree
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that your early version is working well.

Sad reality is, that Korg has still not offered a fix for a MASSIVE detuning flaw among the batches of Prologues actually sold, concerning only certain notes (E F and F#). It has zero to do with well known analog drift, but instead offers whacky tuning jumps, making the synth completely unuseable for live play and recording.

This heavy flaw has concerned ALL 6 Prologues from the 6, which I so far have bought or tested. I only heard of a few well working devices from others. The issue is known since many months. I'm still trying to figure out, how I could possibly get a flawless unit. A rumor says, that both some early batches, and then newer ones above certain serial numbers might not be affected. I hope to find one of the latter ones, if possible.

Up to now, I have NOT found a single public statement by Korg about the heavy issue, nor a public statement, how and when they will adress it, although they know about it since long. They leave it to local support, to tell frustrated buyers of faulty devices AFTER the buy, in private emails, that they know about the issue and are working on it. This status is constantly perpetuated, since much too long. In the meantime, loads of faulty devices are still kept on offer and sold to unsuspecting customers, as if nothing had happened at all. Isn't that kind of behavior close to fraud?

Meanwhile the faces of the Korg Japan managers should be blushing with deep shame red, for this degree of missing responsibility and absolutely respectless impertinence towards trustful paying customers!

This is the worst NO GO I have experienced with Korg, since many years of buying their gear and being a faithful Korg user! Problems can happen, that's not the point. But whenever they occur, especially heavy ones like this one, it is decisive, how fair and responsible, and how open you deal with them, and most of all with your customers. I really hope Korg Japan gets back on track fast and offers this great sounding synth in a way deserving customer trust in Korg again.
hibjshop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:
I found the secret is not to install the Korg midi driver. I am on MAC OS X so just let MAC OS pick it up and a standard midi device and all works fine. I could then do the the firmware upgrades (you have to complete all the stages of the firmware upgrade... it's one upload from the PC/MAC but several stages on the Prologue).
Once the firmware upgrades were done the Prologue has been working very well. I use mine in my home studio, but I know several players that use them for gigging out and about and they have been very happy with it's resilience and reliability.

Thx for replying and the info. However there shouldnt be any secrets to getting a $1500 synth to operate correctly. And if the driver is not necessary, korg should fix there download instructions. Also how could they miss “load pannel” with the shipping version. For the price this thing should be good to go out of the box. My minilouge work perfectly when bought. Maybe ill check out a newer version, but to me this is a fail.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating a new synth for fixes is pretty common. Happens to software, games, cars, you name it. If it has software it's going to have bugs that need to be addressed. The Prologue hasn't been out for a year yet. When the release model issues are fixed than everything else will be butter smooth.

Doesn't seem like the issue occurring is with every Prologue so it's probably a production issue with certain batches. But this is Korg not Roland. If it's a problem it's a problem they are going to fix.

I would be patient and give them some time to find a solid solution before waving the "this synth sucks don't buy it flag" if you don't have the option of exchanging your keyboard for a properly functioning one.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Updating a new synth for fixes is pretty common

Yes, but it is NOT common to buy a synth which is not useable for live play or recording at all, after you unpack it. We are not talking of minor glitches, but of an unuseable piece of gear at the price of ~ 1600€ for a Prologue 16.

Quote:
Happens to software, games, cars, you name it. If it has software it's going to have bugs that need to be addressed. The Prologue hasn't been out for a year yet. When the release model issues are fixed than everything else will be butter smooth.

Doesn't seem like the issue occurring is with every Prologue so it's probably a production issue with certain batches. But this is Korg not Roland. If it's a problem it's a problem they are going to fix.

This is Korg not Roland?? In this matter they behave like a third class backyard garage company, not like the respected company we all knew, and which they have been so long.

I would be patient and give them some time to find a solid solution before waving the "this synth sucks don't buy it flag" if you don't have the option of exchanging your keyboard for a properly functioning one.

I don't think you can ask for ANY more patience towards a company having been silent about the issue in public for half a year now, while different degrees of this issue have pressed many buyers to either return their units, or risk to be fooled.

And if a company has not been willing and/or able to offer a software fix for a problem, which is concerning hardware units to different degrees, since many months, this doesn't exactly ask for any trust and patience either. It is not even sure, if the issue can be cured by a firmware update, though all Prologue buyers have to hope for it. Korg Japan's denial of any official statement clarifying the situation shows pure impertinence and missing respect towards their paying customers by now.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
blazerunner wrote:
Updating a new synth for fixes is pretty common

Yes, but it is NOT common to buy a synth which is not useable for live play or recording at all, after you unpack it. We are not talking of minor glitches, but of an unuseable piece of gear at the price of ~ 1600€ for a Prologue 16.

Quote:
Happens to software, games, cars, you name it. If it has software it's going to have bugs that need to be addressed. The Prologue hasn't been out for a year yet. When the release model issues are fixed than everything else will be butter smooth.

This is Korg not Roland?? In this matter they behave like a third class backyard garage company, not like the respected company we all knew, and which they have been so long.

I don't think you can ask for ANY more patience towards a company having been silent about the issue in public for half a year now, while different degrees of this issue have pressed many buyers to either return their units, or risk to be fooled.

And if a company has not been willing and/or able to offer a software fix for a problem, which is concerning hardware units to different degrees, since many months, this doesn't exactly ask for any trust and patience either. It is not even sure, if the issue can be cured by a firmware update, though all Prologue buyers have to hope for it. Korg Japan's denial of any official statement clarifying the situation shows pure impertinence and missing respect towards their paying customers by now.

Have you used the warranty that came with it?

Have you tried putting in a repair ticket to get it repaired and inspected under warranty yet?

How are you determining that ALL Prologues have this tuning issue and are unusable out the box?

and how do you know that Korg is not presently doing anything to fix the keyboards that are affected by this problem?

Just curious, of the few complaints I've seen about the tuning I haven't seen anyone mention sending the keyboard in to be repaired with the warranty.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner,

you can read about my long run through checking every possible solution in various Prologue threads in here.

The halfway(!) useable unit I have meanwhile still has the issue, just not as much as previous ones.

Before, I alone have tested 6 units, over a wide margin of serial numbers: all were unuseable with their varying degrees of E/F/F# detuning. I had bought two of them and had to return them both, each after A LOT of burning time with local Korg support (emails and proposals back and forth leading nowhere!), with reseller service staff (varying persons, varying and in part clueless and in part skilled efforts to help validate the rotten issue), and with email and forum exchange with other users concerned.

As for the number of units concerned: so far, among all newsgroups threads I evaluated, among all units I tested and had tested, and among all emails I exchanged with other Prologue owners, I only met one or two, having a Prologue without hearing the issue, while ALL others mentioned had the tuning issue, to more or (rarely) less irritating degrees.

Concerning Korg working on the issue: I never said they don't. Just the contrary, I reported that in very few private emails, local Korg support has answered that Korg Japan is aware of the issue and working on it.

From my view, that's the very least to expect from a company selling broken synths at 1500€. But it is not remotely all which I expect as a paying customer. I expect
a) complete official Korg Japan information about the status of the heavy flaw, which is devaluating the whole synth, on Korg's official newspage. This should have happened latest(!!!) after some weeks, and not stayed unmentioned months after the issues became apparent (in March 2018),
b) a clear declaration from Korg to take back each Prologue they can't offer a working fix for, at full refund within one year or three years (Europe), so that nobody has to rely on 30 days reseller full money back, while not being sure what guarantee means after that.
c) a fast software patch, if that solves the problem (and we are miles behind "fast" in this matter meanwhile). Korg can't seriously expect customers to pay a full price for a synth, while they are waiting for it to work properly for many weeks and months!

Have these answers been clear enough for your questions? Smile
Korgrok

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta say, once Tats left, Korg is not the same in the "analog" department. Pricewise and otherwise. Perhaps Korg's few years as the king of affordable analog was an anomaly. Time will tell.
Oldretro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's clear that Korg has rushed the Prologue to market. Maybe they knew the Moog One was coming and tried to get some of the 'analogue poly' market share. Just speculation of course, but at least it' s very strange they didn' t want to wait, the faults and bugs are too obvious to be overlooked. It does sound excellent, but what is the point when at many times it's unusable.
hibjshop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: returned, don't buy Reply with quote

[quote="hibjshop"]Well after 2 days of fustrations I returned my prologue. This synth should not have shipped, its not ready. Having to update for it to work properly when first buying is total bs. I could understand if it was something deep into the programing, but I can't believe the things that have passed through beta undetected. Again this product was and is, not ready. Which is too bad, its exactly what I'm looking for.
Good luck to all trying to connect it to your computer. Super finicky, as some have already here said. What a headache, and for the money spent, no f*ck*ng way.
On to the next
-Cheers

UPDATE 12/18/2018- well i returned that prologue and upon hearing of the new firmware update got another one. Happy to say all is in good operating condition. I updated the firmware with no connection problems, although this time as i was advised, i did not download the driver. Thrilled to have this machine,as stated its exactly the style of synth i was looking for.👍🏼[/u]

Last edited by hibjshop on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: returned, don't buy Reply with quote

[quote="hibjshop"]
hibjshop wrote:
Well after 2 days of fustrations I returned my prologue. This synth should not have shipped, its not ready. Having to update for it to work properly when first buying is total bs. I could understand if it was something deep into the programing, but I can't believe the things that have passed through beta undetected. Again this product was and is, not ready. Which is too bad, its exactly what I'm looking for.
On to the next
-Cheers

UPDATE 12/18/2018- well i returned that prologue and upon hearing of the new firmware update got another one. Happy to say all is in good operating condition. I updated the firmware with no connection problems, although this time as i was advised, i did not download the driver. Thrilled to have this machine,as stated its exactly the stly o pf synth i was looking for.👍🏼[/u]

Excellent news! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: