Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Roli users

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Question for Roli users Reply with quote

I know that a lot has been writen, about the Roli from Roli users in this forum (who obviously use Korg as well)....My question is very specific. I know the Roli looks like awesome fun. I am confident that it is great with sound design, and gives new sound candy. The big question to those of you who use it is.......How useful as a musical tool is that keyboard after you have had it a while? .......I am thinking of buying one (fighting the urge) and I fear that Roli's glory might be short lived for this not so rich guy. I would love to hear your input about it's musical usefulness to you. Thank you for your response in advance.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Roli users Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
....How useful as a musical tool is that keyboard after you have had it a while? ..........

I had a slightly different question for a Roli user sometime ago. He did answer some of my questions about using it with Orchestral libraries. Not sure if this post would be of any help, but this is what he had to say:

"Preliminarily this is where I am at..

The way the ROLI's work is they record the strike/velocity of a key just like a normal keyboard, though the feel is different naturally, but also have a side to side finger slide which is sent as a pitch bend wheel MIDI message, and then an up down finger slide (up and down the key), which I can't get to work with Kontakt yet and have asked ROLI for help about how it works -- no reply yet. There's also the recording of the upwards release of the key, that I haven't fiddled with yet either in Kontakt and am unsure of how to utilize even when working, and aftertouch, which is basically a continuation of holding the key down more lightly or heavily as you please, I can get that to work in Kontakt and has its uses when tied to volume level in some cases. I think I'll be using that ability a decent amount in future.

Trying to get all of the ROLI to work with Kontakt is teaching me a lot more about Kontakt. I have mainly only used it in the past as an engine to run plugins, and not used it to tinker with sounds much at all.

Some orchestral bits work well with using pitch bend as vibrato, some don't, I think the strings tend to more. It's less of a realistic vibrato however to use the finger pitch bend rapidly back and forth than the built in recorded vibrato of a sample library. So it may be not be the best path with a realistic library or realistic music. I'd like to tie vibrato to the finger slide up and down motion, and that'll be great when I can set it up, but some libraries don't have a blend in vibrato ability, you can only key switch to it, so forget it.

The most fun I have with it is with the CS-80 V which is made for poly aftertouch after all in the first place. I haven't used Equator enough yet to evaluate the ROLI thoroughly either, I've only had it a couple of days, but my impression is Equator could use a lot more sounds than it comes with. If I used Noise I'd probably feel more fulfilled built-in sound wise.

To sum up at this point, after getting the ROLI, I am still picking up how to get it to work with Kontakt fully, and evaluating each of my library's samples to see how much they can be integrated with it. I had one test where I tried to set up multi track poly aftertouch with one of my orchestral libraries and it was too much for my rather high end system to handle and I just got distortion, so there're a lot of factors as to whether you can set up a ROLI to work fully with one library or another."

jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam. I have Kontakt, Extensive Alchemy libraries, Dark Zebra, Omnisphere and various library samples of Eduardo Tarilonte as well and I have done numerous commercials and some film Scoring in libraries years past..... Your making me want to pull the trigger ..(you bad, bad man) Smile Thanks!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
Thanks Sam. I have Kontakt, Extensive Alchemy libraries, Dark Zebra, Omnisphere and various library samples of Eduardo Tarilonte as well and I have done numerous commercials and some film Scoring in libraries years past..... Your making me want to pull the trigger ..(you bad, bad man) Smile Thanks!

The 25 key is just way too small. If I get it, it has to be the biggest one they have, which is the 49 I think. I've played around with it a bit in pro audio stores. It's really hard to play, but I think I can adjust to it with some practice. I don't know if this is the right controller for you though. I don't have any working experience with it myself.

BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the small ones to see what it was like, I also have a linnstrument.

I wish that roli would have made it flat like the Continuum, the ridges are pretty annoying.

The longer throw on the y axis is the only advantage over the linnstrument, in every other way the Linnstrument is superior.. I find the velocity on the roli to be pretty inconsistent, the release velocity as well seems badly implemented.

I would definitely try one before buying if I was you.

Also to get full use out of this sort of controller you really want something that is MPE compatible, you can get them going with multi timbal synths like kontakt and omnisphere but it is a pain in the arse!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
I got one of the small ones to see what it was like, I also have a linnstrument.

I wish that roli would have made it flat like the Continuum, the ridges are pretty annoying.

The longer throw on the y axis is the only advantage over the linnstrument, in every other way the Linnstrument is superior.. I find the velocity on the roli to be pretty inconsistent, the release velocity as well seems badly implemented.

I would definitely try one before buying if I was you.

Also to get full use out of this sort of controller you really want something that is MPE compatible, you can get them going with multi timbal synths like kontakt and omnisphere but it is a pain in the arse!

Linnstrument is hard to find here to try out..

Roli has much more marketing and can be found in many music stores these days..
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 25 and wish they had a larger version of it larger then 49. Yes there is the grand but it isn’t the same. I like the ridges and responsiveness. If I could my Kronos Minilogue and ARP would all have ROLI boards instead of regular keys. I love it. Thing is it will function in a traditional manner as well as 5d if you so desire.
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: