Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

piano presets for Korg R3 like microkorg piano

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giacomo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: piano presets for Korg R3 like microkorg piano Reply with quote

Hi at all,
I've bought the R3 model of korg synth, now, I expected to find a preset for classic piano also but I found nothing like it. On youtube I've seen a video with microkorg model, it's play a beautiful piano.
The question is: can I download this preset on my R3? If the aswer is yes, someone could send me this preset?

here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAbZmoxHao

Thanks in advances

Giacomo
axxim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giacomo,

a real acoustic piano for the R3 will be quite impossible. The MKXL has a Piano sample in its bank and the R3 not. The best approach I could make to an acoustic piano is the Grand-Piano which can be downloaded at my web site (link in the footer) under sounds/keyboard. If you want to hear how it sounds look my first YT video linked there.

The R3 as well as the Radias are aimed to emulate classic analog synths, and the PCM(MKXL) or DWGS(R3dias) sounds are rather additional oscillator sources. Maybe KORG noted that many people wanted a piano sound and included it in the MKXL. I would have preferred a piano sample too but anyway, the resulting sound would be extremely poor compared to a good piano sampler or a real one.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyi18932rUoHqUTEpsykkIg
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piano on the XL is a sample built in a bit like the DWGS waves you have on the R3. The program will change it a bit, but it relies on that sample.

There is an acoustic piano-like patch mentioned here on the forum.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38536

It doesn't sound massively like the real thing though. Reminds me more of the mellotron piano. Anyway, don't worry. You've got the better synthesizer with the R3. They were never really designed to make piano or other acoustic sounds and KORG's inclusion of that sample on the XL is potentially misleading and confusing.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Giacomo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank for the answer,
I cannot download from this link becouse is necessary a pin to access, I've tried the .r3d that Axxim have suggested to me. You are right, the sound is fine but nothing to see a real piano. Even you are right when you say that it is "potentially misleading". Seeing XL to opera seem that even R3 can be play piano. I don't undenstand one thing, doens't XL a synth as R3? So, wy R3 cannot play piano such as XL?

Sorry for the simple question but I'm the beginner.

bye.

Giacomo.

X-Trade wrote:
The piano on the XL is a sample built in a bit like the DWGS waves you have on the R3. The program will change it a bit, but it relies on that sample.

It doesn't sound massively like the real thing though. Reminds me more of the mellotron piano. Anyway, don't worry. You've got the better synthesizer with the R3. They were never really designed to make piano or other acoustic sounds and KORG's inclusion of that sample on the XL is potentially misleading and confusing.
Giacomo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I axxim,
thank for the resources, I've downloaded it and enjoyed.
I think I have to study so much to understand how I can build
a complex signal using R3, it is very complicate.

Thanks.

Giacomo.

axxim wrote:
Hi Giacomo,

a real acoustic piano for the R3 will be quite impossible. The MKXL has a Piano sample in its bank and the R3 not. The best approach I could make to an acoustic piano is the Grand-Piano which can be downloaded at my web site (link in the footer) under sounds/keyboard. If you want to hear how it sounds look my first YT video linked there.

The R3 as well as the Radias are aimed to emulate classic analog synths, and the PCM(MKXL) or DWGS(R3dias) sounds are rather additional oscillator sources. Maybe KORG noted that many people wanted a piano sound and included it in the MKXL. I would have preferred a piano sample too but anyway, the resulting sound would be extremely poor compared to a good piano sampler or a real one.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giacomo wrote:
thank for the answer,
I cannot download from this link becouse is necessary a pin to access, I've tried the .r3d that Axxim have suggested to me. You are right, the sound is fine but nothing to see a real piano. Even you are right when you say that it is "potentially misleading". Seeing XL to opera seem that even R3 can be play piano. I don't undenstand one thing, doens't XL a synth as R3? So, wy R3 cannot play piano such as XL?

Sorry for the simple question but I'm the beginner.

bye.

Giacomo.

X-Trade wrote:

No, the point I was trying to make is that it is potentially misleading for the XL to include a piano, because typically these kinds of synthesizers are in no way capable of creating a real piano sound. The XL is indeed a synthesizer just like the R3 but with a disproportionate lack of features for the cost difference (the R3 is more of a 'smart' buy).

The piano on the XL isn't very good and I think it was mainly included because a lot of beginners use the XL as their only instrument, whilst the R3 is more professional.
Depending on what you are doing, you might want to find a piano MIDI module (alesis nanopiano?) or a piano plugin for your computer.

Generally speaking, piano sounds are the realm of workstations and samplers, and their kin, whilst synthesizers are for creating entirely new and often otherworldly textures.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jareddroid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really disappointing to read. I have a microkorg xL and Love it, even the piano sound. With a little extra release and a touch of delay, it actually sounds better than most workstations to me. The Only thing the xl lacks is full sized keys. My search for a mkxl with full sized keys (MINIkorg?) led me here, but I am saddened to learn that the r3 doesn’t contain the same sound engine, specifically the piano sound. Why would Korg add full sized keys but take away the sound you would want them for?? I might buy a second microkorg XL, because to me it has the perfect set of sounds (once honed with the software editor), and I would pay quite a bit more for full sized keys, but alas the product I want doesn’t exist. That’s my rant.

Oh, one more note- I might not even feel the need for two microkorgXLs if it had 49 keys, preferably full sized. (A MediumKorg? Haha) Who am I kidding, I would still want two. Yes two 37 full sized key xls would be my ideal setup. Ok now I am really done ranting. Please hear me, Korg.
jareddroid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really disappointing to read. I have a microkorg xL and Love it, even the piano sound. With a little extra release and a touch of delay, it actually sounds better than most workstations to me. The Only thing the xl lacks is full sized keys. My search for a mkxl with full sized keys (MINIkorg?) led me here, but I am saddened to learn that the r3 doesn’t contain the same sound engine, specifically the piano sound. Why would Korg add full sized keys but take away the sound you would want them for?? I might buy a second microkorg XL because to me it has the perfect set of sounds (once honed with the software editor), and I would pay quite a bit more for full sized keys, but alas the product I want doesn’t exist. That’s my rant.

Oh, one more note- I might not even feel the need for two microkorgXLs if it had 49 keys, preferably full sized. (A MediumKorg? Haha) Who am I kidding, I would still want two. Yes two 37 full sized key xls would be my ideal setup. Ok now I am really done ranting. Please hear me, Korg.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jareddroid,

As earlier in the thread. The XL, R3 and Radias are intended to be virtual analog synths. The fact that the XL comes with an accoustic piano sample which sounds nice (but far from a real piano or the piano in a workstation) is just a little extra. But not the purpose of this board at all. (A piano with 37 keys and only 8 voices? Really? Smile)

Btw, the R3 was there before the XL (but after the classic mK). So the piano sample was rather added for the XL than taken away from the R3. Their engines are very similar, alas the sample set is not exactly the same. The R3 misses the piano sample. Both are no longer for sale.
There is still the XL+ (having yet another piano sample than the XL) and the classic mK(S) (having no piano sample).
The choice between full size or mini keys was/is a marketing strategy of Korg...

That being said...
You may want to look for a 49 full key MIDI controller and hook it up to the XL and use the latter one more as a module. (Or as extra keybed as well.) It gives you the best of both worlds.

Have fun
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a piano waveform is kind of a bummer, but I'm more annoyed by the fact that the XL got more virtual patch points than the R3. That's not how you position a more expensive product, Korg!

I feel like if you used 2 timbres you could potentially make something that had the sine-y base tone and expressiveness approaching a piano, using the 2nd timbre for the hammer+string thunking, but then you're left with 4 polyphony. R3 doesn't let you target individual stages of the envelope through patching, so it's not gonna get you too far with key dynamics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: