Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microstation vs. Kross 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Microstation vs. Kross 2 Reply with quote

I am considering replacing my Microstation with a Kross 2 as my super-portable board. It's 3.8 kg instead of 2.6, but it's got full-size keys and it runs on batteries, plus I like wheels better than joystick (and the two assignable buttons), and it has an updated sound set and nicer display. But there are trade-offs, like only 2 knobs instead of 4, and it seems like the 16 buttons can't be used to select a timbre in a combi (or track in a song). I was wondering if anyone else looked into this and came up with other significant differences, in particular anything I might lose when going to the Kross.
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Microstation vs. Kross 2 Reply with quote

Korg 2 is a newer machine. That's why it's better. The keys are bigger, so if you have the place you give them, take Kross. Knoby just 2? But there's more switching options, so you'll make it. Sounds cleaner, especially piano. Personally, I would have been, by you, downloaded the manual and looked at what sets it up, it will give you a picture of what Kross can do. I like my microSTATION, it suits me, but Kross's sound is better. I look into the instructions and try to write some insights here. But I do not have a personal experience with Kross.
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Microstation vs. Kross 2 Reply with quote

Layer and Split Button ... That's great, in MS before you set Layer, it does take that. I've solved this with a preset preset in Combi and I just change the tools, but the separate buttons are good. Audio in in. Next + / Audio recorder - Equally export to WAV file / drum track for programs. / TAP button to change tempo. / USB audio interface. Through the line in to the computer, the noise is sounding a noise, but via USB it is absolutely pure transmission with minimal latency. / Microphone In / Clear Display. / Favorites Functions / And the best thing is that everything you've learned with MS, you can use it all - I'm talking about editing. / You do not need a computer for editing / what is more to convince you? Smile

Last edited by arpegiator1 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The thing is, newer isn't always better. Wink I was surprised to find that the Kross' 16 buttons couldn't do the things that the Microstation's buttons can do, so that's why I don't want to assume anything. Yes, I've downloaded the manuals, but with an operating guide that's about 150 pages (and a parameter guide that's 300+ more), well, you can probably see why I wanted to ask about what's people's experiences might have been. Wink
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Microstation vs. Kross 2 Reply with quote

arpegiator1 wrote:

Layer and Split Button ... That's great

Yes, that's a nice Kross2 feature, though the implementation of the Split is kind of backwards. Once you do a Split, you can easily change the timbre/volume/octave of the left sound, but as far as I could see, you can't swap the display to allow you to just as easily change the timbre/volume/octave of the right sound. And in the middle of a song, I'm much more likely to need to change my right hand sound than my left! This is one big advantage of the Roland DS61, where you can easily adjust these parameters for either side of a split on the fly. But the DS is a bit bigger and heavier, and I'm already pushing things going up from the Microstation to the Kross! (Roland also has an advantage in seamless sound transitions, while Kross2 has the sequencer, among other differences.)

I'm also looking at how well these boards work in conjunction with an iPad, and it turns out that this is another significant difference between the Kross and Microstation. Both are good at calling up external sounds (the EX2 function). But in terms of control, the Kross 2 knobs can each send out either of 2 MIDI CCs, for a total of 4 possible parameter controls, two at a time. (They are fixed, but you should be able to redefine them on the receiving end as needed.) The 4 Microstation knobs can each send out either of 2 fixed MIDI CCs plus one user-definable MIDI CC, for a total of 12 possible parameter controls, four at a time, so the Microstation has the advantage here. (And the Roland is weakest of the three at calling up external sounds, but probably strongest at controlling them, with 4 definable knobs which can each have 2 user-definable CCs assigned, plus 4 user-definable sliders for a total of 12 possible parameter controls, either 4 or 8 at a time depending on which mode you're in. The Roland can also send MIDI CC commands from its pads, I don't think the Kross can.)
arpegiator1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Microstation vs. Kross 2 Reply with quote

Buying a new tool usually gets something new and you lose something. We buy the tools in this price range and they will never have everything we imagine. That is why we are looking for a compromise to make the most of it. In our country (I am from Czech), what kind of wheelbase can be bought over the Internet within 14 days can be returned without giving any reason. You have 14 days to explore the plus and minus and return the keys if they do not suit you. Or visit some music shops where the instrument is exposed and explored or asked. Or directly contact the manufacturer or distributor. That's what I'm supposed to do. Good luck.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found another feature loss in going from the Microstation to the Kross 2... you can't use the 16 buttons for patch selection, either to pick sounds in the current bank or as numeric entry. This means two things: More scrolling to access sounds (that are not already registered as favorites), and also, no more ability to change from one favorite Program to another without having the sound cut off. On the Microstation, I could create banks of favorite programs, and use the 16 buttons to switch among them freely without the sound cutting out. On the Kross 2, a different method is used to assign the buttons to Favorites, and now even if you assign only Progams (not Combis), you can no longer switch from one to another without the sound cutting out. Sad It looks like the original Kross worked the same way.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win for Microstation drum roll please trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kching.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
lidserter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, and found the kross 2 quite a nice piece of gear. All the audio stuff make this a very capable synth. What makes me decide on the purchase was the ability to sample and create better instruments, 128mb of optional pcm is somewhat huge for the price. And also i hate pc editors, i prefer to program all in the synth itself, thus the kross allows it.
However you are right about the 16 pads, they could be implemented also to control all the things that you can do on the MS. I use them A LOT to mute parts on combis. Maybe on a future upgrade... for instance i programmed a dummy effect that raises the volume of all the extra parts i needed using the modwheel and ams.
Cheers
JJ
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
What makes me decide on the purchase was the ability to sample and create better instruments, 128mb of optional pcm is somewhat huge for the price.

Unfortunately, the sample function isn't sophisticated enough to actually let you create playable instruments, and so far, they don't seem to offer anything you can do with the extra 128 mb. It would be cool if they let you use that space to hold custom sampled instruments!

Last edited by Scott on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
lidserter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
lidserter wrote:
What makes me decide on the purchase was the ability to sample and create better instruments, 128mb of optional pcm is somewhat huge for the price.

Unfortunately, the sample function isn't sophisticated enough o actually le you create playable instruments, and so far, they don't seem to offer anything you can do with the extra 128 mb. It would be cool if they let you use that space o old custom sampled instruments!

It's true that it's limited as is, using only the few available user drumkits. However i managed to create/import looped samples suitable for sustained sound playback across the keys. That's new, and it seems that nobody realised that! If you enable loop on the pad sampler when creating/importing a sample you end with loop enabled "drumsamples" when exporting as a program.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: