Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wifi computer issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Wifi computer issues Reply with quote

Since this is the Off Topic area, I thought that maybe, just maybe somebody could help me or at least, offer me some advice.

Here's the scenario. I've recently moved with my wife. We've moved from a 3 bedroom apartment to the top half of a bungalow house.
In our old place we had the wireless modem pretty much in the middle of the apartment and had absolute glitch free wifi all of the time. Except for when there was an external problem of course. But in our home, it worked perfectly. The signal was strong everywhere.

Now here in our house, wifi is pathetically weak. The problem is two fold. First, the landlord, a friend of ours is ot the idea that wifi is unnecessary. Whe he used to live here with his wife the didn't use any wifi at all. He ran cables throughout some of the house except to the living room, and the 2 back bedrooms. He had an office set up in the kitchen. Don't ask why. So he had a cable ran to the kitchen.

He has an old modem connected to 2 hubs and a wireless device. A Linksys 3200. This stuff is all in the basement. Getting a wireless signal upstairs is difficult at best. We can get a signal but it's weak. We're wireless people. Our most used computer is our iPad or our iPhones.

What I want to know is, is there such a device as something that I can plug one of the ethernet cables into that transmits wifi?

I went out and bought a Dlink wifi booster but his Linksys box does not have a WSP button on it so I cna't press it and the one on the Dlink so that the 2 devices can connect to each other.

He's not about to upgrade. He's still running Windows XP for crying out loud. He told me to just go out and buy a booster. He can't wrap his head around the fact that the world is mostly wireless. It's very very frustrating.

Anyway, forgive my rant but if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance as always!

Jeremykeys, the sad poor tethered to a cable guy.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a wired Ethernet socket that's available close to a suitable "central" location, and is connected to the internet, then a wireless access point is the way to go. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: