Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It belongs on a Star Ship!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: It belongs on a Star Ship! Reply with quote

Now I really like the look of this synth!

https://youtu.be/3jxWOWUwFWA
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Commander Shepard uses one. When he's not feeding his fish.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got inspired by this one...
I am seriously looking into building this for myself..
Using 3 18" touchscreens with thin bezzels and building a new case around it
So that it looks and feels like one big screen...
And then creating a touchinterface...

If my idea's ever get materialised i will keep everyone informed...
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Star Trek.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nonsense, in the same way as iPad synths are nonsense: no tactile interaction.

Flat screens are a step back from sophisticated control. It's why nobody ever uses iPad synths; and the likes of the Push2, Circuit, BSP, Volca, .... sell like hot cakes.

And from a practical stand point - when that screen goes down, that's it - you're in utter no-mans land.

It will never make it off the drawing board; and if it does, it'll sell a few and within 5-10 years will be useless and likely faulty with no support and no replacement screen.

Flawed physical concept from beginning to end. If they have clever synthesis - make it a VST/AU plugin or an iPad app.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:

Flat screens are a step back from sophisticated control. It's why nobody ever uses iPad synths...

Well, ALMOST nobody. This photo of part of my rig was taken at a sound check a couple of years back. I'm still using the same iPad and soft synth.

The above being said, I agree with your point in a general sense.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
I actually got inspired by this one...
I am seriously looking into building this for myself..
Using 3 18" touchscreens with thin bezzels and building a new case around it
So that it looks and feels like one big screen...
And then creating a touchinterface...

If my idea's ever get materialised i will keep everyone informed...

I was thinking the same thing. I've already got a basic VST system with 23" touch screen, but it's very bulky - I'm currently looking at the Intel NUC range for running the OS to help keep things compact.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should check this one from NAMM last year! seems really well thought-out (tap a touch-sensitive knob to bring up its value in the status bar) and the sound is killer.

He's an independent synth-maker who came up with this at 18, how can you not be impressed?? It looks like something Data from TNG would rock.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehighesttree wrote:
You guys should check this one from NAMM last year! seems really well thought-out (tap a touch-sensitive knob to bring up its value in the status bar) and the sound is killer.

He's an independent synth-maker who came up with this at 18, how can you not be impressed?? It looks like something Data from TNG would rock.
www.gearnews.com/namm-2018-jacob-shear-electronics-spotted-relic-6-still/
gjvti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
It's nonsense, in the same way as iPad synths are nonsense: no tactile interaction.

Flat screens are a step back from sophisticated control. It's why nobody ever uses iPad synths; and the likes of the Push2, Circuit, BSP, Volca, .... sell like hot cakes.

And from a practical stand point - when that screen goes down, that's it - you're in utter no-mans land.

It will never make it off the drawing board; and if it does, it'll sell a few and within 5-10 years will be useless and likely faulty with no support and no replacement screen.

Flawed physical concept from beginning to end. If they have clever synthesis - make it a VST/AU plugin or an iPad app.

It depends - if your approach is to play with knobs and standard oldschool midi keyboard that yes, but with iOS you can use your iOS app (if it has well engineered modulation options), which you can program to respond to your hw tactile midi controllers - MPE, knobby, touchpad - and you can do a lot more that way than with oldschool approach.... but yes, you have to spend some time on programming and assigning connections, which is not an instant result. I think both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti and CowboyNQ:

Good points. I did shoot a bit from the hip on my post, only seeing the negatives.

I think I'm biased for two reasons: 1) I've tried loads of ways to integrate my iPad into my music system in vein (it's never reliable!) and 2) I just wish Animoog was an AU plugin Smile (and that the Gadget AU Plugin was a bit cheaper !!)

But I tell you what I do like on the iPad - Arturia MiniV and Spark - because they are so similar to and compatible with the AU Plugin versions - especially Spark (but even here I don't tend to use them on iPad because connectivity between iPad and my Mac environment never seems to work).

But agreed - of course there are pros to tablet / flat screen technology (and I assure you, my iPad has revolutionised my music learning by simply being able to house scores, music, books, ear test apps and so on.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Good points. I did shoot a bit from the hip on my post, only seeing the negatives.

Although to be fair Kevin, I think the overall point you were making is sound.

Touch screens definitely have their place (I love the one on my Krome), but I wouldn't want to use a keyboard instrument with a control surface that is ENTIRELY touch screen. Would be completely impractical for me in a live performance setting.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of 2 schools of thought on this subject. I like the "look" of it and even though we're still not entirely sure about the durability of the touchscreen, I think that in the very near future, they will be great. On the other hand, I also really like the accessibility of dedicated knobs. One knob for one function just seems to work.
Truth be told, menu diving for me totally sucks even though I have to do it daily on my Kronos and other synths.
Like I said, Of 2 minds here.
I do use my iPad in my home studio but I've never ever taken it out to a gig. Not that I don't trust it or it's durability, it's just too easily stolen.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
it's just too easily stolen.

Yes, that's always a worry. If I'm playing a small venue I lock mine in my rack until show time. On top of that, like all my gear, it's insured.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason why you can't have full tactile control over softsynths...

I'm busy building a couple of these (basics are all done, but I'm having a problem getting the code onto the AVRs - Maybe I should have bought the kits Rolling Eyes)

I'm configuring mine for 90 knobs and 30 switches - perfect for getting knobby with soft synths. Template overlays are easy enough to create so you know what's what Wink

Each pot/switch can be edited to control either CC or NRPNs - DX7 SysEX commands are also pre-programmed, if you need them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: