Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Few questions from a new Kronos owner of 24 hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Few questions from a new Kronos owner of 24 hours Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
NormC wrote:
Do not confuse velocity sensitive sounds with aftertouch. The harder you hit or faster you hit is velocity. Aftertouch is the sound or effect made after you release it.

Actually, that would be "key release velocity". It can be configured so that if you release keys quickly, it does one thing, if you release them slowly, it does another - such as lengthening the envelope release times.

Aftertouch is an effect that is added when you hold down the key, and then press it down slightly while holding it. The typical use is to add vibrato. Of course, it doesn't make sense on a piano, so a lot of patches don't really use aftertouch.

Thanks for the clarification. I have not delved into all the parameters on mine yet. Too much going on.
NormC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:

@Gunnar: I did in fact get the 88 key version. So I just need to apply a ton of force to engage aftertouch? I guess that's reassuring that I'll break my fingers first before damaging the keybed.

K2 88 or K2 88 LS?

LS does not have aftertouch from the keybed.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I don't think having a pedal plugged in (or not plugged in) has any effect on your boot-up error massage.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
FWIW, I don't think having a pedal plugged in (or not plugged in) has any effect on your boot-up error massage.

I didn't think it would, and it may have been coincidence, but that was the pattern I was noticing on day 1. Day 2, I didn't have any boot problems, so fingers crossed.

NormC wrote:
ng_friend wrote:

@Gunnar: I did in fact get the 88 key version. So I just need to apply a ton of force to engage aftertouch? I guess that's reassuring that I'll break my fingers first before damaging the keybed.

K2 88 or K2 88 LS?

LS does not have aftertouch from the keybed.

I got the regular K2 88 with the RH3 keybed.

Lightbringer wrote:
ng_friend wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. Here's my day 2 report.

I'm still having trouble trying to get the feel of aftertouch. Is there a recommended preset for helping get the hang of this? Something where'd I'd get a lot of auditory feedback without having to mess with the parameters.

The data wheel is warming up to me a little bit now. It still binds up on me a bit every now and then, but using a very light touch with it, it seems to work ok for the most part. One thing I did notice is that it seems to lag on screen when scrolling through timbres in COMBI mode. The response is fluid in PROG mode though. Is that just how COMBI mode is?

I find the data wheel can feel a little laggy when scrolling through presets in Combi or SEQ mode. I figure after the first couple weeks of exploration, that’s probably something I won’t normally do anyway as there are better ways to navigate.

Did you try the patch I posted above for AT? I picked that one not because I like the effect it creates, but because you can’t miss it.

Aftertouch is a great controller because you can use it without lifting a finger. LOL. I had a similar experience to you getting used to it (not on the Kronos but on my first AT keyboard).

I find AT is a very personal controller, meaning that to get something useful for me, I generally have to customize both the global AT response curve, and the individual program assignment. To get started, find a patch where you actually like what the AT is assigned to. Find where that assignment is in the synth engine, and play with the intensity, and also the global curve until you get it dialed in to something that feels good.

Once you get a feel for that, you might reassign AT to something other than what the sound designer did in a program, if they assigned it at all, so that it does something useful for you.

Yeah, I guess I may be in the minority that like using the data wheel when scrolling through the program banks. I can send a video of it, if you want to see if it's a normal level of lag.

I somehow must have missed the patch name the first time I read through. I'll give it a try here, hopefully in a few hours when I have some downtime.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to bear in mind when using the data wheel to select Programs or Combis, is that the Kronos will try and load each of those as they're selected, so it's going to take a while to load the samples and all the parameters for effects, routing, and the like. It's not that the Kronos is scrolling though a list and only trying to load the Program or Combi when the scrolling stops.

A quicker way of seeing what's on offer is list view or category view, by tapping the screen on the Program or Combi name, or tapping the category. Using the scroll wheel is still not an option as it will result in each Program or Combi being loaded, but at least the available Progs and Combis can be seen in a two columns-wide screenful at a time.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: data wheel sluggishness

It’s actually a processing issue, not a data wheel issue. It wasn’t originally noticeable in early OS versions. I don’t remember which version that it started. I noticed it in the Sequencer first trying to move through songs with the increment buttons. I was hoping the K2 with a new processor would mitigate it, but it did not. There have been times where I hit the up button for the next song and didn’t think it registered so I hit again. Next thing I knew, I was 2 songs up.
highlandstudio91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Few questions from a new Kronos owner of 24 hours Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:
I just picked up a new Kronos yesterday, coming from a Krome.
My first experience with the new Kronos was actually a bit of a scare. Got it out of the box, on the stand, all the wires hooked up. Hit the power switch for the first time. "System startup has failed"..... Turned it back off and on a few times, same thing. I was really worried that my board was DOA, but I ended up unplugging my damper pedal (a brand new Korg DS1H) and it then booted up normally. Turned it back off and tired booting again with the pedal plugged in, got the same error. It now seems to be booting up normally with the pedal plugged in, but I am a bit worried about the issue cropping back up. I guess I'll keep an eye on it the next few days. Anyone else ever have an issue like this?

Sorry about all the questions, but I guess I'm just a nervous new owner of an expensive instrument.

First of all,as a long time Korg customer,I can really empathize with your situation,as I had very similar issues with my former M3 and 2 different Korg Kromes....so I am very sorry to read about your trouble.
I am really shocked & disgusted at Korg,for issues like this still existing(especially with their flagship keyboards!!) Mad
Due to all of this bulls*t that still going on,I only felt safe buying a Korg Kross 2(which is great for what it is)...but I need something more professional.
However...after reading about your troubles,I am no longer looking to Korg,for a professional instrument.

At this point,I am reconsidering the Roland FA-series....as this keyboard has great sounds,expansion options,super fast boot up time,multiple wav export,has a magnificent keybed,it's simple to use and best of all,it is half the price(and no tech issues,that I've read about.)

I simply cannot afford to make such a huge investment and have it all go south(especially post-warranty.)
Up until my M3,every Korg instrument I had ever purchased prior, was reliable,but now I've lost all faith & respect for Korg,as a company.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Few questions from a new Kronos owner of 24 hours Reply with quote

highlandstudio91 wrote:
[qu
Due to all of this bulls*t that still going on,I only felt safe buying a Korg Kross 2(which is great for what it is)...but I need something more professional.
However...after reading about your troubles,I am no longer looking to Korg,for a professional instrument.

At this point,I am reconsidering the Roland FA-series....as this keyboard has great sounds,expansion options,super fast boot up time,multiple wav export,has a magnificent keybed,it's simple to use and best of all,it is half the price(and no tech issues,that I've read about.)

I simply cannot afford to make such a huge investment and have it all go strument I had ever purchased prior, was reliable,but now I've lost all faith & respect for Korg,as a company.

I am not sure BS is going on. I think details are very important before drawing a conclusion. We are not really side by side with the new owner.
Fortunately, actual factory defectives are few these days from my experience around here.

Its possible the K is not for you. I just don't believe reading about some particular situation or learning curve is enough to show upset.

BTW, the FA ( not the 61 keybed) is a very nice W/s, IMO. I have the FA-07
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of the Kronos! I am also a newbie coming over from a Kurzweil. The Kurzweil was great, sounds, and the way it was built but overall I really do love the Kronos, there’s not much it can’t do. I would look into the startup error you received, I can’t honestly say I’ve had one yet but I will agree with you on saying the wheel does not feel anything like the one I had on my Kurzweil, I think it’s just the way it is on the Kronos but I haven’t had any issues with it yet. Enjoy !
ng_friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry for long wait on an update. I got busy for a full week and unfortunately didn't have much time to mess around with my new board. My first boot up today ended in system startup failed again, although it worked on my second attempt after unplugging and reconnecting the power cable. Since it doesn't seem to be reliably booting up 100% of the time still, I'm thinking maybe I should push for an exchange. For the peace of mind more than anything. I'll likely be calling up my retailer tomorrow.

Lightbringer wrote:
Did you try the patch I posted above for AT? I picked that one not because I like the effect it creates, but because you can’t miss it.

I tried out this patch today finally, and it does really provide nice feedback on the aftertouch. It really helped me get a good feel for how much force I need to apply to the keys. Thanks for sharing that tip.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad it worked for you.

If you bought the board new and have the option, I think I'd push for an exchange based on the boot issues before your window of opportunity expires. That shouldn't be happening.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Cool, glad it worked for you.

If you bought the board new and have the option, I think I'd push for an exchange based on the boot issues before your window of opportunity expires. That shouldn't be happening.

It's very strange. I tried booting a few more times since and it's been working fine. It just seems to randomly fail to boot sometimes. Doesn't seem to be linked to my damper pedal anymore either. I guess that just could have been a coincidence.
leonh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get another one simple as that I had mine from new and I never had any problems I have usb stick nanopad and pedal connected at all times and it is fine .
And UPS from day one.
ng_friend

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Get another one simple as that I had mine from new and I never had any problems I have usb stick nanopad and pedal connected at all times and it is fine .
And UPS from day one.

Didn't have any USB devices plugged into mine. Just main outs, damper, and footswitch. I've never really had power issues from the wall, as far as I can tell, but I'll probably pick up a new UPS once I get my exchange done, to play it safe.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't cotton on to your post earlier. I've sort of duplicated the start up failure part.
My problem mirrors this.

You need to exchange it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: