Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Activate banks C and D without installing the PBS-TRI board.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Activate banks C and D without installing the PBS-TRI board. Reply with quote

Good day everyone!
First of all, I want to thank everyone on this forum, who was my inspiration and basic idea. I would like to contribute now and close one chapter. As I draw from more threads, I have created this in order not to offend anyone. with so much introduction.
And now with instructions.
To activate Bank C and D in your TRINITY, you need:
1./ two NEC D431000ACZ-70L ICs,
2./ genuine PBC-TRI sound FDD disc (not necessary),
3./ cross screwdriver,
4./ little bit of time.
!!!First complete a backup your Trinity!!!
Remove the rear wall.
After removing the rear wall, you will see a centerboard with two slots in the middle. ( IC31 and IC32 PBS-TRI SRAM )
Here you put two ICs. Check the correct orientation!!!
At the some board is the PBS-TRI 68pin connector, it is necessary to connect the pins 67 and 68. ( I have chosen the route of the flyover to back side. )
Now screw all back together.
Press "enter" and "0" and turn on the power. SRAM initialization appears on the display. Release the buttons.
Now load the original sounds from the FDD. Positions C0-C7 do not play. Missing samples here - missing sample board. Other positions are fully functional.
And it is all! SurprisedD
I am sorry for my bad English. I hope the result will be a pleasure for you, as for me !!
Let our honest TRINITY live.
P.S. If need be, I can send you my pictures and sound bank.
jarris666@gmail.com
tiretrak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Activate banks C and D without installing the PBS-TRI bo Reply with quote

jarris wrote:
Good day everyone!
jarris666@gmail.com

hi
can you upload pictures here?
jarris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Activate banks C and D without installing the PBS-TRI bo Reply with quote

tiretrak wrote:
jarris wrote:
Good day everyone!
jarris666@gmail.com

hi
can you upload pictures here?

image you can download here:
http://leteckaposta.cz/743166738
tiretrak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Activate banks C and D without installing the PBS-TRI bo Reply with quote

jarris wrote:

image you can download here:
http://leteckaposta.cz/743166738

no fotos((
k-Tracker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please post a PBS slot layout and location of pins 67 and 68 there?
MattM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Has anyone else tried this? Reply with quote

Hi,

As the heading says, has anyone else tried this memory upgrade?

If so could you report on the results please.

The parts seem readily available on fleabay and it seems straight forward. (Famous last words)
MattM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have just replaced the soldered in back up battery with a button cell holder. Easy job, there are even holes ready to go, just the right distance apart.

Opening the thing up made me consider the idea of extra memory without the PBS-Tri board again. Mucking around looking at different banks of programs I had to choose between because of space limitations is the motivation.

The SRAM is readily available very cheaply.
Openning the Trinity to access the SRAM slots is straight forward.
Accessing the slot where the 2 pins need to be shorted is the same.

Is there a blank plug that could be have pins 67 and 68 shorted then just be plugged into the PBS-Tri socket available?

Seems this could be developed into a cheap kit of 2 sticks of SRAM and a plug with pin 67 and 68 shorted?

I have had no response from jarris so far. So, again, has anyone tried this? I have read reports of C and D banks continuing to function after the PBS-Tri was either removed or became disconnected, so it seems likely it could.

Does anyone have enough knowledge of the PBS -Tri socket to know if shorting pin 67 and 68 could cause damage?

Any thoughts on this welcome. I have some SRAM on the way.

Cheers,
Matthew
Drummond

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this? Has anybody else done it?
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
MattM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
Any updates on this? Has anybody else done it?

I have purchased the correct ram; however i have not proceed. A mix of lazy and concern shorting those 2 pin could cause damage has stopped me.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70177&sid=0740d90e85214a21fe51c41fc119a58b

It seems clear just insertining the ram will not work.

From the other conversation linked in it

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=35647&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It seems the ram will keep functioning if a pbs tri board previously installed is removed. Confirmed this from one other source, i can no longer find. Makes me wonder if the pbs tri board does just short those 2 pins. Inspecting one might confirm this. Maybe there is some one with one they have not installed?

The OP jarris, has not responded to email and the pics he mentions are not accessible, so while i have the technical skill to complete the work, I do not have the knowledge needed to be confident this would not cause damage.

Confirmation from someone with appropriate technical knowledge would be very welcome.
heshamex4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: YES IT WILL WORK Reply with quote

for every one wondering about adding bank C and D without PBS-tri
I just did it and works fine
I will add a YouTube link and you will see it
just editing my video once it's ready i will let you know

the video will be in Arabic but I will add English sub at some point
heshamex4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: bank C and D without PBS-tri Reply with quote

there you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRSG_B-Dbqc&ab_channel=framerizla
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: bank C and D without PBS-tri Reply with quote

heshamex4 wrote:
there you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRSG_B-Dbqc&ab_channel=framerizla

Very nice!

Now I need to to find a technician who does it for my Trinity Plus Smile
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
heshamex4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD LUCK VESA
Drummond

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: It works! Reply with quote

I have done the mod and it works. Now I have 512 programs, 512 combis (banks A, B, C, D) and 128 slots in solo-tri. I purchased the memory chips from aliexpress and used a leg I cut from a resistor to connect the necessary pins in trinity's main board (mine is a trinity pro). After that I restarted pressing enter + 0 to reset the board and that was it. Working fine.

I followed the instructions in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRSG_B-Dbqc&t=440s
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Vesa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered 4 brand new memory chips from ebay, $1.63 each, also a beginners soldering iron set. Hooray if I succeed getting 256 + 64 + 256 extra Programs and Combinations Smile

Meanwhile I might program a Trinity PCG/Combination utility; Move Programs where ever you like and Combis will still use their intended timbres. It's a must for me now since I have purchased two PCG sets that have a zillion Initial Programs and Combinations, only the sound designer's Programs/Combis are in those sets.
Roland JV-1010 / Triton-Rack 96MB / Trinity Plus PBS-TRI / Yamaha MOTIF6 64MB / Roland Fantom-XR 512MB / Yamaha MOXF6 1GB / Roland XV-3080 / Roland FANTOM-06 / Yamaha MODX6+ / E-mu Proteus 2000 / Roland XV-5080 128MB / Kross 1 / Kross 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: