Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New engines for a Kronos follow up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
chris wrote:
MOSS was specific to the Triton series.

The analog modeling part of it has been replaced by AL-1 in the Kronos.
No chance that there would be a MOSS upgrade in the Kronos.

I think that if upgrades would be these would rather come from Korg Legacy instruments that are not yet included in the Kronos. For example the Mono/Poly but I'm not sure this will ever happen.

yes, the MOSS was replaced. It is completely off the table- I believe one of the developers passed away . there is a legal block.

Ah, so this puts an end to my hopes for a brass physical modelling engine in any future Kronos update. Yamaha's VL1m made it into the EX5(r), and I found that brass much more expressive than even expanded articulation or Roland's supernatural tech.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
GregC wrote:
chris wrote:

I think that if upgrades would be these would rather come from Korg Legacy instruments that are not yet included in the Kronos. For example the Mono/Poly but I'm not sure this will ever happen.

yes, the MOSS was replaced. It is completely off the table- I believe one of the developers passed away . there is a legal block.

Ah, so this puts an end to my hopes for a brass physical modelling engine in any future Kronos update. Yamaha's VL1m made it into the EX5(r), and I found that brass much more expressive than even expanded articulation or Roland's supernatural tech.

Yes, you will need to go back in time. The MOSS had limited voices as we know.

the Z1 might be an option
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Yamaha's VL1m made it into the EX5(r), and I found that brass much more expressive than even expanded articulation or Roland's supernatural tech.

The Yamaha VL *is* expressive, but it also models the behaviour of the instrument very accurately.

Example (played with a Wind controller) : ► EX5R VL trumpet (click here)
street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
psionic311 wrote:
Yamaha's VL1m made it into the EX5(r), and I found that brass much more expressive than even expanded articulation or Roland's supernatural tech.

The Yamaha VL *is* expressive, but it also models the behaviour of the instrument very accurately.

I have one PLG slot left on my Motif ES.
I have the DX and AN boards installed and I'm seriously considering adding a VL one.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chris"]MOSS was specific to the Triton series.

[/quote]

MOSS was also available on the Z1 and M3, not just the Triton.

street

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
chris wrote:

MOSS was also available on the Z1 and M3, not just the Triton.

The Z1 came before the MOSS.

Here's a thing - first came the Korg Prophecy (monophonic), afterwards the Z1 which is essentially a 6 voice polyphonic Prophecy which was expended via an expansion card (which was shipped with the Z1) with additional 6 voices to a total of 12 voice polyphony.
It was optional to install an ADDITIONAL 2nd expansion card for a total of 18 voice polyphony.

Then came the MOSS board for the Triton / Trinity which is essentially the Z1 board without the extra 1 or 2 expansions.

The M3, by the way, never supported MOSS. You're probably talking about Radias?
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I don't understand how you can make an ' engine ' ( or a Kronos engine) from the ARP 2600.

I don't recall discussion about this.

I don't remember anyone else talking about it. But there has been discussion about Korg rereleasing the 2600, and since I've already got a Kronos I'd love to see it in the box rather than as a separate piece of equipment. It's a wish list item for me.

An engine is just software, usually with it's own user interface.

You can do amazing things in software. Heck, you can get an emulation of a Moog modular synthesizer for your PC for about a hundred bucks.

A 2600 is a semimodular (thus keeping is simpler) synthesizer from Arp. Since Korg is now releasing other Arp synthesizers (both physically and as software), they must have the rights to them. A 2600 should be relatively simple, as compared to a 2500. More powerful than an Odyssey, but not completely open ended. I'd give them money for it.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

street wrote:
I'm not sure more "engines" is the important thing, but integration is. I think that a Kronos successor should rethink the entire patch / combi modes and be combi based (like the Montage, for example).

Also ease of use, friendly-ness of the OS, this can all be improved greatly imho.

I don't see any strong business case for Korg to come up with a successor to the Kronos at this time. I don't think the market is there, and I know the competition isn't.

On the other hand, I could see people paying money for different engines. And if the current operating system doesn't allow additional engines, then the operating system can be updated to allow for additional engines, and the new engines SOLD (producing cash flow to Korg) like they currently sell sample libraries.

Remember that they ran into a limitation on the number of libraries that could exist, so they updated the operating system to allow for additional libraries. Same theory about the number of engines.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
street wrote:
I'm not sure more "engines" is the important thing, but integration is. I think that a Kronos successor should rethink the entire patch / combi modes and be combi based (like the Montage, for example).

Also ease of use, friendly-ness of the OS, this can all be improved greatly imho.

I don't see any strong business case for Korg to come up with a successor to the Kronos at this time. I don't think the market is there, and I know the competition isn't.

On the other hand, I could see people paying money for different engines. And if the current operating system doesn't allow additional engines, then the operating system can be updated to allow for additional engines, and the new engines SOLD (producing cash flow to Korg) like they currently sell sample libraries.

Remember that they ran into a limitation on the number of libraries that could exist, so they updated the operating system to allow for additional libraries. Same theory about the number of engines.

/

Last edited by GregC on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

street wrote:
EXer wrote:
psionic311 wrote:

I have the DX and AN boards installed and I'm seriously considering adding a VL one.

That clip brings back memories. Guess it's past time I bring my EX5r in for repairs. Good luck on the VL PLG board, I think you'll like it.
Wagnergrad96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as knowledgeable about synths as most of you guys (I'm a guitar guy) but it seems to me that if we want to keep adding more stuff to our Kronos, they would have to update the OS to recognize more RAM. Am I wrong?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New engines for a Kronos follow up? Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
fcoulter wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Seems that Korg has quite some new engines that they can add to a new workstation in the future

- 2 new organ engines (as seen in the grand stage on Namm)
- a wavestation engine (windows / ipad)
- the arp odyssey engine (ipad)
- electribe ( for ipad)
- M1 engine (Windows / ipad
- mono/poly (windows)

And then there is a few gadget engines, that definately would be appreciated in a new workstation...

And what about :
- a MOSS based engine
- some of those brutal filters from the king korg
- the italian grand, as seen on the grand stage..

It seems like Korg recently started to poop out new synth engines, with all the ipad stuff... seems to me that the future is looking bright...

But then, is it more engines that make a workstation better, do you think that adding more engines makes a workstation a better instrument?

I'd pay money (<$100) for an Odyssey engine in my Kronos. But I'd pay more money for a 2600 engine in my Kronos.

This is technically not possible according to Dan at Korg... with the current software structure of the Kronos... so its unlikely we will ever see new engines for the current Kronos...

Hi Bachus! To clarify, what is it that's technically not possible?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

there is a recent post around here that quoted Dan at K0rg- that the Kronos is maxed out or software limited- no further engines can be added

I am absolutely *not* promising any new engines, but from a technical standpoint that sounds like a misunderstanding. What post are you referring to here?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
GregC wrote:

there is a recent post around here that quoted Dan at K0rg- that the Kronos is maxed out or software limited- no further engines can be added

I am absolutely *not* promising any new engines, but from a technical standpoint that sounds like a misunderstanding. What post are you referring to here?

Hi Dan. I was quoting bacchus who said he had some info from you. See directly above.

Sorry about the confusion
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

street wrote:
EXer wrote:
psionic311 wrote:

I have PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL in my Motif Rack ES (and then AN and VL in my EX5 and more AN in my AN1x Smile ). I also have a WX5 controller ready for the time when I finally get to play seriously with it as a controller for VL (not any time soon!) This was when Yamaha was cutting edge......

On the subject of new models for the Kronos, I would happily pay for an upgrade that added ones of interest to me. Korg, like any business, need to get a return on investment for what they do. This I think is the reason why we don't see new ones, as opposed to technical constraints in the Kronos Architecture.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: