Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2017 Surprise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Back on topic - you know what - it's REALLY quiet on the NAMM rumour s front! Anyone else notice that. Usually there's _something_. This year - nothing! Perhaps winter NAMM is starting to go the way of summer NAMM in terms of relevance for new announcements ???

It depends on what you want. Dave Smith teased us last year about a product with a portamento knob that had everyone scratching their heads. The OB-6 showed up out of the blue. No one saw that coming and it was possibly synth winner of NAMM the way the Prophet~6 won the previous year. If slab synths aren't your thing at all, then yeah, move along. But I lust pretty hard for an OB-6, and still for a Voyager, depending on what Dave has up his sleeve.

Roland's potential new workstation? Big on my radar.

What Kurzweil, Moog and Yammy might reveal? Right under that. And then there are mics, studio monitors, rack units, consoles, plugins... etc. I want a studio this year, so literally everything interests me. Viva 2017. Wink
John01W
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
Back on topic - you know what - it's REALLY quiet on the NAMM rumour s front! Anyone else notice that. Usually there's _something_. This year - nothing! Perhaps winter NAMM is starting to go the way of summer NAMM in terms of relevance for new announcements ???

It depends on what you want. Dave Smith teased us last year about a product with a portamento knob that had everyone scratching their heads. The OB-6 showed up out of the blue. No one saw that coming and it was possibly synth winner of NAMM the way the Prophet~6 won the previous year. If slab synths aren't your thing at all, then yeah, move along. But I lust pretty hard for an OB-6, and still for a Voyager, depending on what Dave has up his sleeve.

What Kurzweil, Moog and Yammy might reveal? Right under that. And then there are mics, studio monitors, rack units, consoles, plugins... etc. I want a studio this year, so literally everything interests me. Viva 2017. Wink

Dude, I'm so with you on the OB-6! The OB-6 is my dream synth right now...it's just SOOOOO beautiful sounding! I seriously lust after that synth...80's in a box with modern edge! That filter!!!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Kurzweil, a new OS feature for the Forte at best
Yamaha something new for the Montage

I dont expect much from them , same goes for Nord amd Moog..
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afr wrote:
looks like a new RD piano

It is, and more than that, the new versatile RD-2000.
Looks great, and it has the PHA-50 action.
brooster1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Roland RD-2000 Reply with quote

Roland RD-2000 Standard Features

Next-generation RD stage piano with two independent sound engines and modern controller features
Dedicated acoustic piano sound engine with the latest Roland advancements provides authentic, richly detail tone with full polyphony
Second SuperNATURAL-based sound engine with 128-voice polyphony for electric pianos and additional sounds (compatible with RD-800 Live Sets)
Eight knobs with LED status indicators and nine sliders for real-time control of sounds and effects
Eight fully assignable zones for combining internal sounds and external sources (including software instruments)
PHA-50 keyboard features hybrid wood and molded construction for premium touch and lasting durability
Classic electric pianos on board, including Roland’s legendary RD-1000 and MKS-20
Recreations of vintage analog effects, including the BOSS CE-1 Chorus, Roland Dimension D, and more
Over 1100 non-piano sounds, including organs, strings, brass, synths, and many others
Two wave expansion slots for loading additional sounds from Roland’s Axial website, including sounds from previous RD-series pianos
100 Scene memories for saving and recalling setups with one touch
Traditional Roland pitch/mod lever and two assignable wheel controllers
24-bit/192 kHz USB audio/MIDI interface

Tech Specs
KEYBOARD SECTIONKeyboardPHA-50 Keyboard: Wood and Plastic Hybrid Structure, with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel (88 keys)SOUND GENERATOR SECTIONSound Generator2x Independent Sound Engines
Sound Engine1: V-Piano Technology
Sound Engine2: SuperNATURAL
SuperNATURAL Piano
SuperNATURAL (E.Piano, Clav)
Virtual Tone Wheel Organ
PCM Sound GeneratorMax. PolyphonyV-Piano Technology Sound Engine: Full Polyphony
SuperNATURAL Sound Engine: 128 voicesParts16 parts (Max 8 parts are used in the PROGRAM)Tones1,100 tones OverProgram300Scene100EffectsModulation FX: 4 systems, 62 types
Tremolo/Amp Simulator: 4 systems, 6 types
Reverb: 6 types
Delay: 5 types
Sympathetic Resonance (Only for SuperNATURAL Piano)
3-band Compressor
5-band Digital EqualizerAUDIO FILE PLAYERFile FormatAudio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)RECORDER SECTIONFile FormatAudio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)External Storage DeviceUSB flash drive (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed flash memory)OTHERRhythm Pattern200 patternsControllersSlider x 9 (with illumination)
Knobs x 8 (with illumination)
Pitch Bend/Modulation lever
Modulation Wheel x 2DisplayGraphic LCD 256 x 80 dotsConnectorsMAIN OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
MAIN OUT (L, R) jacks: XLR type
SUB OUT (L, R) jacks:1/4-inch phone type
NPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type
Pedal (DAMPER, FC1, FC2, EXT) jacks: TRS phone type
MIDI (IN, OUT1, THRU/OUT2) connectors
USB (COMPUTER) port: USB type B
USB (MEMORY) port: USB type A
PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type
AC In jackNumber of USB Audio Record/Playback ChannelsSignal Processing: 24-bit
Sampling Rate: 192 kHz, 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz
Record: 2 channels
Playback: 2 channelsPower Consumption23 WAccessoriesOwner’s manual
Power cord
Damper pedal (capable of continuous detection)OptionsKeyboard stand: KS-G8B
Piano pedal: RPU-3
Damper pedal: DP-10
Pedal switch: DP-2
Expression pedal: EV-5
USB Flash MemorySIZE AND WEIGHTWidth1,412 mm
55-5/8 inchesDepth367 mm
14-1/2 inchesHeight140 mm
5-9/16 inchesWeight21.7 kg
47 lbs 14 oz
* Actual weight can vary slightly from that indicated due to the fact that wooden parts are involved.[/img]
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
afr wrote:
looks like a new RD piano

It is, and more than that, the new versatile RD-2000.
Looks great, and it has the PHA-50 action.

I owned 3 different RD stage pianos over 12 yr. My last Rd was the Rd700GX1.

They all had a great feeling piano keyboard. The organs were mostly useless but that was the only flaw I can think of

I see Roland has jumped on the sound engine bandwagon, in that they have 2 on this model.

With the Kronos arriving in 2011, I had little need for the Rd700GX1 and sold it.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This proves that Roland can do a work station with multi based technologies in it.

Why not provide a Work Station with:

V Piano
V Synth
SN - Integra HD
JP8/80
Cosm Effects
plus...

why release some watered down keyboard with 2 engines in it....it's like an inferior Montage lol

Why couldn't this have been the next stage Work Station with all their technologies in it...you've got the code there already, it's not as though you have to design that again...you just need to get it to gel and interact between each engine under one hood...sheesh, man...come on...

So far...Kevin 1 point re no more work stations lol

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
xp50player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may be a watered down Montage, but quite a bit cheaper than a Montage 8 too. I calculate $2599US based on GBP price already advertised.

This smokes the Montage and Korg anything on pianos. My RD-800 already has per-key voicing/tuning/volume, mechanical noises, sympathetic resonance, mono/stereo sweep. Hopefully the new v-piano engine will add the variable string windings, materials, dimensions, unison tuning per key etc. Killer action too. And the Montage uses 4 parts for the piano?!

I consider the tonewheel model to be its own engine, esp if they have added v/c, though no hopes of beating the CX3 engine. I also consider the supernatural EPs to be their own engine, as they are resynthesis/element based, much preferred by me over the Kronos EP-1.

In theory, I would like to have one board that does everything, but one type of keybed is not enough for a natural feel on all types of sounds.

Last edited by xp50player on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
Roland also is teasing with 'something' that has 88 keys as evidenced by these pictures posted by an alert viewer of Roland's 360 test stream on GS:

It's the RD-2000. It has 2 synth engines and 9 drawbar sliders. Roland already has a video up of a guy playing it.

With this link one can select "gallery" with one close up picture of the nine sliders with drawbar footages.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/rd-2000/
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a beast, seems to be build for mainstage controlling...

If it can send both midi over physical as wel over USB at the same time, it will be perfect for replacing the PC3x in conjunction with the PA4x and mainstage...
wma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen also rd-170, rd-1000

very interesting keyboards, hope tomorrow korg and others let us happy too

sorry, rd-1000 is vintage not new, and rd-170 is not a new one, only the
rd-2000
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Its a beast, seems to be build for mainstage controlling...

If it can send both midi over physical as wel over USB at the same time, it will be perfect for replacing the PC3x in conjunction with the PA4x and mainstage...

That really depends... I noticed that - in the introduction video - when the demonstrator was playing some Mainstage sounds, camera was suspiciously going "everywhere but on the screen" of RD2000. Because if it's Mainstage control they're positioning this product to play nicely with, it needs to be - really integrated Smile there's no manual on Roland web so far so - no information whatsoever about how all of this works.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: The thing with when everybody does. Reply with quote

Doing something that fits together and comes over as unique is an craft that takes some time and the success that it depends of comes from watching how the industry evolves and that takes some long decisive insight.

Doing everything on one keyboard is a great feature but it isn't a thing for any company when they don't need to there a specific market watch and product following, Some could ask for it for their kind of brand but hey one , two or 12 sound engines is not the point if it was that easy everybody would be doing it long ago and reaped what is left in the shadow of the Kronos.

My two cents is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

I love the hybrid thing going on I also love how quickly these company anticipate the need of several kind of keyboard players, those whom have their keyboard with addition from library's on their computer.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Roland mentions two engines I want to point out that the RD-2000 has other sound generation methods which could be classified as different engines as well, such as the tone wheel organ model, the electric piano model, and in addition to that the unit also has sounds based on good old PCM.
So it definitely is not a 'watered-down' Montage, but a versatile stage piano/master keyboard/performance instrument featuring the PHA-50 action with escapement.

Roland CAN do a workstation with multiple engines in it, and I suspect it is merely a matter of time before they will release a high end model.
I have a hunch that the RD-2000 is the prelude to Roland's return to the high end.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:

Roland CAN do a workstation with multiple engines in it, and I suspect it is merely a matter of time before they will release a high end model.
I have a hunch that the RD-2000 is the prelude to Roland's return to the high end.

The challenge is that the RD-2000 ( and the entire RD history) has chopped at sales at a Roland workstation.

As a long time RD owner, I evaluated a Roland W/s first, then decided on the RD.

As posted a few times, if a co like Roland ( or Korg etc) sees potential but has not launched a new product/platform its because there is some type of 'block ' in the way. These mfgr's do not wing it on expensive new product development.

They have to be able to 'tick all the boxes ' before going past prototype or concept.

In Rolands case and w/s, it could also be a financial constraint. They have done serious reorganizing over the years and gotten necessary investment capital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: