Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

this darn korg pa4x
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: this darn korg pa4x Reply with quote

Hi

I find here on the Forums a lack of SONG STYLES for the PA4X as I am still using the PSR s970 and find Yamaha Forums generous at sharing their song styles...where here on korg forum there is no dedicated thread with some great song styles.
I think I made an expensive MISTAKE purchasing my Korg PA4x a few weeks ago...thinking that the Professional and Amatuer Members would share Good Quality song styles.
Also I find the OS on korg very difficult to understand.
I too could get rid of my PA4X this year 2017.....and take a loss.

By The way HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 to everyone reading this thread.

regards
Ronnie........ Beer Cool Shame on you
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron
Many of our great members here have shared lots of their work - but, I agree, there is no repository.
Korg have given us many free styles sets too.
But this all depends on what YOU want and how you intend to use your arranger keyboard.

I wouldn't go near a PSR or Tyros again for performing or "live recording" for many real reasons (which I am happy to list if you are interested) as they are not designed for it.
Also the PA4X is a deep arranger - and in many ways, a workstation too - I wouldn't expect any new owner to master it in just a few weeks - I don't think you've given it a fair go.
The OS on the PA4x is very logical and unfortunately (like any piece of technical professional gear) it takes patience and time to learn it including getting used to the "proprietary" terminology.

I am not arguing with you here as the Yamahas may well better suit your purpose.

Make your decisions very carefully - would be a very expensive mistake to sell your pa4x without getting to know it first.

Always here to help if you have any questions.
BTW, have you requested your song-specific styles requirements here in these forums?

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
keyboard
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Pete !
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To chime in here hold your horses !

As Pete says the Pa4x is deep, having worked with so many keyboards over the years as well as been involved in retail the Pa4x is a dark horse. It took me NINE months to get my head around the workings of this instrument, at first glance it appears that not much can be done but nothing could be further from the truth. The Manual is deep and I am afraid does require extensive reading which is why I had the manual printed in hard copy which in itself has facilitated me making leaps and bounds with it.

I never expected there to be any ready made solutions to master it although other forum members just like Pete have helped me along the way as have a few others here. I consider myself Tech Savvy with all this stuff but you will need to put the hours in to start to see the possibilities on offer with the Pa4x.
I would never think on getting rid of it with so little time spent at the controls.

Yeah sure having a section where everyone shares styles and sounds would be handy for all of us but that would need organising by Admin and some of the members here and for certain Korg should start a PA Arranger site for us all which would be of benefit to them and us in the long run.

The Pa4x offers so much that a lot of the time I am still finding things out that surprise me and no PSR or Tyros would offer me this depth, I appreciate that for some folks they want a ready meal made but for me that would be somewhat boring. Lets take the Tyros, everyone sounds the same on it and it sounds plastic and overproduced whereas the the Pa4x has a live organic sound very much at home in the live environment.

Why not spend some time with the manual and put some hours in, my tip was to read the Quick Start Manual, watch all the Korg Tutorial Videos ( LOTS ) and then approach the Pa4x on the basis of I want to do this, then set about finding out that task is accomplished, I learnt most of what I know by taking this approach and Necessity is the Mother of all Invention ! Wink
Yamaha S90ES, Korg Triton Pro, EXB Moss, Roland XV5080, Korg EX8000, Korg Pa4x 76, Korg Kronos 88, Crumar MOJO, Logic Pro X, V Collection, Novation SL61,Vienna, Korg Pa4x , EC-5, Vienna, Arturia V Collection, Roland SC88 Pro, Roland D110, Alesis SR16, Alesis D4
eli125

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU CAN ALLWAYS TAKE YAMAHA STYLES AND CONVERT THEM TO KORG BY SOME GOOD PROGRAMS OUT THERE STYLE WORKS XT ETC. I THINK THERE IS SOME FREE OUT THERE NOT SURE SO YOU CAN JOIN BOTH KORG WITH YAMAHA STYLES
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eli125 wrote:
YOU CAN ALLWAYS TAKE YAMAHA STYLES AND CONVERT THEM TO KORG BY SOME GOOD PROGRAMS OUT THERE STYLE WORKS XT ETC. I THINK THERE IS SOME FREE OUT THERE NOT SURE SO YOU CAN JOIN BOTH KORG WITH YAMAHA STYLES

Yes, but after conversion there is still a lot of work to be done to really make them sound perfect... (this goes for all keyboard brands)

But since the OP iss talking about song styles specifically.... I tought the PA4x was the perfect tool for creating your own Song styles directly from a midi file?

As both a Yamaha and a Korg owner, i can see a huge difference between the aproach of these instruments.... On a Korg, you can tweak and edit everything onboard... They have quite some indeep tools onboard.. While still deliviring an easy access operating surface on top....

Yamaha however on their arranger range, is allways trying to simplify things so the Sit and Play crowd is serviced as good as they can. However, compared to a Korg, it misses some of the controll and deep features on board (this can be overcome by a huge amount of PC based tools for edditing and creating things)

This makes the average Yamaha user a whole different person as the Korg user... Which also refelects on what people share and what people charge money for on these forums.

In general, i do see it much like the mobile phone market, Yamaha arrangers are more like apple (allowing for a slightly better intuitive interface), where Korg arrangers are more like android (allowing the user much more freedom )

Both are viable approaches aimed at different people..

But if having a whole database with out of the box working free styles (10.000s of them) is high on your priority list, you should seriously consider Yamaha
guitpic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About six months ago, I went from a Tyros to the PA 4X. I also still have the S970. The Tyros is sold.

For holiday gigs, I went back to my S970, for song specific styles. About halfway through the holiday gigs, I went back to my 4X when I discovered styles on my 4X that I liked better for many of the holiday standards.

Korg has a different approach and for playing live, I like it better than either my Tyros or S970. If I was a home player only, I would just use my DGX650, which is what I play for just my own enjoyment.

This year I hope to get much more in depth with my 4X and take advantage of more of what it has to offer.

I'm sold on the 4X for gigging but it's taken me six months of using the 4X to get to this point.

Smile
JBL Eon One
Space Station V.3
DXR10
shadowhankron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Many thanks for your input and replies to my thread.
When I decided to buy the PA4X a few weeks ago.I was caught up with the idea of the midi to style conversion..But having tried it out..I am disappointed in the outcome of styles.
I thought too that many users on this forum would have quality song styles to share as I was spoiled with choice from Yamaha members on my Tyros 2 which is now not working on one sound channel output. That's why I got the Psr s970 to keep using Yammy styles.
I know deep down that there is a lot to offer on this PA4X and should give it a chance....But can anyone offer me song styles of sixties music Beatles..Stones..Hollies. The Shadows. Etc.....As I am in my late 60,s I grew up with this music.

Another problem with the PA4X I cannot PLAY styles direct from USB stick I have to load into a user slot...That is no good to me.
Thanks guys
Happy New year to you all

Ronnie
eli125

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowhankron wrote:
.I was caught up with the idea of the midi to style conversion..But having tried it out..I am disappointed in the outcome of styles.
?????????????????
shadowhankron wrote:

Another problem with the PA4X I cannot PLAY styles direct from USB stick I have to load into a user slot...That is no good to me.

Ronnie
read the post Understanding "Direct Disk" access http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103894
barry murphy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really the korg failing on the midis. More like inferior midis that have lots of errors. These have to be corrected first.( particularly note off ). I don't have a 4x but I do have a KN6500 which could make styles 15 years ago. I found it had to be a good midi.
Barry
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU BARRY
Barry wrote:
It's not really the korg failing on the midis. More like inferior midis that have lots of errors. These have to be corrected first.

+100000000

The majority of those "free" internet MIDIs are garbage.
I have been using professionally created MIDIs and had some excellent results using the PA4X conversion.

As there are no controlled MIDI channel standards I think the PA4X MIDI-to-style does an amazing job.

One needs to know all about the MIDIs one is using and most professionally created MIDIs will come with documentation.

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
dhoom.more

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have step to step guide on how to clean and convert the freely available MIDI file into Korg style using say Logic Pro X?
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
THANK YOU BARRY
Barry wrote:
It's not really the korg failing on the midis. More like inferior midis that have lots of errors. These have to be corrected first.

+100000000

The majority of those "free" internet MIDIs are garbage.
I have been using professionally created MIDIs and had some excellent results using the PA4X conversion.

As there are no controlled MIDI channel standards I think the PA4X MIDI-to-style does an amazing job.

One needs to know all about the MIDIs one is using and most professionally created MIDIs will come with documentation.

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
Hi Pete.... could you recommend some good Web sites for HQ midi files....
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eli125 wrote:
shadowhankron wrote:
.I was caught up with the idea of the midi to style conversion..But having tried it out..I am disappointed in the outcome of styles.
?????????????????
shadowhankron wrote:

Ronnie
read the post Understanding "Direct Disk" access http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=103894

just on the day i got an unpassable offer on a pa4x, this is great information... Now all i need to do is convince the wife that i need a 2nd set-up (wanna pair it with my good old Kurzweil PC3x and mainstage)

How long does it take loading a new set?
guitpic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
In general, i do see it much like the mobile phone market, Yamaha arrangers are more like apple (allowing for a slightly better intuitive interface), where Korg arrangers are more like android (allowing the user much more freedom )

I like this analogy. For a number of years I was an android user. I switched to an iPhone to take advantage of Yamaha apps and because it works a bit better when I'm teaching.

The thing is, after using android, my iPhone drives me nuts sometimes. I could configure my android to do a number of things. With Apple I have to figure out how Apple wants things done.

I'm guessing when I get more comfortable with my PA 4X, I will enjoy the freedom to configure my 4 X much in the same way I could configure my android phone.
JBL Eon One
Space Station V.3
DXR10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: