Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing directly to the Kronos' Hard drive from PC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Writing directly to the Kronos' Hard drive from PC? Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a way to either SSH or Samba into my Kronos' hard drive - I have a bunch of file organization I want to do and doing it directly on the Kronos is pretty painful, mostly because it takes a long time to move a bunch of files. (Selecting over 100 files, especially when there's no select all button, then pressing the menu key requires patience at the very least...)

Anyway, I realize that you can do it if you get a USB-Ethernet adapter and then enable FTP - I understand that. However, I don't have a USB-Ethernet adapter.

Yes, I suppose I could open up the Kronos and plug in an ethernet cable directly into the motherboard, though I'm not sure if anyone has done this and can verify it works. Maybe that'll be my project today and I'll document it?

Anyway, just curious if there's some sort of external file-management system for the Kronos that doesn't involve ethernet that someone is aware of that I'm not?

I'd love to be able to just drag-drop samples and files directly into the Kronos but sadly it doesn't seem possible yet via USB.
robw70

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTP via the Ethernet cable is the only way I know of.

It is not possible over straight USB connectivity.

The internal Ethernet port does work apparently. Several examples on the net of people doing so though drilling a hole in my Kronos seemed much more daunting than purchasing a relatively cheap apple USB-Ethernet adaptor which just works.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or copy to a usb stick.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have a vague recollection that some people have installed WIFI adapters inside the Kronos. So it might be worth doing.a search for that on the forum

I ended up purchasing an Apple USB to network adaptor. So whilst I appeciate it is not the answer you were looking for, I can testify that it works fine with Filezilla for performing directory and patch management, and much, much easier than trying to perform it using DISK mode commands on the Kronos.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An usb ethernet adapter is really cheap and the by far easiest way to go. And within the PCG Tools documentation (if I remember right) there's a nice description showing how to get it connected fast.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
Or copy to a usb stick.

I guess you didn't even read my post. Confused

Derek Cook wrote:
Hi. I have a vague recollection that some people have installed WIFI adapters inside the Kronos. So it might be worth doing.a search for that on the forum

I ended up purchasing an Apple USB to network adaptor. So whilst I appeciate it is not the answer you were looking for, I can testify that it works fine with Filezilla for performing directory and patch management, and much, much easier than trying to perform it using DISK mode commands on the Kronos.

Interesting - I was hoping to not need to purchase anything but if it must be done...

That said, I DID search the forum and found there was a dongle of sorts that was more or less a wifi repeater but was powered off of USB. This was a neat idea, I'm half tempted to take it a step further.

I'm considering taking a wifi adapter I have, strip it down to nothing and throw Tomato or DD-WRT on it, and physically put it inside the Kronos. It's a 100/1000 LAN router, and program it into repeater mode. I'd have a jack or some kind on the bottom or side or somewhere non-obvious that would let me connect a laptop to reconfigure if needed, but I'm just missing the power. I'd have to find a way to power it without a dedicated power adapter. That's ultimately the biggest hurdle. I'm fine with electronics and programming, but when it comes to messing with power and transformers and such, I am unfortunately at a loss.
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can acknowledge that the internal LAN port of Kronos is usable and can be used to FTP directly to a PC's LAN port. I have hooked there a WiFi router, which wouldn't work unless internal LAN was usable. Moreover, it works simultaneously with a usb lan adapter. Speeds are much higher over wired connection though. Also, I have seen mods where people made a hole in Kronos rear to fit a regular LAN port, connected to internal one. Wonder why Korg considered to spare money on this.
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

What I ended up doing was simply running an ethernet cable right from the motherboard out the underside of the Kronos.

I've got a Cisco router that I use to bridge wifi connections, so effectively it acts as a wifi card for my Kronos which allows me to organize my files on the SSD's via FTP. I can connect directly from a PC to the same router for faster speeds... I'm now trying to find a way to mount the wifi inside the Kronos but the router doesn't run off of usb so power is my next challenge.

If I can make it work, I'll likely do this to both of my Kronos boards for simple management of files and such.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use ftp (but i am using usb3 hub and apple ethernet adapter with kronos so I can have multiple devices connected to it.

For an easier hack, you can just put the power supply inside the kronos if it fits and take it's power from A/C main-ins, otherwise you'd have to create smaller power board, jump from existing kronos dc supply using a regulators etc for your router. Depends how much you want to work in it.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: