Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Think Kronos has some time left?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Think Kronos has some time left? Reply with quote

Seriously considering getting a Kronos....it's just too awesome to not want one lol. That being said do you think I would be wise to wait for Korg's next considering it's 4 years or so into Kronos' lifespan?

The dynamic is pretty different this time being that Korg and the Kronos are still at the top of the game so I'm not quite sure if the next korg mothership is right around the corner.

What would YOU do?

TY:)
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get it. They've been supporting it with software upgrades and sounds and regardless of what they come up with, I would expect them to keep doing the same. Plus you have to ask yourself, what would the next release do for you that the Kronos doesn't?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
I'd get it. They've been supporting it with software upgrades and sounds and regardless of what they come up with, I would expect them to keep doing the same. Plus you have to ask yourself, what would the next release do for you that the Kronos doesn't?

Updated sequencer....don't know the fine details but from what I understand is there is still no piano roll. I'm kinda perplexed by this since the M3 had one. Did they improve the sequencer from the OASYS architecture?(I don't know, just wondering)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Think Kronos has some time left? Reply with quote

Purpleibby wrote:
Seriously considering getting a Kronos....it's just too awesome to not want one lol. That being said do you think I would be wise to wait for Korg's next considering it's 4 years or so into Kronos' lifespan?

The dynamic is pretty different this time being that Korg and the Kronos are still at the top of the game so I'm not quite sure if the next korg mothership is right around the corner.

What would YOU do?

TY:)

5 years.

We have discussed a few times what might happen between now and end of January.

A few people like myself would like the next generation W/s by January.

If you want the real inside, you would be better off talking to your trusted retail source. Someone you know well, you do business with. Who might talk to Korg and place orders, etc.

I think that source is better than easy to find Internet speculation. Which can be a hobby.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age of the Kronos depends on when you start the clock. Yes, it's been a while since the original Kronos was introduced. But since then there have been two upgrades, the "X" and the "2". Most of the upgraded capabilities of the upgraded keyboards were available for the earlier keyboards.

So the question I'd be looking at is what the next step is for Korg. Will they be producing a "3", or will they be starting a new keyboard line to replace the Kronos? If a "3", then I'd expect that existing owners will be able to upgrade for little or no cost.

Only if they're going to replace the Kronos with a new keyboard line will it be an issue. And even then, that doesn't mean existing Kronos will cease to function. Do you buy a new car every year when the next model comes out? Or do you drive your car for several years, even as newer ones come out?

If you buy a Kronos now, and in four months a completely new keyboard is released by Korg, none of the reasons you bought the Kronos stop being valid. If a Kronos meets your needs, then buy one now.

(The exception is if you're price sensitive. If a completely new keyboard is released, you might be able to save some money buying a Kronos. After all, it's no longer fashionable.)

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
If you buy a Kronos now, and in four months a completely new keyboard is released by Korg, none of the reasons you bought the Kronos stop being valid. If a Kronos meets your needs, then buy one now.

This is a good answer.

The Kronos does meet most needs of any keyboard player. I have the original. It's still looks brand new, plays like brand new and with the updates, is brand new.

When would I replace it? When I am bored of looking at it and I am not wealthy enough to follow that ideal.

I don't see how you would regret it and you could be waiting a long time for a genuine full replacement to the Kronos and not just another update. Rolling Eyes
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purpleibby wrote:
LZ wrote:

Updated sequencer....don't know the fine details but from what I understand is there is still no piano roll. I'm kinda perplexed by this since the M3 had one. Did they improve the sequencer from the OASYS architecture?(I don't know, just wondering)

First, compared to everything else it does, piano roll is a deal breaker? Second, that's the sort of thing that could be added in a future OS update - it's not a hardware limitation.

I would foresee future releases simply being faster processor and more memory. So far all new software has been backward compatible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
The age of the Kronos depends on when you start the clock. Yes, it's been a while since the original Kronos was introduced. But since then there have been two upgrades, the "X" and the "2". Most of the upgraded capabilities of the upgraded keyboards were available for the earlier keyboards.

So the question I'd be looking at is what the next step is for Korg. Will they be producing a "3", or will they be starting a new keyboard line to replace the Kronos? If a "3", then I'd expect that existing owners will be able to upgrade for little or no cost.

Only if they're going to replace the Kronos with a new keyboard line will it be an issue. And even then, that doesn't mean existing Kronos will cease to function. Do you buy a new car every year when the next model comes out? Or do you drive your car for several years, even as newer ones come out?

(The exception is if you're price sensitive. If a completely new keyboard is released, you might be able to save some money buying a Kronos. After all, it's no longer fashionable.)

I do very much give Korg kudos for how they've kept Kronos 1 and X users up to date with the latest. Bravo Korg! In regards if do I buy another car when the new one comes out....I don't do that, my last synth upgrade was the Triton Studio which I still have. It's more about price issue...I'm not worried about fashion....like at all. Thanks so much!
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is still far and away the best workstation around 6 years after it came out. You can't go wrong with it. It is a beast!!
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego5150 wrote:
The Kronos is still far and away the best workstation around 6 years after it came out. You can't go wrong with it. It is a beast!!

Exactly! I'm still learning about what the Kronos can do. Forgive me folks for being "behind the times" on being "in the know" about the current generation of synth tech....

I'm still learning about Kronos....but I'm BLOWN AWAY by Kronos ability to steam the multisamples(the virtual memory off the ssd) to save ram and simultaneously have the ability for 16 audio tracks with the 16 midi tracks.

This is AMAZING to me! You can have gigs of samples loaded! That's why I'm wondering even WHY Kronos needs to be upgraded besides those little things I brought up about the sequencer. From everything I see Kronos is still king! ....and since they just released the Kronos 2 I'm thinking it still has life left....I'm thinking about warranty and parts being available as well.

BTW, I appreciate you guys very much commenting trying to help me out. I appreciate Sharp and the Korg forums community very much.
ando727

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really NEED to add the piano roll! For god's sake Korg!

If you want to compose on the Kronos it makes it so much harder without the roll view. That's the one thing I hate about my Kronos.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
Purpleibby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ando727 wrote:

If you want to compose on the Kronos it makes it so much harder without the roll view. That's the one thing I hate about my Kronos.

YES! The m3 has one, why not the Kronos(I don't know the how good it was on the M3 but I heard it had this feature)
fcoulter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ando727 wrote:

I've had formal training, and trying to sequence anything without full notation support seems just wrong. But people manage to do it all the time.

If I was in the market for a DAW, I'd limit my search to those that support notation. But on a keyboard, with a small screen? Ain't happening.

Which is one reason I'd like to see the Kronos support a separate monitor, one that does not merely mirror the touch screen. But that's not going to happen for a while, if ever.

Korg: Kronos2 88
Other: Tyros 5 76, DGX-650, YPT-320, Fretted Clavichord, Upright Piano, DX-7, SY-99, eMu MPS (last three in attic)

RCM Certificates: Advanced Rudiments
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all comes done to time and money. If you can wait until the winter NAMM show, maybe Korg will have a new flagship.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
gnbutt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am waiting for the next Kronos "flagship" in 2017 and will probably buy it, selling some of my other keyboards off. With a "one does all" keyboard now covering just about any sounds I would ever want, the days of multi-keys needed for a gig are probably over with to some degree, even a 2 keyboard set up is quite capable of handling most requirements. Obviously the Kronos stands out as the keyboard of choice, once the price and specifications are out in 2017, I will probably buy one. GNB
M3-73, Roland Fantom X8, Motif ES7, OMNISPHERE VST and my baby, an old Fender Rhodes 73. Hammond SK2 with Neo Mini-Vent for Organ, Korg Krome 61 with Vintage Synth collection + DSKrome, Killer Organ Package
Roland FA-06
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: