Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Nord Mellotron Tapes Library

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Free Nord Mellotron Tapes Library Reply with quote

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library/mellotron/mellotron-master-tapes
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity they are in Nord format as they sound nice. I don't know of any tools that read NSMP format.

That's not to say one doesn't exist. I just never heard of this file extension before.

Regards
Sharp
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Pity they are in Nord format as they sound nice. I don't know of any tools that read NSMP format.

That's not to say one doesn't exist. I just never heard of this file extension before.

Regards
Sharp

I did not dig too deep in the link as I am not really up with sample conversions etc

Hope there is a way to get these converted. Perhaps Nord will make them available in a different format. Seems a shame to keep them proprietary as they are free.

Probably asking a lot for them to bother though.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any tools to read NSMP files, and I believe that they are an encrypted format. The swiss army knife sample program, AWAVE, does not support the format, which is a sign that it is probably not an easy format to decode.

Whilst not free, there are Mellotron libraries available for the Kronos from Karo (EXS57, EXS58 EXS68), which are a reasonable price. I've downloaded the first one to try out, as I am a huge Mellotron fan (I was a minor contributor to the Yamaha EX5 Mel-Labs project). I use GForce Mtron Pro in the studio, but it would be great to the have Mellotron on the Kronos for live use.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
...but it would be great to the have Mellotron on the Kronos for live use.

There are some Mellotron samples already in the Kronos. They can be found in U-A071 - U-A085. I also have the Karo samples and they are good. There was a Mellotron CD-Rom that came out a few years back and I've found that had some great samples on it, but that is no longer in production. Also check out William Busch's offering here: http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/reeds-tapes-and-transistors.html He has a few very nice samples all ready to go for the Kronos.

If you get addicted to these tape samples, I also recommend you check out Pea Hicks site on the Optigan. He has a disk available of samples you can put on your Kronos. http://optigan.com/shoptigan/soundware/
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the samples on board of the Kronos (which are already a very nice choice of important Mellotron sounds in good quality), there's plenty of Mellotron sounds out there which can easily be sampled to the Kronos.

Even on an iPad you find an excellent compilation (M3000HD with InApp library purchases) at a very decent price.

So the Nord library may be a nice addition for Nord users. But to me it is far from being anything breath taking for Kronos users. And seriously, who will ever use some kinds of sounds like the whimpering Mellotron B3 sounds from the Nord demo, for any other reason than having a funny gimmick???
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp

ROFL this would be the day I read about Korg diehards longing for Nord made stuff this is epic I can see the humor in this XD. No no guys I don't think this would converts itself that easy as Korg would converts their own. Got to hand it to those Nord guys it is a very nice sound set kinda jealous.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

There are some Mellotron samples already in the Kronos. They can be found in U-A071 - U-A085. I also have the Karo samples and they are good.

Thanks for the reply. I have checked out the Kronos built in Mellotron samples, and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed by them compared to what I already have available in my EX5 (stuffed into 16MB of FLASH Shocked ) and in MTRON pro. I probably need to revisit them to see if making my own programs based around the samples will liven them up a bit.

I intend testing out the Karo samples when I get time (the usual problem). Smile

If they are no good, I could always sample (for my own use) the MTRON into the Kronos.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:

Also check out William Busch's offering here: http://thekronosblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/reeds-tapes-and-transistors.html He has a few very nice samples all ready to go for the Kronos.

Yes, that's also on my "round tuit" list, as he also mentions CP80 ala Tony Banks samples

phattbuzz wrote:

If you get addicted to these tape samples, I also recommend you check out Pea Hicks site on the Optigan. He has a disk available of samples you can put on your Kronos. http://optigan.com/shoptigan/soundware

Thanks, that's one I didn't know about. Steve Hackett (my guitar hero, if I had to pick just one) was a huge fan of the Optigan, which was made by Mattel of all companies! It appears in prominence on "Sentimental Institution" on his "Defector" album. I think it was also used in "A Tower Struck Down" from Voyage of the Acolyte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optigan

If anybody is interested, I did a history of the Mellotron (pre-Wikipedia days Smile ) for the Yamaha EX5 Mel-Labs project that several of us over at EX5Tech contributed to, and which can be found on the link below, and (as well as the EX5 specific stuff) includes a history of the Mellotron and also a "how it works" section.

http://www.echoes-music.co.uk/Mellotron/Start_Here.html

Long live the mighty 'tron! Very Happy

My Echoes Music Website
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Regards
Sharp

ROFL this would be the day I read about Korg diehards longing for Nord made stuff this is epic I can see the humor in this XD. No no guys I don't think this would converts itself that easy as Korg would converts their own. Got to hand it to those Nord guys it is a very nice sound set kinda jealous.

If anything it's seems sort of tragic that nobody is bothered with writing software that supports Nord format. Seems every other manufacture sample formats are supported by conversion software.

Regards
Sharp.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nord samples are not free, their cost is included in the price of the Nord keyboards.

They are an important asset of the Nord keyboards, and you pay for them when you buy a Nord keyboard.

Nord does not sell them independantly of their keyboards, that's quite different from other manufacturers and I fully understand why Nord does not want them to be converted for use in other gear.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
I fully understand why Nord does not want them to be converted for use in other gear.

Seems major negative selling point to me.
What good is a keyboard that has a native sample format no conversion software supports?

Regards
Sharp
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nord Sample Manager application allows you to load samples in wave format into your Nord keyboard.

The only limitation is that samples cannot be converted from Nord format to other formats, which is not a problem for a Nord keybd owner Wink
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
The Nord Sample Manager application allows you to load samples in wave format into your Nord keyboard.

The only limitation is that samples cannot be converted from Nord format to other formats, which is not a problem for a Nord keybd owner Wink

Got ya. Thanks.
They do sound great too.

Cheers
Sharp.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Korg Module users - just noticed there is a free Mellotron download and it sounds pretty good. Long live the Moody Blues!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: