Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You can import (not convert) R3 programs into RADIAS!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiPI

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: You can import (not convert) R3 programs into RADIAS! Reply with quote

Hi there!

You can „import” the R3 programs into RADIAS…
Do you think it’s more complex than your skills? No, it’s not… Very Happy

I just discovered that simple way to import R3 programs from a r3l file into a RADIAS rdl file while I inquiry the differencies between the two synthesizer editor files...

Of course this process is not a program parameters conversion one by one! It’s seems like the „shorten way”…

You just need a hexeditor like XVI32 (http://xvi32.en.softonic.com/) and a truncated rdl file…

1. Open your hexeditor.
2. Open the wanted KORG R3 r3l file
3. Go to the 299199th (dec) byte. Here is the end of the R3 program bank.
4. Let’s select bytes up until the 192th (dec) byte (included!). Ont hat address start the R3 program banks with the first program. Copy to clipboard the data. (Press CTRL+SHIFT+PageUP, then localise with SHIFT+Arrows in XVI32)
5. Open the „rdl_init.” file. It’s contains an Init rdl file exluded the first 128 program.
6. Go to (CTRL+G in XVI32) the 192th (dec) byte!
7. Paste the copied clipboard data…
8. Let’s „convert” the R3 data to RADIAS data… Wink What we need is replace the R3 program identifier „510p” to RADIAS program identifier „316p”. Replace all entries!
You just „imported” 128 R3 program to a rdl format file…
10. Let’s "Save as" as a rdl file… Be attentive by the file extension!
11. Load the rdl file into RADIAS editor and have fun! Smile

Some minor difference are discovered, but it's a mostly a working process I think.

This "HowTo" with printed screens and the mentioned rdl_init file are downloadable from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8y2nkvuup4spwf/ImportR3intoRADIAS.zip?dl=0

Best regards! Keep tweaking! Smile

Music: http://lipi.bandcamp.com
Patches, "goodies": http://lipi.atw.hu
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much ... I don't own a Radias/R3 but maybe in the future I will add this feature in PCG Tools.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LordVampyre

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance it can go from Radias to R3? Just wondering.
DaniH

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordVampyre wrote:

That would be ideal but doubtful.
LiPI

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaniH wrote:
LordVampyre wrote:

That would be ideal but doubtful.

It's can't be one by one, but can with some restrictions...
The R3 has 2 timbre/program, the RADIAS has 4.
The R3 has 1 modsequencer/timbre, the RADIAS has 3/timbre.
The R3 has not stepsequencer, the RADIAS has 2/program.
The R3 has not "drums", the RADIAS has.
The R3 has not Portamento curve, the RADIAS has.
The R3 has not "LFO Shape", the RADIAS has.
The R3 has 128 program, tha RADIAS has 256.
And so on...

And these are just the major differences, so I think some simple program or parts of a RADIAS program can be imported to R3 with these restrictions... There is a promising fact in r3l file: all R3 program has 4 timbre in the r3l file... I'm not sure, don't test that (I have not R3 for some years) but probably if a program in a r3l file has 4 timbre data, the R3 editor can load it, but the R3 take into processing just the first two timbre...

Also you have make some other changes not just the "510p->316p" changes...
For example, the R3 program has an attribute on the 31th(h) address: it's 40h->layer, D0h->multi, 80h->split and 00h->single mode of the program. In the RADIAS programs this byte is 00h, so if you don't change this bíte the R3 mean that it's single program with a single timbre.

I discovered a byte sequence difference on 35th(h) address; it's 08 02 01 00 in a R3 program and 00 03 01 02 in a RADIAS program. Maybe it's the PC editor version info...?

Also if I import a RADIAS program (rdp) to a r3p file with these modifications, the R3 editor says "This file is saved by newer version of PC editor. Continue?". When I press yes, the program is loaded, and the main program parameters (with the restrictions) are seems ok...

So I have to say: the R3 can't do what RADIAS can, but many of the program parameters are importable from RADIAS to R3; and the R3 can sound a pretty close version of a RADIS program, if the RADIAS program doesn't have more parameters than the R3 can handle (for example just the first 2 timbre is used, not used drum timbre, not used stepseq, just 1 modseq used, etc...)

If you interested in, you can settting up a RADIAS editor on your PC. You can open rdl files, you can save rdp files, and so on...

My advise is start with some simple RADIAS program... you will see the results, and you'll can decide it worth or not take time with rdp->r3p conversions...

Anyway a curiosity: if you view the R3 editor exe file binary content there is a strange character string: "MS3000 RADIAS MS3000" Smile

Music: http://lipi.bandcamp.com
Patches, "goodies": http://lipi.atw.hu
LordVampyre

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for all this information. Might have to give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: