Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stand vs. Sit?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Stand vs. Sit? Reply with quote

For performances, I'm trying to get a sense of how many people prefer to play standing versus sitting and why.

I ask, because when sitting I sometimes feel restricted and want to move more with the music, but being 6'1 tall, I'm guessing I'd need a pretty high stand if I want to remain standing
Thanks
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'6 and use an Ultimate Apex, works fine for standing up. I play only with my 88 and it's not completely at the top position.

Whether I stand or sit depends on the gig, I have a K&M table type for sitting.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always stand, because playing in a rock band looks stupid. However, sometiems I wish I could sit, since I use foot pedals/switches very regularly (to be able to keep my hands on the keyboard).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I always stand, because playing in a rock band looks stupid. However, sometiems I wish I could sit, since I use foot pedals/switches very regularly (to be able to keep my hands on the keyboard).

Try not to care how stupid you look, just be yourself! Very Happy
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer sitting and the reason is I am also the frontman in a band so sitting gives me a little break from the energetic jumping around I do as a frontman.

Someone mentioned that it looks silly in a rock band to sit. Do you think that Paul McCartney or Elton John look silly?
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand, have for many years. I have on a few occasions have sit while performing but it felt strange, easier to control the foot pedals but I feel that standing makes me feel more involved for some reason. Mental thing I guess.
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out sitting back in the day because of having very large instruments like a Hammond, Piano etc. In the 80's I switched to standing when the keyboards got better at emulating those older large instruments. In the 90's still standing. In the 2000's, I changed to sitting again because of the pedals. I routinely switch a Leslie speed switch, volume pedal and sustain pedal. This can be hard on the feet!

After sitting for over 10 years, I don't find it unusual at all. (The drummer sits!)

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: r Reply with quote

Agree with Geo and i did exactly the same as you back in the the Hammond days i sat mostly but would stand sometimes. In the 90's always was standing and grooving with the music but now since 2006 i have been sitting mostly because i can play much better sitting but will stand on certain songs. But i prefer sitting because i am in my 50's and i play much better than i did in my early days. But do what feels right for you.
fcoulter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I prefer sitting and the reason is I am also the frontman in a band so sitting gives me a little break from the energetic jumping around I do as a frontman.

Someone mentioned that it looks silly in a rock band to sit. Do you think that Paul McCartney or Elton John look silly?

Or Tony Banks?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still rock'n at 65, and stand. Have been doing it that way for decades. Sometimes the stage is small, and I may get pushed in the back row. If that would happen and I'm seated, I would have a great view of my guitar players 'you know what'. YUCK!

But at my age, get out of my way on break, cause I need to set down for awhile. Cool
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fcoulter wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote:

Or Tony Banks?

I always stood when I played in rock bands, but I had to start sitting when I became "Tony Banks" in a Genesis tribute band. At first, I felt really silly, but Tony was always seated and I have two keyboards plus 7 pedals to contend with. It just couldn't be done standing up. I've gradually become accustomed to doing it and I think I play better as a result (plus my feet aren't killing me at the end of a show).
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're super tall, you might consider a forward facing stand. I'm not the tallest person in the world, but my Kronos88 faces forward, which allows me to set it really low (waist high). It's super easy to play. I even have a 2nd tier above it, and that's still fairly low.

I manage my forward facing Kronos with a modified A-Frame stand, but you could do the same thing a number of other ways
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
fcoulter wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote:

Or Tony Banks?

I always stood when I played in rock bands, but I had to start sitting when I became "Tony Banks" in a Genesis tribute band. At first, I felt really silly, but Tony was always seated and I have two keyboards plus 7 pedals to contend with. It just couldn't be done standing up. I've gradually become accustomed to doing it and I think I play better as a result (plus my feet aren't killing me at the end of a show).

It's the multiple pedals for me as well that made me sit down since 2008 when I always stood before then. Since 2008 I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band, and Rick Wright sat down with no complaints, so I thought if it's good enough for him......

I did a small open mic night thing last year with just the Kronos and a single foot switch, so I stood for that. It felt odd.....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:

Let's be honest - Sometimes Elton John has looked a little silly over the years. But it's not because he's sitting. Wink

The hats, the glasses, there have been times he has looked a bit silly. But when you write, play and sing like that you can do whatever you want!
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always stood. It's bad enough being back in the corner behind a wall of keyboards....if you can't move around, you may as well be part of the back drop. I always try to dance around and get into it as much as possible. That's very difficult to do while sitting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: