Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple's new iPad Pro 9.7 / 12.9
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Apple's new iPad Pro 9.7 / 12.9 Reply with quote

I was mildly excited when I read that the new iPad Pros had better cpus but then I saw that they both lack much ram. Even the larger more expensive one has a mere 4 GB. And of course you cannot add more.

The real deal breaker though is that they both lack that touch sensor aspect as is in their new iPhones. Bummer really.

It also seems crazy that you don't get any Macs with touch facility. That would probably cause huge problems for them in differentiating their products. Why would a Mac not be able to run all those iPad apps then?

And $150 for a keyboard? $100 for a stylus?

I have a heap of iPad apps already so the proposition is still tempting.

When you can get a really powerful Wndows laptop / desktop for about the same price it makes the iPad Pro seem a tad overpriced.

Just my meandering thoughts.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSX hasn't really jumped into touch screen support yet. That may seem strange because iOS is so well-optimised for touch but the development paths are different. Kind of like the Korg PA series (from Italy) has articulation support (DNC) and the top line Kronos synths (from Japan/US) does not.

Windows is getting pretty far with this and several Windows DAWs have pretty good touch screen support.

Probably Apple will arrive on the market without warning with a touchscreen Mac that does about half the things Windows does but makes it look twice as good.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
OSX hasn't really jumped into touch screen support yet. That may seem strange because iOS is so well-optimised for touch but the development paths are different. Kind of like the Korg PA series (from Italy) has articulation support (DNC) and the top line Kronos synths (from Japan/US) does not.

Windows is getting pretty far with this and several Windows DAWs have pretty good touch screen support.

Probably Apple will arrive on the market without warning with a touchscreen Mac that does about half the things Windows does but makes it look twice as good.

I think they said no to touch on Macs as that would cannibalize their iPads etc

There are possibly ways to add touch monitors to Macs I think. Not sure about that point though.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this by far the biggest tablet in the market?

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Is this by far the biggest tablet in the market?

Depends how you define tablet. The Microsoft Book Pro is slightly larger.

Some two in one type laptops are bigger. Those have removable keyboards and touch screens etc
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not, there are far larger ones.
chilly7
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

Apple was clear that they do not want merge OSX and IOS like merge toaster and refrigerator.

Touch screen displays for desctop looks cool in store but try to use touch display for 30 minutes in a raw for work and you will see why Apple does not want touch support for OSX.

P.s. I think in general keyboard and a mouse are best things for desktop computers and touch for mobil devices. Of cause in some specific cases might be exceptions.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've obviously never used a touch enabled DAW on a large touch enabled monitor. One isn't completely replaced by the other. Fine cuts and edits remain better with mouse and key commands, but navigation (and zooming) and fader/knob adjustment is soooo much quicker and more intuitive with touch enabled. I know you're an Apple fanboy but Apple is definitely getting into the touch market, don't worry. Then all Apple fans will pretend Apple invented it :p
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:

I don't understand this...why would OSX need TOUCH stuff?
Isn't IOS for that? Or unless i am missing something.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:

I don't understand this...why would OSX need TOUCH stuff?
Isn't IOS for that? Or unless i am missing something.

Because for certain things touch works better, for other things its still mousing... As Sander explained above...

If OSX goes touch ever... The touch should be on top of the mousing and not replace it... So it adds something extra...
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a pc wth a touch screen quite a novelty but I didn't like it. I used the mouse al the time anyway. On my mac if I want gestures i use the glide pad. I can get pretty accurate the new ones have a pressure dimension which I haven't tried yet. I would love an iPad with the full OS X until then for me I will take a glide pad with apples gesture control over a touch screen, at least for my computer. Both approaches have positives and negative but I do not miss touch on my macbook pro and I attribute that directly with the use of the glide pad.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't really about gestures. Check out the Slate Raven if you want an example of what touch based control can mean for your workflow. Some Windows DAWs already approximate this with native touch support (and improve on it in several ways). I have no doubt at all that OSX will start supporting touch at some point. It'll be limited but elegant and suddenly Apple fans will pretend that it was invented by Apple and is better than sliced bread.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was I am perfectly happy and capable with the gestures I can use with the glide pad. I did not like nor bond with the touch PC. My shoulder literally ached after suing it for awhile. Now devices like rave are cool. I have only talked with one person who had one though and they said they got a bit tired of it after a few months. One does not mean that is the case for the whole. I bet you are right Apple will adopt it at some point. But if it costs me more and eliminates my glide pad I don't want it.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A yeah I hear you. The best workflows I've seen have a large touchscreen positioned flat on a desk, or at a slight angle like a keyboard, and a regular screen set up normally like a monitor.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that would make much more sense! The monitor like normal that is a touch screen is just a horrible ergonomic experience, at least for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: