Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos boot time is a feature)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aziz1008

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Kronos boot time is a feature) Reply with quote

Hi. Those too unhappy and critical of Kronos boot time duration, can trick their mind and think that during this loooong boot Kronos actually loads its looong possibilities)).

Endless possibilities would definitely require endless or eternal boot time, but Kronos is so kind to all of us and boots the whole endless Universe of possibilities within 2-3 minutes! That's fair enough to say the least, and even great.

And it is a feature in terms that Kronos is a serious instrument, so while loading, it gives you some time to prepare yourself and think twice, what masterpiece are you going to play this time).
Or you can heat up your fingers to run faster on its keyboard)

Sorry for my strange English!)
Current hardware: Kronos-1 61+1GB RAM+2nd HDD 320 Gb, Triton Extreme 76+MOSS+RAM+dual microSD to CF adapter+64 Gb microSD card, Roland GW7, Casio WK-3300, Casio CTK-631, Farfisa child synth, laptop HP Envy dv7 16Gb ram, Core-i7, 128 SSD+720 GB HDD, E-MU 0202 USB Audio Interface.
Midi: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 61, launchpad mini, 3 Korg nano controllers, AKAI LPD+LPK, Behringer C2000.
My Kronos wish-list: www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661561#661561
gjvti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogue purists would probably note that analogue circuits also need time to warm up before they reach their working condition Wink
...but seriously I hope that technology will allow to improve that at some point, let say... in next 20... 30... years...
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider loading time a feature; however I don't mind. I normally switch on the Kronos first, than I do the rest of my cabling. Normally I'm exactly finished when the Kronos has boot up (it's like a game, to be finished before the Kronos is).

The only disadvantage is when there is a power failure and the Kronos has to boot during a gig, but only happened once.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Aziz1008 is on to something here. Take the 2 minutes to appreciate whats going on inside. I the "old days" it took more than two minutes for me to crank up my first major rig: Hammond C3, Yamaha CP30, Elka Rhapsody, Honer D6 and Univox K1. Not to mention 30-45 minutes to move it in! I for one am most grateful.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm old so I just have a quick nap! Wink
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
metallo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is an amazing, killer machine....but the boot time is a pain in the back, so if you are masochist and you like pains yes, it is a feature.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between my Moog and my Kronos the Kronos hauls ass. Moog is up making sound faster but doesn't really shine for 10-20 minutes. Kronos is rock steady after just a few.

I have thought about putting it on a timer so it is up and running when i want it. I normally play about the same time every morning and evening so with the Kornos auto off feature I could have it over up play away and if I am in a rush and head out it will shut itself down shortly after.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I don't consider loading time a feature; however I don't mind. I normally switch on the Kronos first, than I do the rest of my cabling. Normally I'm exactly finished when the Kronos has boot up (it's like a game, to be finished before the Kronos is).

The only disadvantage is when there is a power failure and the Kronos has to boot during a gig, but only happened once.

This!

My setup process is to plop my boards on my stands, plug in the power cables and turn on the Kronos.....THEN star running cables, pedals, hooking up monitor, tuning guitar if I'm playing guitar for that gig....it's always booted up before I'm done setting up.

I've played a lot of gigs and never had an issue with a Kronos reboot mid-show. So really, as long as you aren't turning on your Kronos less than 2 min before sound check, I don't really see an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: latest OS version much quicker Reply with quote

I think some are becoming complacent here and indeed forgetting that a sophisticated electronic musical hardware instrument like the Kronos needs time to organise itself to reveal it's wealth of facilities to you!

And BTW I have noticed the latest OS 3.04 has shortened the boot up time anyway!

Stop moaning and get creative!

Always be true to yourself
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "LIKE" button?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chini +1
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagreed on that - it's not a feature, it's shoddy design. It's very much possible to boot everything that Kronos does in less than 30 seconds, if only Korg didn't skimp on the actual hardware inside.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Disagreed on that - it's not a feature, it's shoddy design. It's very much possible to boot everything that Kronos does in less than 30 seconds, if only Korg didn't skimp on the actual hardware inside.

Then you should have no problem designing and releasing it at a competitive price and taking over the market. I'll wait.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Complacency Reply with quote

LZ +1

…Ok! the world is full of companies that do indeed skimp on build, sometimes too much so. Korg too no doubt have had to compromise at times however I believe it's to keep a healthy balance between price to the consumer and a steady flow of vital funds needed to keep nurturing R&D to bring us wonderful musical instruments just like the KRONOS!

It amazes me how some people can never be satisfied that they are getting their moneys worth from a product like the K that has way more pros to its bow than cons. I am not getting on the sympathy wagon for Korg here but what I am saying is that we are lucky to have people in this life who work hard to invent marvellous creative tools at a high standard.

It's a by-habit of the digital age that some of us expect everything to be absolutely perfect in design these days and when something seems just that little bit amiss we tend to jump all over it like it's such an enormous oversight or some sneaky way for the manufacturer to keep back a little cash….

…We all sometimes forget (me included!) that everyone has to earn a crust to survive in this life, Korg too! If they did skimp on parts that result in a slow boot up so what?…! Look at the vast positives of this instrument that far out way any small oversights in design!..No instrument is perfect. I for one have made Korg aware of a fair few niggles about the K and continue to do so: not as a cry of complaint but as encouragement to improve what is already a marvellous musical instrument.

Am I disappointed that some of those anomalies I have pointed out have still not been implemented after 3 years use of the K?… Hell no! For even in it's current guise today, the KRONOS is the modern day orchestra with an infinite sound pallet for those that are prepared to apply their imagination to it.

As a by note: Korg informed me today that a new update will be addressing a few more things that I and I'm sure a few others here have pointed out since OS3.04...

5 years and the KRONOS is still getting updated! wouldn't you say this is a bonus in this day and age?… and perhaps another reason to give Korg a little slack for not offering us a completely flawless instrument?…!

Always be true to yourself
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 GB of samples in Kurzweil Forte - loads in <30 seconds. Instantly available. Sure, it's a stage piano and not a workstation, but shows that it's possible.

Also, gigabytes of samples in Montage - about 20 seconds boot time. It's possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: