Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio output stopped on gig twice--had to reboot the Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
compumar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Audio output stopped on gig twice--had to reboot the Kronos Reply with quote

I used a new Kronos 2 on the gig for the first time last night and late into the gig, all audio stopped. All of the switches and screens were accessible but no audio whatsoever. I rebooted the keyboard and it did it again about 5 minutes later. I am using 3.03. Obviously this is not acceptable--has anyone experienced this at all? I have to be able to trust this thing 100%--thanks for your input!
ahutnick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside updating the O.S. did you update the firmware version?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Audio output stopped on gig twice--had to reboot the Kro Reply with quote

compumar wrote:
I used a new Kronos 2 on the gig for the first time last night and late into the gig, all audio stopped. All of the switches and screens were accessible but no audio whatsoever. I rebooted the keyboard and it did it again about 5 minutes later. I am using 3.03. Obviously this is not acceptable--has anyone experienced this at all? I have to be able to trust this thing 100%--thanks for your input!

could be power related. Kronos needs a consistent flow of power.
ahutnick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could very well be right about the power issue Greg. I remember my Kronos 2 after having it for 2 weeks or so all of a sudden locked up and emitted a high-pitched squeal. Once the firmware update for the Kronos2 was released and I installed it and no problems since.
compumar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not update the firmware--I will do it and I will also run power directly from our Furman regulator to the Kronos. It is not a UPS, but this could have been voltage dependent because it was late in the night and we were playing very loud and I am sure the voltage could have been compromised--thanks!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahutnick wrote:
You could very well be right about the power issue Greg. I remember my Kronos 2 after having it for 2 weeks or so all of a sudden locked up and emitted a high-pitched squeal. Once the firmware update for the Kronos2 was released and I installed it and no problems since.

+1 On the firmware issue. Since firmware 1.8 was updated I have NOT had an issue.
compumar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Kronos STILL freezing up during the gig w/ stable power Reply with quote

Unless some of you guys or myself can figure this out I am going to have to get rid of the Kronos 2. Out of the last 3 gigs when powering the keyboard with a Furman regulator, the sounds stop entirely and the keyboard has to be rebooted. Obviously it is unacceptable and I cannot deal with this on a gig.

Any other ideas? The problem is so intermittent that I am sure if I take it in for service it won't act up--it always happens late into the night when it has been on for a while and we are playing loud if that helps.

Thanks for any input!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power regulator is not enough. Use a UPS -- uninterruptible power supply.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing loud = lots of vibration. Worth checking the internal connections in the Kronos are tight, and also that the RAM is seated firmly in its slot. There have been a few instances of Kronos RAM being loose and causing problems, usually after the Kronos has been handled roughly.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I ever had an issue it was because the RAM popped out of its socket. Which happened because the mobo had gotten a bit loose. I popped it back in, tightened the mobo screws and put a little glue on them. Have not had a problem since, three years and counting. I gig a lot, always bring my own UPS.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be related to a controller turning volume down then not properly resetting. The Vector Joystick is often programmed to control the volume of each oscillator. If it is accidentally moved, you could loose volume of the part(s). Also, if the OP has an expression pedal plugged in, these can sometimes not reset properly with only a reboot seemingly the only way to get volume back. If so, try running without the expression pedal.

It doesn't sound like a motherboard or RAM issue as the Kronos does not appear frozen, only losing audio.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahutnick wrote:

Yes, the same here. After updating firmware and using a UPS, all is well.
compumar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses--I HAVE been using a pedal for volume and I'll try it without the pedal and will also get a UPS. I appreciate the help!
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the mythical power argument again. Rolling Eyes

I would be very surprised if it was an issue relating to power supply.

When this issue arises, does the control surface or touch screen respond at all?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
compumar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display IS responsive--I use it in Setlist mode and can change patches but still no audio output. Unfortunately I have been in the middle of songs and haven't been able to fully investigate anything else. If it does it again I will leave it on rather than rebooting and use my S90ES--luckily this is a 2nd keyboard or I would be totally screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: