Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos reliablity on stage (espcially RAM coming loose)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems in Wales, although I am not a frequent gigger. I think a good flight case is a must of course to protect your investment.

Also don't forgot to add a UPS to your gig kit, if you don't already have one. You don't want a 2 minute boot cycle in the middle of a gig!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Rich Z

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had my K2-88 for several months now, never moved from the spot I put it in my room, and it's been pretty much solid. Except, once, a week or so ago, when I was just noodling around on it in a combi, not doing anything special, and next thing I knew a high pitched buzz started screeching, with an error display saying something to the effect that maybe I had turned the Kronos off and then back on too quickly. Which obviously was not the case, as it had just been running along, oh, for about an hour, I guess.

Turned it off, waiting, turned it back on, and it's been fine so far (knock on wood).

Yes, the Kronos is on a UPS with filtered AC. I run all of my computerized equipment that way.

Soooo, it might never happen again, or it might crash again the next time I crank it up. With no warning. Fortunately I don't have any sort of livelihood built up around this thing, otherwise I could see the need for a backup.

I don't suppose there is any sort of RESET button somewhere that I missed so I wouldn't have to cycle the power switch?
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over four years and around 500 gigs now with my original Kronos and rock solid for all of that time until about 2 months ago, when it failed to boot at a rehearsal due to unseated ram.
Opened it up, reseated the ram and reassembled - all done in 20 minutes or so, so not necessarily the end of the world even if it should happen...
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Where does this fairytail about Kronos being unreliable come from?

People like me who's Kronos died while NOT being moved or even being plugged in. I stopped gigging mine years ago. I don't trust it to be reliable after hearing many other people that had the same problem or similar problems.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. Even though I had one scare at a gig I would never want to gig with another board after taking out the Kronos. It absolutely massacres the competition in sound and features.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Sander!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
That's a shame. Even though I had one scare at a gig I would never want to gig with another board after taking out the Kronos. It absolutely massacres the competition in sound and features.

I was a little scared to gig with it at first because i was not sure about reliability but after i used the Kronos live and i went back to my Krome that was it i could not play the Krome anymore after the Kronos sounded so good and have never had any issues but there is always a chance. By the way, I sold the Krome about 3 months after i got the Kronos. I could not imagine having a Kronos and having gigs and leave it at home. But that's my 2 cents.
chini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Solid on the road Reply with quote

I've been gigging with my K88x for 3 years. I have it permanently housed in the bottom tray of its full flight case which has wheels at one end so it gets bumped over loads of concrete in and out of venues: no problems whatsoever. The flight case is fully lined with high density foam and this absorbs all the vibration from wheeling it around.

The Kronos is not only the best sounding/controlling board for the live performer but it is also the most reliable physically as long as it remains in a full flight case- one which the top part can be removed to leave the K in the bottom tray on stage.

I also insert a long strip of stiff cardboard wedged in at the front of the keys to support the keybed frame in transit.

Highly recommended!

Always be true to yourself
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I'm with Sander!

+1. Coupled with my EX5, it is a powerful combination.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (day one) 61 key has been very reliable but I have seen a 73 note version fail with unseated RAM. Overall, as reliable as any other keyboard I have owned.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's maybe worth noting that my Nord Stage also crapped out on me once.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 Kronos at my disposal. I own 2 original 73s (since 2011) and a new 61 bought last summer. I teach at a school with an original 88 (2012).

My first 73 was in my trunk when I totaled my car on th way to a gig. Smashed the right from corner, taking out several keys. I continue to play it at church every week, using a PX-5S as a controller. RAM has always stayed seated. I take it out once a year to an outdoor gig. Never a problem.

The school's 88 lives a cart. It gets vibrated when moved and has bumped door frames and cabinets. Never a problem. I think the Kronos is as reliable as any other keyboard, maybe better than most. But back in the day, we didn't have forums where people aired their problems like we do now. It amplifies the problems, making sound them worse than they are.

If they had a forum like this for the Kurzweil K2500 my school owned before the Kronos, we never would have bought one. Took it to the shop for broken key weights and saw many stacked along the wall for the same problem.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a tale of a Hammond B-3 falling down a flight of stairs and for some reason the roadies stopped working!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are photos of the Kronoses that I mentioned in my previous post:

Stratario

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ram slots have locks. You'd have to push the stick in to make sure the locks snap into plate on both sides. If one ever came out, it would be because the person who put it in didn't set the locks.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: