Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronor or M-50 for recreational user

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross2285

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Kronor or M-50 for recreational user Reply with quote

I've owned an m-50 in the past and really liked it but was wondering if I should spring for the kronos? Money matters but I'd only have to save up for an extra 2 months or so to get the kronos. I mainly use atmospheric, melodic trance like sounds and use the sequencer. Are the atmospheric type sounds a definite upgrade over the m-50? Are the other sounds that much better? Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is to the M50 like the "Death Star" is to a troop transport. Believe it. Smile

To answer your question: Yes, the atmospheric pads are far superior on the Kronos.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what Stephen said. But if you only play for enjoyment at home you might also consider setting up a computer with a decent soundcard and something like Omnisphere.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned the 88 note M50 and liked it a lot. I didn't, however, like its limited polyphony. With all the great combis you could really hear the voice stealing. I purchased a Kronos X88 about 2 years ago. There is no comparison between the Kronos and the M50. It's like comparing a Porshe to a Hugo. I also only play at home. I don't regret the purchase. it is a keyboard that will give you years of joy and keep you busy learning new ways to make music.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is definitely better overall, although there are atmospheric sounds in the M50 that I haven't yet found, or are much modified in the Kronos. I'd say get both. The M50 is a creative fun machine.

I used to own a Yugo (Hugo?) and had a lot of fun in that car ;-) We called it "Zippy" because of the zip-like "Y" in the logo, and boy, it could go, compared to other cars of the day!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an M50 and a Kronos. I gig with the M50. It's not a bad sounding synth and covers all the basic and major sounds quite well (same sound engine as the M3 which was derived from the OASYS), it's lightweight, arguably more reliable, and a small fraction of the cost. Oh yah, if you want a real arpeggiator, the M50 is the only synth between the two that has one. KARMA, while being 10 times more capable and complex, doesn't allow you to create simple, basic patterns without a computer and purchasing additional software.

That being said, the Kronos sounds are MUCH better than the M50 in just about every area imaginable. The real question is, based on your NEEDS, is the Kronos worth the cost for the upgrade.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: