Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Internal Tempo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Global Internal Tempo Reply with quote

Hi all,

I expect the answer to my question will be "no, it's not possible", but I have to ask to be sure.

I have a footswitch set up on my Kronos, configured to tap the tempo. Because the Kronos has seamless transitions between programs and combis, and because Setlist mode makes it so easy to switch between them, I've got a number of programs and combis with only one sound in them. The tempos are likely all 120 bpm, but I'm not even sure of that.

The problem with tapping in a tempo is that it's great until I change sounds, at which point the Kronos switches tempo to whatever was saved in the program or combi I'm switching to.

Is there some trick I'm missing that would let the tempo be global? It really is too bad this wasn't done in Setlist mode, which already lets the Setlist override the volume of a given program. It'd be so nice if each slot gave me the choice to load the tempo stored in the combi/program in a slot or to keep the current tempo.

(I know that I can get exactly this behaviour using an external MIDI clock. I'm choosing between two delay pedals, one of which is great as long it receives its tempo via MIDI and frustrating otherwise, and the other which can successfully be the "master" for MIDI clock. My other two synths aren't any help either; my Moog Sub 37 has no way to tap tempo, and my Waldorf Blofeld Module doesn't even have MIDI out).
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no global tempo but if you could fit all sounds for a single song into a single sequence (using the 16 available timbres) you can load that sequence into multiple setlist slots and specify the active timbre/track for each slot. That would allow you to step through a bunch of different sounds while remaining within the same sequence, so any tempo changes will remain until you select something outside of that sequence.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sander. I'd thought of that, and for the prog rock project I have in the back of my mind to start next year, that'd probably be just what I'd want. For my current jazz project, though, I need to be able to jump around between sounds a lot in a reactive way, based on what the band's doing, so stepping through timbres in a sequence in order won't cut it.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried this, so my suggestion may not even make sense. But, what happens if you continually tap the tempo with your pedal while you're changing slots in Set List? Or, if you at least tap the tempo at the moment slot change?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really imagine a reactive jazz situation where I'd need tempo lock. Could you elaborate? Even so, I'm guessing you could prepare a bunch of your favorite sounds and have them inside a "master sequence". For EP1 and CX3 you wouldn't even need any of the IFX slots.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan: I'd imagine that if you can nail the timing, you can probably get the correct tempo right at, or pretty close to, the transition point. It's just annoying to have to do that all the time.

Sander: My band isn't playing straight-ahead jazz; we're very keys-focused. I have a few ideas in mind where I'll want an arpeggiated part, played on my Waldorf Blofeld module, triggered from the Kronos' keybed, and I may want to change my main comping instrument underneath without having the arpeggiator go out of time. (I can pull this off by using Karma to route the MIDI from the keyboard so part of the Kronos' keyboard is going to an internal sound, and part to the Blofeld; by disabling the "Load Karma When Changing Program" and "Load Karma When Changing Combi" settings, I can switch from, say, a Rhodes program to a B3 program, keeping the split intact and continuing to trigger the Blofeld). Part of the reason for me getting the Blofeld was so I can do this kind of thing: change sounds on either keyboard independently. (And also, the Blofeld's a good deal more hands-on than the Kronos is for synth programming; I much prefer knobs to the touch screen and value fader).

I suppose I could use a song, as you suggest, and use the touchscreen to change which track is active (and so, which Kronos sound is playing); it's not like I'd have to do that for every song, and it's not like an arpeggiated synth part is something I'll decide to go to on the fly.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to have the Blofeld as master clock but I don't know if it has a tap tempo function.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blofeld module doesn't even have MIDI out, so it wouldn't work.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've submitted a feature request.
In the meantime, a Google search for "midi clock pedal" yielded a couple of results; the cheapest I found (at least in the USA) was the TEMPODE, at US$139.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan!

I've noticed the TEMPODE as well. There was another pedal by Tapestry Audio called the Midwife that would've been *perfect* (it had power, MIDI OUT, and a TRS input for a footswitch, and it simply let you tap the tempo; it was also small enough to fit underneath my pedalboard), but it's discontinued.

In the meantime, I'll spend more time evaluating what I can and can't live with, and if, at some point down the road, the Kronos gets a global tap tempo for setlist mode, even better.

I'd *almost* chosen to add a Boss DD-500 to my pedalboard and use it as a master clock except that whenever you load a preset that isn't in the current slot - there are A and B slots, and you can tap tempo, but that only affects the current slot - switching slots forces the new tempo, so it's no better than using the Kronos as master clock right now.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Global Internal Tempo Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:
my Moog Sub 37 has no way to tap tempo

Don't know if this will give you what you need but this is from the Sub 37 manual ...

[TAP]
The SYNC button can also be used to set the arpeggiator’s rate to a desired tempo. To initiate Tap
Tempo of the arpeggiator, press and hold the SYNC button for 1 second. You can now tap the SYNC
button switch at the tempo you want (1/4 notes). On the third tap, the Sub 37’s internal clock will
change rates to match the timing of the switch presses. If you continue to tap the SYNC switch, the
internal clock will be set by a running average of the time between switch presses. To start over, wait
five seconds and then tap the SYNC switch three times to set a new tempo. To exit the Tap Tempo
mode press and hold the SYNC button for 1 second.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:

I've noticed the TEMPODE as well. There was another pedal by Tapestry Audio called the Midwife that would've been *perfect* (it had power, MIDI OUT, and a TRS input for a footswitch, and it simply let you tap the tempo; it was also small enough to fit underneath my pedalboard), but it's discontinued.

I've exchanged messages with someone at Rogue Guitar Shop, who are dealers for Tapestry Audio. They seem to think it might still be available, and are looking into this now. I'll let you know what I hear.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle: I am aware of the SYNC button. From what I remember last night, it doesn't appear to change the tempo unless the arpeggiator on the Sub 37 is actually running, but I'll give it another shot tonight to make sure. It's probably not any more ideal than the Kronos' tap tempo, since I'd assume the tempo changes with each preset. But, it's good to have options.

Dan: Thanks! If it makes any difference, I'm in Canada. I did hear that the Midwife was discontinued directly from Tapestry though; I e-mailed them last night and got a rely this morning. Maybe Rogue Guitar Shop has a bit of leftover stock? I'm definitely interested to hear what you find.
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ploytech 34one that does this that I would part with.

http://www.ploytec.com/34one/
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tcornishmn, but I think I'll work around it for now. I need to finish my pedalboard before I spend money on extras like this that will only be useful once in a while.

And thanks for all the replies, guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: