Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Distortion in all outputs 1-4 + L/R + Headphones DAC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deliad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos Distortion in all outputs 1-4 + L/R + Headphones DAC? Reply with quote

HI,

I have noticed digital distortion when my volume is bit before than 12 o'clock and up…

Can you suggest me what board has been damage?

This digital distortion coming from all rom/ram sounds on all outputs 1-4 + L/R + Headphones

According to the kronos service manual it should be boards

Klm -3002 – main board – which has the DAC connected to AUDIO BOARD KLM-3005 – maybe DAC chip is damaged?
Klm -3005 – audio board

1. What do you think and what are the prices for each board,
2. Is there any core charge for damaged board?
Thanks
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it the main volume is an analog pot directly connected to Main L/R and Phones. It shouldn't be able to cause/affect digital clipping at all. Additionally, it shouldn't affect the output levels of individual outs 1 through 4.

Just saying this because it may impact your conclusions about what the exact cause of your issues is.
deliad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: i don't think Reply with quote

i don't think that the volume potentiometer is causing the distortion, the volume potentiometer seems to works well
i think its one from the boards...

anyone from korg japan can help here?
OPs?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what do you mean with "when my volume is bit before than 12 o'clock and up…"?

There is nobody on here from Korg Japan as far as I know. Dan is from Korg US R&D but doesn't really comment on technical issues other than to refer to the official service centers, which is what I'd also recommend beyond this point.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: i don't think Reply with quote

deliad wrote:
i don't think that the volume potentiometer is causing the distortion, the volume potentiometer seems to works well
i think its one from the boards...

anyone from korg japan can help here?
OPs?

As SanderXpander notes, if you notice the distortion only when the analog volume control is at a certain point, then by definition it's not going to be related to the DAC. Also, if you are noticing it on the individual outputs, it won't be related to the analog volume control. So unfortunately, from the description so far, it's a little difficult to tell what's really going on.

My first thought, if you're noticing distortion on all outputs - especially if this is a sound that you made yourself - is that the sounds are clipping. It's quite possible for internal levels to far exceed the maximum signal level (0 dBfs) of the DACs. You can use the meters in v3, or the more detailed meters in effects such as the Stereo Mastering Limiter, to check.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
deliad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: TO NOT CONFUSE! Reply with quote

Edit

Forget about the sentence "volume is 12 o'clock...."

This distrotion can be heard when ALL SOUNDS ROM/ RAM is on standard volume output level from the kronos mixer...(means, i see it on Kronos Screen)

dB from main/ hp output from the kronos is below -4 db

AND IT HAPPENS ON ALL 1-4 outputs aswell which aren't related to the volume control, so its ABSOLUTELY RELATED to damage of the DAC or ADC on the main board or something on audio board

Dan , can you ask there how to verify what's damaged exactly
deliad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: can you please tell me where to get kronos spare parts? Reply with quote

partsisparts doesn't have any replacement board parts for kronos
deliad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: can you please tell me where to get kronos spare parts? Reply with quote

partsisparts.com doesn't have any replacement board parts for kronos can you tell me where i can get replacement parts?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: can you please tell me where to get kronos spare parts? Reply with quote

deliad wrote:
partsisparts.com doesn't have any replacement board parts for kronos can you tell me where i can get replacement parts?

For service-related questions, please contact your national Korg Distributor; see the link in my signature.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
miljantoto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Distortion in all outputs 1-4 + L/R + Headphones Reply with quote

deliad wrote:
HI,

I have noticed digital distortion when my volume is bit before than 12 o'clock and up…

Can you suggest me what board has been damage?

This digital distortion coming from all rom/ram sounds on all outputs 1-4 + L/R + Headphones

Thanks

I asked the same question long time ago but everybody
try to convince me that I do not hear very well and that is what I'm talking about is not possible. ?????? Unfortunately, many around the world have this problem with Kronos distortion sound .
It is always easier to hide such things and do not admit.
I'm sad that "someone heard and some do not"
I wish someone help you but I have lost hope because everyone ridiculed when I say that Kronos has a serious problem with that
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, I'm sure individual units can have issues. As I wrote to deliad, the analog volume control has nothing to do with the DAC and he then explained that it happens regardless of the analog volume setting. Maybe there was some confusion there for you too?
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest is sound handled by the motherboard or does the Kronos have its own seperate sound card ?
deliad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: again! Reply with quote

Again, i was wrong in the way that i explained it

i have some defect in somewhere in the board

and i changed my words!, this distrotion problem doesn't related to volume knob or volume at all

it's digital distrortion because of problem in the MocASP which looks a part from the am1806/am1808 processing unit that talks with all the converters

please put attention that the spdif is not part from the analog in/out dac's and is not part from klm-3005 which is the Analog Audio input / output board

which means this problem coming from the klm-3002 main board, from this Signal processor on the am1808/am1806

attached the schematic of the kronos 1 which explains it all
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are going to have to deal with a service center. I service keyboards, (not Korg) and I can order any board that's available from my companies. I can tell you the retail price and availability.

A Korg SC should be able to do that for you as well. Typically if a part is installed by a service tech it is warranted, but if a user installs it there is no warranty. The biggest problem with this kind of repair is getting the correct part. If you buy a board on an educated guess but are wrong, you may end up having to pay for it anyway. If a SC does it they can usually avoid that scenario.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
deliad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: yes your'e right Reply with quote

but anyway, can you tell me the price for klm-3002 board?

PartIsParts doesn't have it and korg.com forward to them

korg UK doesn't sell parts anymore...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: