Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A band that everyone should support!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: A band that everyone should support! Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of progressive rock and one of my favorite bands is Spock's Beard. I just got their latest cd, The Oblivion Particle and am over the top blown away with it. The playing, the singing and the writing are all amazing. I just wish they would come here to Toronto so I could see them live.
Unfortunately they don't tour around here or tour all that much so chances are I will never get to see them.

I seriously recommend that you all give them a listen. A few albums ago they were selling gear to finance recording and their second last album was financed by pre-sales and somewhat of a kick starter campaign. Check out Spock's Beard. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Jeremykeys, the Prog Fan!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
LordVampyre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know this already but they have/had quite a few vids on youtube. That is where I found them by accident and liked them straight away.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do know. Unfortunately I live in Toronto which seems to be a black hole when it comes to progressive rock bands these days. It wasn't like that way back in the 70's but things have changed. Sad but true. The closest that they have come is Montreal. That's a 5 hour drive away and it seems they usually play on a Wednesday. Since I have to work the next day it tends to make it a no go. Oh well. At least they have vids!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Weirdofromouterspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't consider me a dickhead now Laughing ...

... but I saw them in concert only last Sunday (Sept 27, that is) in Cologne/Germany. They were great, just as good as last year (same venue).

This is the setlist from 2014: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spocks-beard/2014/essigfabrik-cologne-germany-2bcfc07a.html.
Last Sunday's isn't yet online.

They played a real long set including two of my all-time SB favorites, 'On a perfect day' and - as final and looooooong encore - 'The light' Very Happy.

And yes, their new album is great. Received it in the mail yesterday (special edition with Black Sabbath's 'Iron man' as a bonus track) and just loved it. Just the way I love all other albums by them.

Oh, and both support bands (Synaesthesia from England and Special Providence from Hungary) were really good and worth listening to as well!
Kawai: K1
Roland: JX-03
DIY: MFOS Sound Lab Mini Synth Plus | MFOS Sound Lab Ultimate & Expander | MFOS 12-Band Vocoder | TTSH | Jasper | ARP 1601 Sequencer
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another Spock's Beard fan, after purchasing "Beware of Darkness" around 2003 purely on the whim of seeing what a band called "Spock's Beard" sounded like! Smile

I hated that album on the first few listens, and then one day (whilst off sick) I put it on rotaton and it suddenly clicked. Music that you have to work at often sticks with you.

I explain Spock's Beard to people as an intersection of Yes, Crowded House and the Beach Boys! Very Happy You have the playing chops of Yes (without some of the pomposity), the catchiness and quirkiness of Crowded House, and the vocal hamonies of a the Beach Boys.

I was lucky to see them in the UK in 2008 on the "X" tour in Cardiff. They were awesome (and supported by FROST*). Ryo was quite amazed that we had our (then) 12 year old daughter with us. Whilst she wouldn't admit it now, she used to love them!

I personally don't think that "The Oblivion Particle" is as good as their previous "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep", which I think is their best in years, but "Oblivion..." is still very good and rewards repeated listens.

I do think that Spock's Beard miss Neil Morse a little, simply due to the sheer brilliance of the guy. If you like SB, be sure to check out "the Neil Morse Band" and "The Grand Experiment" which is very good.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdofromouterspace wrote:
I hope you don't consider me a dickhead now Laughing ...

... but I saw them in concert only last Sunday (Sept 27, that is) in Cologne/Germany. They were great, just as good as last year (same venue).

This is the setlist from 2014: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spocks-beard/2014/essigfabrik-cologne-germany-2bcfc07a.html.
Last Sunday's isn't yet online.

They played a real long set including two of my all-time SB favorites, 'On a perfect day' and - as final and looooooong encore - 'The light' Very Happy.

And yes, their new album is great. Received it in the mail yesterday (special edition with Black Sabbath's 'Iron man' as a bonus track) and just loved it. Just the way I love all other albums by them.

Oh, and both support bands (Synaesthesia from England and Special Providence from Hungary) were really good and worth listening to as well!

No to worry. I just jealous! I'll have to check out those other bands. Thanks!

@ Derek, I'm jealous of you too. I don't have Beware of Darkness, yet but I'll probably get a copy when I can. I actually found out about them through listening to the band "Transatlantic" and also listening to an inter radio station called simply, "Progrockradio". I just stumbled upon it while surfing the web.
They have more Prog bands than most regular radio stations have songs.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get "Beware of Darkness" - it's one of their best. I actually have all of the SB albums, all of Neil Morse's (even his "Christian ones" are rewarding, no matter what your religious outlook - they tell a story), and then I have all the Transatlantic ones.

There is so much good music out there, it's hard to hold myself back! the UK PROG magazine is a good source of discovery, as is following interesections of personnel in different bands. And Internet Prog radio stations are of course a good source as well - including discovering old bands. I had never heard Camel until a few years back and then one day I heard "For Today" on a prog radio channel and I was hooked!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, are you also occasionally on the Cubase forum? I thought I saw your name there.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, very occasionally. I don't go there often, only to check for updates and the issues that people have around the latest updates.

My Echoes Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: