Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Mk 2 Kronos Realibilty ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nuskooltone,

Great to get feedback from players who have the Kronos on the road, You make reference to program slots and running out. Exactly how many slots do you get ?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also botting during setting up ... The first cable I connect is the Kronos/power cable and switch it on. Than I continue with setting up cabling other keyboard, monitors etc.

Since I have some extra sound libs taking about 3 minutes to boot the Kronos, mostly I'm just finished when it boots.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:
Thanks Nuskooltone,

Great to get feedback from players who have the Kronos on the road, You make reference to program slots and running out. Exactly how many slots do you get ?

Oh when I say that, I just mean between available RAM (Max 3GB) and that there are so many sounds you can do between the various engines and a ridiculous amount of sample streaming (Especially if your installed a 2nd 240GB drive like I have) you can quickly find yourself in a situation of "Pick and choose". As "Problems" go, it's a great one to have! Wink

I get the same amount of slots as everyone else. It's just how you divvy it up. How many of each engine, how much RAM the samples you choose take up, etc..

It's just an incredibly versatile machine and customizable to your needs. Are there some things I'd still like to see improved? Yeah, I'd like to see some more "Analog" out of the AL-1 and I'm contemplating getting a neo vent for the CX-3 as it still just doesn't light me up like even Hammond's Clone does. I'd LOVE to see a Clav Engine based on busch's fantastic samples. To rock between all those settings in REAL TIME would be next level! There are still some Sample Categories I want to replace (Guitars and Solo Saxophone notably) but that's totally doable. Just a matter of some time investment. And that's what's totally GREAT about the Kronos! You're not really "Stuck" with ANYTHING!
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
mintjamman wrote:
Thanks Nuskooltone,

Oh when I say that, I just mean between available RAM (Max 3GB) and that there are so many sounds you can do between the various engines and a ridiculous amount of sample streaming (Especially if your installed a 2nd 240GB drive like I have) you can quickly find yourself in a situation of "Pick and choose". As "Problems" go, it's a great one to have! Wink

I get the same amount of slots as everyone else. It's just how you divvy it up. How many of each engine, how much RAM the samples you choose take up, etc..

It's just an incredibly versatile machine and customizable to your needs. Are there some things I'd still like to see improved? Yeah, I'd like to see some more "Analog" out of the AL-1 and I'm contemplating getting a neo vent for the CX-3 as it still just doesn't light me up like even Hammond's Clone does. I'd LOVE to see a Clav Engine based on busch's fantastic samples. To rock between all those settings in REAL TIME would be next level! There are still some Sample Categories I want to replace (Guitars and Solo Saxophone notably) but that's totally doable. Just a matter of some time investment. And that's what's totally GREAT about the Kronos! You're not really "Stuck" with ANYTHING!

Loads of valid info, which brings to this,

From what I have heard the CX3 organ tone is decent enough, usable for me when I cannot have my Mojo or A100 on stage, but like most clones its the Leslie that sounds wrong. I have a Vent which I would use with the CX3, Can you assign the CX3 to one of the Aux Pairs or Sum it to a Single Aix out then I could run the CX3 via the Vent AND retain the Vib/Chorus ?that would be far more convincing for me.

Some say the Clav and Acoustic Voices are not the strong point of the Kronos, is this true ? I have some great Clavs on the S90ES which I use and if the Clavs are not that great are there any better ones that can be loaded in ?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: using the Kronos live or in the studio Reply with quote

evimidiman wrote:
Hello,

The Kronos uses a SSD just like a computer and if a power failure should occur during the boot process OR while playing a sound (like a grand piano) that streams samples from the SSD, it could certainly corrupt the data and cause you to have to re-install the OS and all of your samples & data.

This isn't quite correct. Whilst the Kronos does use an SSD, a power outage won't affect the operating system unless it occurs whilst you're doing an OS update. Internally, the operating system is on a different filesystem to user data, so corruption shouldn't be an issue.

As for user sounds and samples, again, corruption would only be a risk if it happens to occur whilst you're saving data.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:

Loads of valid info, which brings to this,

From what I have heard the CX3 organ tone is decent enough, usable for me when I cannot have my Mojo or A100 on stage, but like most clones its the Leslie that sounds wrong. I have a Vent which I would use with the CX3, Can you assign the CX3 to one of the Aux Pairs or Sum it to a Single Aix out then I could run the CX3 via the Vent AND retain the Vib/Chorus ?that would be far more convincing for me.

Some say the Clav and Acoustic Voices are not the strong point of the Kronos, is this true ? I have some great Clavs on the S90ES which I use and if the Clavs are not that great are there any better ones that can be loaded in ?

Yes AFAIK you can route the CX-3 to an Aux Pair for the vent and use it effectively as an insert. For the Acoustic sounds it depends. Obviously on taste as well. The Stock EX clavs work pretty well, but the Purgatory Creek EXS Clavs (Which are free) are outstanding. The hardest part is deciding which you want to actually use so to save some RAM (and Program space) by only loading them. Acoustic Pianos are great, Acoustic Guitars are good though I prefer the guitars in my Motif overall IMO. Irish Acts has a GREAT Acoustic Guitar for Kronos! Brass are pretty good especially if you get the funk brass. EXS Woodwinds are good if you have use for them. The best part is you can load any samples you want and you're not limited to Korg. There's also some software like Extreme Sample Converter that's very useful for this.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my main Choice now will be if I choose the 73 or 88, if I part out my Triton Pro which is fully loaded with expansion boards, full ram and moss board then I could get the 73 which would take the place of the Triton and could be used with my S90ES if I needed that set up. The 73 would also work on its own as well if I don't wanna haul another board.

If I choose the 88 then I could get part out the S90ES and keep the Triton and have a dual setup and the 88 could be used on its on.

I need to weigh my options up, Always having used two boards with the possibilities that allows, going down to one board seems a drastic change but with a K88 I could split and layer a fair bit but would need to plan my patches carefully.

Are there any main sounds that are below par on the Kronos ?

For my work I need excellent Piano, Rhodes, Brass, Strings, Choirs, Pads, Lead Synths, Poly Synths, Clavs.

Are the Brass Sections Convincing ?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from two boards to a single 88 and have been mostly happy with it. There are times I miss a second board but it also has benefits. And I do have boards I can and do sometimes bring for specific needs.

I end up using mostly the Sfz Brass section but I also got the funk and soul brass expansions which is quite good. I think if you get the 2015 model a subset of that is already included. Same with the Legendary Strings. I don't use choirs much but I think in all the other categories the Kronos absolutely kills the competition. You have a meticulously sampled clavinet as a free download, with unlooped multi velocity sample layers and all filter and pick up settings, a physical modeling EP engjne as well as several free downloads of the same high quality Rhodes pianos, multi GB pianos and like 6 engines for your pads, leads and polysynths.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A solution that works for me is to use a smaller unweighted MIDI controller with the KRONOS...I use a Roland A-300PRO, mostly for right-hand solos, organs, horns, etc., and then I don't have to deal with splits...the small A300 sits on the top right end of the KRONOS, so it doesn't interfere with the K's controls; no second or 2-level stand is needed; power and MIDI are through a single USB connection to the K; the A300 has lots of programmable panel controls to augment the K's panel; it's light, easy to carry, and doesn't add much to setup time; etc....and there's enough polyphony and the different synth engines for contrasting sounds...

I'm getting one of the new ROLI Seaboard RISE controllers next week and will experiment with that as the solo keyboard, though...I always wanted to have a controller keyboard for solos that could control pitch and modulation (and other things) with the one playing hand, leaving the other hand free for chordal and accompaniment parts...

df
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For about 15 years I used a 1 keyboard rig (the original Triton88, and later on a Triton Studio88). When the Kronos came out I initially got a K61 because of the reported keybed issues. I used this with my Triton Studio88 for a while (very heavy setup) and then a Casio PX-5S (mush lighter) but still 2 keyboards. When the K2 came out I decided to go back to a 1 keyboard setup and so far so good. The only drawback is playing organ and synth solos on the weighted keybed. It is definitely slower, but I only do this 4-6 times a gig. I compensate by playing slightly slower but more intricate licks. Since I play mostly acoustic and electric piano solos, it is not really an issue, and the logistics for a 1 keyboard rig are much better (weight, time and streamlined) in every respect.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintjamman wrote:

Are there any main sounds that are below par on the Kronos ?

For my work I need excellent Piano, Rhodes, Brass, Strings, Choirs, Pads, Lead Synths, Poly Synths, Clavs.

Are the Brass Sections Convincing ?

The Brass is fine. I recommend getting the Funk and Soul Brass to augment what comes stock.

As an owner of a Motif XS, the only thing missing on the Kronos I'd say is the Tenor Sax from the Expansion pack. There's just nothing like it hardware wise IMO. The Strings are OK, but a Sample upgrade I'd recommend. The Acoustic Guitars are good as their own flavor, but I prefer the Motif's. The Distorted Kronos Guitars Suck. Like 1995 suck. Personally I prefer the Kronos Pianos, EPs, synths and the Clav expansion is KILLER. Note this is out of the box. With Sampling or adding Samples, about any deficiency can be corrected.
mintjamman
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say sample upgrade are you referring to a RAM sample upgrade or alternate samples ? I am guessing it's the latter, however from what Have heard the strings sound great.

Also reading through the installation instructions for EXs installs the instructions state only one EXs can be loaded at a time. Does this mean if you have a collection of EX expansions only one can loaded into the Kronos at any one time or can the Kronos load more than one expansion ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: