Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a kronos2-88 backline in Toronto.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KronosCray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Finding a kronos2-88 backline in Toronto. Reply with quote

A band I am in has a very important showcase gig on September 14th in Toronto, Ontario. We will be flying in from Winnipeg, Manitoba. I use a Kronos2-88 with this band and have a lot of custom made programs/combis that are essential for the band's songs.

The last thing I want to do is fly with my kronos. I have a hard case for it but it is almost guaranteed that it will be tossed like a salad by the baggage handlers. I cannot risk having it broken. It is my baby.

I am having a lot of trouble finding a backline company or music store in Toronto that has a Kronos2-88 to rent out.
I am assuming that since I use the new Kronos2-88, that I would have to rent a Kronos2-88 instead of the older version, since I use a lot of the new sounds from the new library. Is that the case? Or can I transfer from usb to any Kronos 88? I would think that the programs would be all out wack.

What are my options?
Ottawa58

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Renting Reply with quote

I don't think you will have any luck renting a Kronos 2 - but the big Toronto Stores are:

Long and McQuade
Moog Audio
Steve's Music
Cosmo Music

If the combis and programs you have are critical (and you can't rent another board) then I'd buy a good hard case --- especially if travel will become frequent in future. In my view, Westjet takes more care than Air Canada - but there's always a risk. The 30 hour drive would not be much fun either!

If money isn't an object, well, do what Stradivarius owners do and buy the Kronos a seat on the plane!
KronosCray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ottowa58.

I paid 600$ for a custom hard case to be made. I'm sure its of high quality, but no matter how strong the case, I feel like the internal components would still be at risk of being damaged from the inertia of being tossed around. Am I right to think that?

We have a Juno G programmed that I can bring but it sounds so cheesy compared to the Kronos. I fear that is what I will have to do.
jeff777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: kronos2 Reply with quote

my kronos 88 is getting fixed in montreal
long mcquade bloor osssington store had none to give me a loaner--so they gave me a brand new kronos 2--until sept 28--so there are probably no new kronos 2's in rental now--unless i get mine back from repair then i will return it to the bloor store

try steves music-but long mcquade is your best bet--they barely rent these anymore--they sell all the rental ones used mostly
LexCan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try a couple of more pro-level backline companies:

Backline Plus (647 288 0179)

Coll Audio (416 264 1188)

Good luck! I tend to agree with your thinking re travelling with your baby! Smile
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a kronos2-88 backline in Toronto. Reply with quote

KronosCray wrote:
I am assuming that since I use the new Kronos2-88, that I would have to rent a Kronos2-88 instead of the older version, since I use a lot of the new sounds from the new library. Is that the case? Or can I transfer from usb to any Kronos 88? I would think that the programs would be all out wack.

The determining factor is the operating system. If you are using, say OS 3.0.3 on your Kronos2, then you can load sounds saved on the Kronos2 into an earlier Kronos (2011) or Kronos-X (2012) as long as they also have the OS 3.0 installed. You can't load OS 3.x sounds on an OS 2.x Kronos.

As far as the programs being out of order, that would not be a problem if you backed up your data as an ALL file with every single Program Bank and Combi Bank. You would just be replacing the entire contents of the unit. If you load all your own Program Banks in, then all your Combi Banks will reference *your* program order.

KronosCray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate it.

StephenKay,

Are you certain? So I can just have the most recent OS on USB stick and upgrade the KronosX rental, then I can load in "all" from my Kronos2 and it won't be an issue?
Don't owners of the older Kronos models have to pay for the new sound libraries that are on the kronos2? Would I not need an authorization code?

Also, If I use my own samples, will they transfer over no problem via Save-all or do I have to re load in all the wave files and setup auto-load KSC what not? (I'm not very experienced in this field, I'm surprised I was even able to figure out how to program the samples a year ago.)

Thanks again.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I don't want to steer you wrong. What I said was true, with regards to programs and combis. As far as actual "Sound Libraries" go, I don't have much experience playing around with them. If they involve the installation of samples, that are licensed and require an authorized key on the machine, then the machine you borrow would have to be licensed for the same Sound Libraries - and have the same samples installed. However, any programs and combis from Sound Libraries that don't refer to licensed samples can still be loaded, since program and combi data are not part of what gets "authorized" - just the samples. Hope that makes sense.

You do raise an interesting point: it seems rather difficult to rent a Kronos and duplicate your entire setup *if* it involves licensed Sound Libraries.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of the three Kronos models (Kronos, Kronos X and Kronos 2) are very similarly architecturally. What's more important than it being the same model as the one you're using is:

1) It has sufficient RAM for any samples you're taking with you
2) It has the same EXs expansions
3) It has the same or higher OS version than was used to save the PCG

A Kronos 1 or Kronos X will be perfectly sufficient as long as these three criteria are met. If you're not using user samples or any of the EXs expansions included free with the Kronos 2, then points 1) and 2) don't apply.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: