Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JS+Y for Leslie speed control in Combi - (figured it out)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: JS+Y for Leslie speed control in Combi - (figured it out) Reply with quote

I'm using the Karma MIDI switching technique to let me switch and layer four preset organ sounds using Karma switches.

It is mostly working, but I'm finding a problem with using the JS+Y to toggle the Leslie speed control.

If I select the Timbres one by one with the Karma Switches, the JS+Y speed control toggle works for Timbre 2 (Routed through Karma A) and Timbre 5 (Routed through Karma D), but does not work for Timbre 3 or 4. All Receive MIDI filters are checked in the Karma / Midi Filter CC Offset page. All MIDI Filters are checked for the four Timbres on the Combi's MIDI Filter/Zones pages.

What else can affect whether the JS+Y CC01 data gets to the EXI on a Timbre?

Last edited by timg11 on Sat May 30, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
timg11

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure this out.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Combi Tone Adjust, but I have removed any rotary speaker settings from the Tone Adjust, and the problem persists.
timg11

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just talking to myself, but I hope this helps someone else down the road....

I figured this out. This is another manifestation of the external keyboard "sustain conundrum". I use an external keyboard for an "upper manual" and to give me the option to play on a synth action.

A longstanding limitation is that when an external keyboard is used to provide separate control to a Timbre, there is no way to route control information from the Kronos to that Timbre.

Most people discover this when they hook up second keyboard, then say "Hey - why doesn't the sustain pedal work for my second keyboard?" Because the Kronos can't forward the control information. The pedal plugged into the Kronos is only on MIDI Gch. I solved this problem by hacking my external keyboard and providing an opto-isolated sustain output for the Kronos. I loop the pedal through the external keyboard, and then to the Kronos damper input. Then the external keyboard provides CC64 on whatever MIDI channel it is configured for.

I'm seeing the problem with rotary speaker speed on some Timbres and not others because some are EXI and some are HD1. The HD1 programs use an IFX for rotary speaker. EXIs have the rotary speaker built in to the program. The IFX chain is global across the timbres in combi mode, so it gets the CC01 on Gch. The EXI programs only get data on the external keyboard's MIDI channel, so they don't get the CC01.

I can work around this by duplicating the rotary speaker for the EXI timbres in the IFX, but that's not optimal because the EXI rotary implementation is better.

Has any new means to work around this been provided in OS 3.x?
If not, the inability to merge MIDI CC data into an Timbre driven by an external MIDI source continues to bite users, and needs to be fixed in the next OS update, IMHO.
Umut Erhan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the sustain pedal connected to Kronos to control external midi keyboard. Let's say you are using the external midi keyboard on ch16, Turn on karma and uncheck Run boxes, At the Midi I/O box set one of the output channels to 16. Then you can control external midi keyboard with pedals, joystick,etc of Kronos.

www.umuterhan.com
www.uesound.com -> Kronos Combi Pack & Sequencer Pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: