Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free PCG: Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Opening Sound)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Free PCG: Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Opening Sound) Reply with quote

Okay, I've been working on this one for a while. Did LOTS of research and... I've got something that is more than usable.

Pardon the playing, I wanted only to demo the sound, not as much to try and re-create the performance.

The demo:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49099211/SOYCD-PF-Demo.mp3

The PCG:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49099211/PFDIAMOND.PCG

The sounds are all there for you to tweak as you'd like. The Taurus Bass, The lead sound and the VC3 I believe are all entirely accurate. There's also some organ hiding in the background but for polyphony problems you can disable that channel if you want. The string sounds I believe are also pretty close too.

Again, feel free to tweak levels as you wish, but hopefully this will keep those of you who are looking for something like this happy for a while.

As a side note, there were no samples used in this at all - Everything you hear was something I programmed Smile

I welcome feedback and if I get enough, I might generate a version two. I believe this one to be about 95% accurate however.

Programs in User EE and User FF, Combi in User E.

Enjoy!
DanielD71

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Enigmahack !
Thank you

Regards
80salife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi enigma,

as always a good job!!!

One questions, how are you begin to rebuild a sound?

Do you prefer an existing sound or an Init sound?

If you hear a sound, to you know its a saw/pulse/sync etc? Do you hear the envelopes, Cutoffs, etc...Polysix/MS2000, AL-1 or HD1?

You are so quick in programing sounds and the result is so near to original.. respect...

While owning a KRONOS the most time I'm mainly engaged in finding sounds that have a basic relationship...

Yesterday I've started a new sound and after one hour I was so tired, that it was impossible to work on...and without a result...Sad

Live:
Korg KRONOS, Triton Extreme 88, Korg Trinity V3, Roland Integra, Yamaha TG 500, Korg DS-8, CME UF 88, MOTU Timepiece II,
Studio:
Samson Resolve, Rhode NT1, Ultimate Stands, Korg Legacy Collection,KARMA KRONOS, Extreme Sample Converter, Native Kontakt Piano Collection, OPX Pro II,Native Instruments GuitarPlugs, Wave Gold
John_O

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so very much for this. Sounds excellent and will definitely will work.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80salife wrote:

One questions, how are you begin to rebuild a sound?

Do you prefer an existing sound or an Init sound?

If you hear a sound, to you know its a saw/pulse/sync etc? Do you hear the envelopes, Cutoffs, etc...Polysix/MS2000, AL-1 or HD1?

Well, honestly, I have a process. 99% of the time, I prefer to start from scratch as I learn more that way. Also, I feel like I can get a sound to about 80% accuracy faster from scratch than looking through all however many thousands of sounds that are already in the Kronos. Only if I'm already familiar with a very specific sound to I copy what's there.

The other reason I don't like copying another person's sound is because sometimes they have assignments that are subtle that will impact the final sound when being played live. If I've programmed it from scratch, I know exactly how the sound is going to act and respond.

And yes, if I hear a sound I know generally if it's a Saw, Pulse, Square, Triangle, etc... They all have very distinct characteristics. They behave and sound a certain way when you distort them, Sync oscillators, put them through filters, and run them in parallel with one another. There's a particular pattern you hear when you put them slightly out of phase, detune them both slightly, and so on.

After a while, you start getting a feel for how a sound is created. And then take that a step further, and when you hear "This sound was made on a Taurus Bass synth" then I immediately have a reference for what that synth can do, and some of it's characteristics that can be applied to the sound. I'll check out tutorials online to hear what the filters sound like on that synth if I'm not familiar (Because while most Saw type oscillators will sound almost identical from one synth to another, it's the filter that gives it flavor and that's the part you want to try and emulate)

So sorry for the wall of text, but here's the basic process I follow to recreate a sound.

1 - I listen to the sound. If I can isolate the sound somehow, I do. I can get far more accurate results if I can get each sound independently from one another in the case of thick layers.

2 - I research the sound itself. What was it made on? How was it recorded? Are there existing patches already out there? Is it a default on some OTHER synth? Can I get a hold of that synth somehow, or are there demos of people playing it somewhere. (Again, this relates back to #1 in getting it "out of the mix".

3 - Once I've got that info, I start programming. I listen for ADSR, Pitch, Time, Effects, Timbre, and morph over time. (Movement I guess you might call it) and I make sure I get these as accurate as I possibly can.

This usually gets me almost all the way there.

4 - I stop playing, walk away from my keyboard and do something else for 15-20 minutes. It gives me time to clear my ears of any noise that I'm still getting stuck on or hearing.

5 - I start changing things. I'll take a saw and put in a detuned saw instead, and see what happens. I'll start tweaking parameters and see if it gets closer or further away from the original sound. I'll start tweaking the filters, and seeing if being brighter sounds more accurate.

6 - Once I think I have it close, I record it to my PC and then do an A/B comparison. This is **VITAL** to getting the sound accurate. The reason is: When you hear a sound that has been recorded, you're hearing it after mixing, mastering, compression, whatever the recording and mixing engineer has done to the sound already. When you hear it on a keyboard "live" so to speak, the sound is MUCH more raw sounding, and when you make a sound accurately, you need to make it a little more blunt or less subtle than it sounds in the recording. (Again, this goes back to #1)
If you can record it and it sounds identical to the recorded version, you're probably good. If it doesn't, you are either adding too much, too little, or something as simple as playing the wrong notes so it doesn't sound the same. (And this has bitten me in the butt several times. I've made sounds incorrectly because *I* was playing the wrong notes, so the sound I made was accurate when playing the wrong way)

When I make sounds quickly, I don't often do step 6 because I can predict where things will end up, and it's a big time-eater to do this process repeatedly. In the Crazy Diamond sound, there are aspects that I'm not happy with, but I think it's because of how I'm playing the song compared to how it was recorded in the studio. I might be mostly accurate with the sounds by themselves but playing live would require an extra keyboard/set of hands due to polyphony or lack of fingers.

Anyway, hopefully this helps in some way. Maybe if people are interested, I will record a video of my thought process and do a few example recreations on a few simple sounds so people can see what I actually DO behind a keyboard.

It's not magic, it's just knowing what sound will create what effect, and then experimenting. Smile

**Edit**

Forgot to mention: The other 1% of the time when I DO copy a sound, it's because it's identical to the sound I need, but might need some very slight tweaking.

Also, how do I decide when to choose AL-1 over MS-20 over Polysix, etc?

It depends on the sound. If it's a real hardcore analog sound, I'll tend to lean towards the MS-20 since the filters would require very little to get the sound correctly. Polysix is kind of a polyphony glutton so I'll use that for leads more than pads, and only if there's not much else being used in the background. AL-1 is really my go-to for very precise recreations, since it has such amazing and accurate control. STR-1 I don't really understand so that's a work in progress for me. I honestly rarely use HD-1, but will if I can't get the sound in AL-1. There's a LOT of waveforms in HD-1 that can be manipulated in a pretty similar way has the AL-1, so if the timbre just isn't quite right and filters aren't helping, that's when I fall back on the HD-1.
80salife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your rsponse and your time to write down your thoughts and ways...

In the past I tried so much to understand what a sound do... Attack, Release and Cutoff thats not so hard, but is there a LFO... over...

I cant decide if there is a saw square or what else, I know the grafics, but my hearing and my apprehensions are two different things Smile

A Video within your extraordinary knowledge would be wonderful...

Live:
Korg KRONOS, Triton Extreme 88, Korg Trinity V3, Roland Integra, Yamaha TG 500, Korg DS-8, CME UF 88, MOTU Timepiece II,
Studio:
Samson Resolve, Rhode NT1, Ultimate Stands, Korg Legacy Collection,KARMA KRONOS, Extreme Sample Converter, Native Kontakt Piano Collection, OPX Pro II,Native Instruments GuitarPlugs, Wave Gold
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80salife wrote:
Thank you for your rsponse and your time to write down your thoughts and ways...

In the past I tried so much to understand what a sound do... Attack, Release and Cutoff thats not so hard, but is there a LFO... over...

I cant decide if there is a saw square or what else, I know the grafics, but my hearing and my apprehensions are two different things Smile

A Video within your extraordinary knowledge would be wonderful...

Okay. The next sound I have to work on, I'll record a video describing my thought process and such, and walk through how I make the sound.
traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT WORK!
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, thanks.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
holdsg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to checking this out.
coyote144
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
keez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Smile

Here's mine. The entire intro is done using the Kronos, the Triton is used only as a controller.

It took me many months of tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cHu9FqJHM
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keez wrote:
Very nice Smile

Here's mine. The entire intro is done using the Kronos, the Triton is used only as a controller.

It took me many months of tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3cHu9FqJHM

How did you go about programming the "door creak" sound or was it a sample?
Hal2001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enigmahack sound creation sounds real good. The Keez music video performance entertains great. Kudos to both of you. Hal
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: