Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Useful SQ-1 Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Useful SQ-1 Information Reply with quote

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/heres-korgs-99-sq1-sequencer-can-cant/
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m a star Very Happy
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. I have an SQ-1, but it doesn't seem to have much range. I can't get it sequence very low notes. The article seems to imply it can have a 5 octave range though! hmm
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the lowest you can get?

I'm also interested in how long it will hold a note for and for example you could get it to sequence a 4 bar loop of one note per bar, that sort of thing....
Redmond Barry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it does have pretty good range depending on your synth I found after exploring further. For example, on the Minitaur I could transpose it (using a midi controller) down extremely low. On the MS-20 mini it can go down to the MS-20 mini's lowest note that you can get on the built in keyboard. You can adjust the duty cycle for note lengths. Honestly, it's an awesome little box. It doesn't do everything but it does plenty and it gets you in a creative space. The box itself has got some nice heft too. It's $99 well spent!
chris-korg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested (so far) the SQ1 on
- MS20mini (MIDI & CV/gate)
- Monotribe (MIDI & CV/gate)
- Volca Bass (Midi)

I do think the note-range (high & low) is sufficiant
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Useful SQ-1 Information Reply with quote

roblabs wrote:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/heres-korgs-99-sq1-sequencer-can-cant/

i have a question about this bit:

Quote:
5. Scales are limited to C Major and C minor; you can’t change root or transpose.

What if I just want to use the SQ-1 to sequence my MS-20 Mini via control voltage, and not MIDI? Is it still going to be stuck in the key of C?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Useful SQ-1 Information Reply with quote

GovernorSilver wrote:
What if I just want to use the SQ-1 to sequence my MS-20 Mini via control voltage, and not MIDI? Is it still going to be stuck in the key of C?

The MS-20 has a 5v "Total" input jack which you use with the SQ-1 instead of the CV IN. Using it allows you transpose the sequence using the MS-20's own keys, plus it also lets you apply a depth amount from the sequence to both of the filters using just one cable. You can get some really great acid style basslines using this way instead of the regular CV note input.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Useful SQ-1 Information Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

The MS-20 has a 5v "Total" input jack which you use with the SQ-1 instead of the CV IN. Using it allows you transpose the sequence using the MS-20's own keys, plus it also lets you apply a depth amount from the sequence to both of the filters using just one cable. You can get some really great acid style basslines using this way instead of the regular CV note input.

Ok, this sounds great. Thanks!

I also learned that to avoid being stuck in C minor or C major, just use linear or chromatic mode. Smile
Jamie Munro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad the information is still flowing in this thread -

great info and tips from the guys who have one
chris-korg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option on the MS20mini is to use the "Master tune knob" which gives you +/- 2 semitones (Cis-Dur, D-Dur, B-Dur, Bb-Dur in Major-mode) for both Osc

OR

you use the "Pitch knob" of MS20mini which gives you the full octave-range but only for OSC2.

You can then still use (if you prefer this) the Midi-connection SQ1-MS20mini....
judda_73

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: SQ-1 sync out question. Reply with quote

Hi there, first post for me. Great to be a part of the forum.
I'm using the SQ-1 sync out to trigger the arpeggiator in my Juno 6, which works fine, so that's really great.
With the sync out function, even though i can vary the tempo, I'm wondering if there is a way to turn certain pulses on and off, thereby mimicking the way the JU-6 arp could be sequenced from the sequencer of a drum machine?
Or are the pulses just continuous? ...Maybe it's possible after slaving the SQ-1 to Ableton via midi?
Any advice greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance!

Justin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: