Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distorted sounds kronos 2?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

Now I have updated my kronos to Kronos 2 software the samples sound distorted. Has anybody else had this problem Question
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

lotty1 wrote:
Now I have updated my kronos to Kronos 2 software the samples sound distorted. Has anybody else had this problem Question

Not here. Give more details
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
lotty1 wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to answer but been play my kronos and the new samples are amazing but

It would seem that it is mainly Brass and string instruments that are distorted at high frequency.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

lotty1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
lotty1 wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to answer but been play my kronos and the new samples are amazing but

It would seem that it is mainly Brass and string instruments that are distorted at high frequency.

thru headphones ? studio monitors ? amp/speaker ?

anyway, brass programs can respond with some distortion when I strike the pads aggressively ( nano pad) . same with keys. But thats not how I would play a breath type instrument.

my string programs ( Korg/Karo) sound very good. If you have any programs that jump out with distortion, give the program bank/number
lotty1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
lotty1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
lotty1 wrote:

thru headphones ? studio monitors ? amp/speaker ?

anyway, brass programs can respond with some distortion when I strike the pads aggressively ( nano pad) . same with keys. But thats not how I would play a breath type instrument.

my string programs ( Korg/Karo) sound very good. If you have any programs that jump out with distortion, give the program bank/number

Active Speakers
I will make a note of all the samples that are distorted
Thank you for taking an interest Greg
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distorted sounds kronos 2? Reply with quote

lotty1 wrote:

Yes I have the same problem. And not only me. Many , many of my friends and people all over the world has the same shame problem Sad
I already wrote here and always same answers:
01. DAW software ???
02. Speakers ??
03.Headphones ??
04.Internal Headroom (Global mode) ????

and only truth is

KRONOS has big problem with DISTORTED sounds
Whether it is SSD streaming, Buffer, OS 3.02 ….. but Korg definitely don’t want to acknowledge that

Such a shame
Pedja
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. But it's not in relation with all programs and combies. I wrote about that, and put a link for download in dropbox (4. months ago), it was a two programs one with distorted drum sound, second with distorted el. piano sound. But some members of this forum, have made a jokes with me, about that. My opinion is, that with OS 3.02 situation become little better with distortion, but I still hear it in some drums sounds and some other type of sounds and combies (specially in high tones). It is really end time for Korg, to solve this problem. I have to say, that a love very much this instrument, and because of that, I wrote this. This instrument deserves to be excellent.
My music: https://soundcloud.com/pedjak-1
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2017/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
http://moca.virtual.museum/dablog/dablog02.htm
http://moca.virtual.museum/autogallery2019/autogallery_kalajdzijevic/
https://www.saatchiart.com/PedjaK

Last edited by Pedja on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this unusual personally in my findings... I've had no distortion issues whatsoever with any samples I've loaded. I have noticed that some instruments are at slightly higher volumes when in Combi mode, but if I turn the overall volume down to my DAW, the clipping stops. That is simply high-output to me, not clipping within the samples themselves.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmahack wrote:
I find this unusual personally in my findings... I've had no distortion issues whatsoever with any samples I've loaded. I have noticed that some instruments are at slightly higher volumes when in Combi mode, but if I turn the overall volume down to my DAW, the clipping stops. That is simply high-output to me, not clipping within the samples themselves.

this is true for me

for example, all the drums are topped out at 127, it seems. then basses are somewhat close behind. Thus I am constantly bringing down their volume levels. I understand that some really like loud drums but its not my preference
Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The problem is the programs are simply too loud. If you simply lower their level, the "problem" will disappear.

So -

1. Turn the program levels down, either by lowering the output of whatever insert effects you are using to boost them, or the master program level.

2. Turn your LISTENING volume up. If your Kronos is run through a small mixer, then turn the speaker volumes up. Also try turning the trims in your mixer channels down because you're probably clipping the inputs.

If your other programs are louder than the ones that you have now "turned down", then turn the levels of those programs down to match.
And again, then turn your listening level up.

The fact is that samples themselves cannot "distort". Only the programs that USE those samples can distort. And it is really easy to
get things to clip if you don't really know how to edit or construct your programs.
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
enigmahack wrote:

this is true for me

for example, all the drums are topped out at 127, it seems. then basses are somewhat close behind. Thus I am constantly bringing down their volume levels. I understand that some really like loud drums but its not my preference

GregC,

Thank you for ignoring my post Angel
I am sure nobody has answer for this (not only mine) problem.
I have problem with Piano samples, not drums.
I've wrote about it already in past topics
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davd C. Polich wrote:
I agree. The problem is the programs are simply too loud. If you simply lower their level, the "problem" will disappear.

So -

1. Turn the program levels down, either by lowering the output of whatever insert effects you are using to boost them, or the master program level.

2. Turn your LISTENING volume up. If your Kronos is run through a small mixer, then turn the speaker volumes up. Also try turning the trims in your mixer channels down because you're probably clipping the inputs.

If your other programs are louder than the ones that you have now "turned down", then turn the levels of those programs down to match.

The fact is that samples themselves cannot "distort". Only the programs that USE those samples can distort. And it is really easy to
get things to clip if you don't really know how to edit or construct your programs.

"The fact is that samples themselves cannot "distort". Only the programs that USE those samples can distort. And it is really easy to
get things to clip if you don't really know how to edit or construct your programs."

David ,

I really appreciate your work and know who you are, and thank you for helping us with professional answers but ,
attempts to isolate and only just

EXs6 00007: Piano 1.de Main8 sample

and play chromatic and you will hear what I'm talking about
This already has nothing to do with the program and parameters. The problem is the distortion of the raw multisample sound when a key cross velocity 114
Then, the distortion of the sound emitted German grand piano

I turned the headphones directly into Kronos.
I turn off all the Insert FX, all
I turn off all the Master / Total Effects
Prog EQ is 0 and bypassed
Main Volume is 40%

All of this was heard mostly at SGX-1 Premium Piano and EP-1 MDS Electric Piano
I have not checked the other synthesis so much but this is enough
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="miljantoto"]
GregC wrote:
enigmahack wrote:
I find this unusual personally in my findings... I've had no distortion issues whatsoever with any samples I've loaded.

GregC,

Thank you for ignoring my post Angel
I am sure nobody has answer for this (not only mine) problem.
I have problem with Piano samples, not drums.
I've wrote about it already in past topics

So sorry Smile it looked like you went way off topic with your # list of other things.
Maybe there is a language barrier.

Thus, there is no fairness Smile
Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:
Davd C. Polich wrote:

So -

"The fact is that samples themselves cannot "distort". Only the programs that USE those samples can distort. And it is really easy to
get things to clip if you don't really know how to edit or construct your programs."

David ,

I really appreciate your work and know who you are, and thank you for helping us with professional answers but ,
attempts to isolate and only just

EXs6 00007: Piano 1.de Main8 sample

and play chromatic and you will hear what I'm talking about
This already has nothing to do with the program and parameters. The problem is the distortion of the raw multisample sound when a key cross velocity 114
Then, the distortion of the sound emitted German grand piano

I turned the headphones directly into Kronos.
I turn off all the Insert FX, all
I turn off all the Master / Total Effects
Prog EQ is 0 and bypassed
Main Volume is 40%

All of this was heard mostly at SGX-1 Premium Piano and EP-1 MDS Electric Piano
I have not checked the other synthesis so much but this is enough

Sorry, I did as you suggested - not really hearing any distortion. If
anything, it sounds like a multisample crossfade phase cancellation.
That would explain it.

It's not enough to make a difference at a gig, or in a recording mix.

Are you aware that real acoustic pianos exhibit distortion when you play hard? It's natural behavior. A combination of increased inharmonicity and chaotic frequency fluctuations. If you pound a piano as hard as you can you will definitely hear it. In fact all acoustic instruments exhibit some distortion when struck, bowed, or blown hard.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:
play chromatic and you will hear what I'm talking about

Can you post a recording of what you're talking about? Since it's such a big issue for you, I mean, that would be the easiest way to get a clear answer on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: