Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Kronos!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I edited my post adding DNC as a suggestion. This would make it much easier to do true legato instruments and all kinds of other things. PA-series (and SV-1) can have up to 24 oscillators, that's excellent.

Basically it'd cover what Motif's 8-layer programs can do, and much more.
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Yep, I edited my post adding DNC as a suggestion. This would make it much easier to do true legato instruments and all kinds of other things. PA-series (and SV-1) can have up to 24 oscillators, that's excellent.

Basically it'd cover what Motif's 8-layer programs can do, and much more.

You have my vote!

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: When this makes sense? Reply with quote

I got the original K61 because I was concerned about the original weighted keyed. Also had to get a PX-5S to use as a controller. If this new Kronos has no keyed issues I will get an 88 and go back to a one keyboard rig - to me that makes sense. But other than that, I don't see how the difference is worth it.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
ryokorgjapan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:

I've seen this posted before, but as a user I question the huge need. I rarely bump into the 2GB RAM limit. The only time I do is when I'm bringing in a large instrument and I need to work with it in RAM prior to saving it and then using it in a virtual disk mode. Often those 2GB RAM instruments require 50-75KB RAM when used virtually. At one point I loaded my Korg pianos plus all the software pianos I have converted (8 - 12 velocity layers, each note sampled full duration). I got 21 pianos in memory. From a practical standpoint, the current RAM is not a limitation to me and the tens of GB of instruments I can load is still lightyears beyond the other manufacturers.

Busch.

I have EXs11, 12, 16 and some programs such as PCreek D6 and Mark V from Kronos blog (thanks).
With Factory V2 and those programs almost full RAM..
I even don't have space for coming Berlin D.
Could you please tell us more specify how you manage banks and RAM space??
slowtrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: When this makes sense? Reply with quote

JPROBERTLA wrote:
I got the original K61 because I was concerned about the original weighted keyed. Also had to get a PX-5S to use as a controller. If this new Kronos has no keyed issues I will get an 88 and go back to a one keyboard rig - to me that makes sense. But other than that, I don't see how the difference is worth it.

I think they fixed the keybed issues already. Check the sticky at the top of this forum for the thread.
JohnDonovan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Bringing old set lists onto OS3? Reply with quote

With the new features being added (particularly in set list mode) I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to retain programs/combis/set lists created prior to OS3. I have a lot of custom setups I've created for gigs and wouldn't want to start setting up my set lists from scratch.
genehart

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing old set lists onto OS3? Reply with quote

JohnDonovan wrote:
With the new features being added (particularly in set list mode) I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to retain programs/combis/set lists created prior to OS3. I have a lot of custom setups I've created for gigs and wouldn't want to start setting up my set lists from scratch.

I think this should be ok , I often back up my custom presets with "Save all" function in disk mode .However, to keep everything in it's places after installing the new OSv3 preloadv3.pcg some pre-import management might be required before update, like saving all your presets to same empty banks/slots (like USER-GG) both in updated and previous preload.pcg
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bringing old set lists onto OS3? Reply with quote

JohnDonovan wrote:

So far Korg always made PCG info backwards compatible, so the conversion probably will be done automatically. However, to be sure, do what genehart writes (do a saveall before the upgrade).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synthee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Kronos but the two things that made me sell my Kronos 88 was the noise from the fan and the long upstart time.
If those two are corrected in the new Kronos I will buy one.

The upstart time seems to be the same, according to the released video were the speaker voice say: "The upstart time is one and a half minute, just like a computer"
When had computers an upstart time for 1,5 minute? 1981?

The noise from the fan I still don't know if its taken care of on Kronos 2?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
I love Kronos but the two things that made me sell my Kronos 88 was the noise from the fan and the long upstart time.

The upstart time seems to be the same, according to the released video were the speaker voice say: "The upstart time is one and a half minute, just like a computer"

oh c'mon. Maybe you are not up to date

Owners have been installing higher quality and more quiet fans for years.
And on the other hand, a slight fan hum does not bother many ( thousands of owners).

You must know this. Kronos has 9 synth engines and gigabit pianos to load.
Tons of data. your DAW would take at least that long of it loaded a similar data load.

comparing that to 1981 is a red herring

True, it appears the processor/spec may not have changed. but if you can find a more perfect keyboard workstation, let us know.
Synthee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Synthee wrote:

And on the other hand, a slight fan hum does not bother many ( thousands of owners).

Tons of data. your DAW would take at least that long of it loaded a similar data load.

True, it appears the processor/spec may not have changed. but if you can find a more perfect keyboard workstation, let us know.

Yes I know, I switched the fan myself to a more quiet one, but even with that one I couldn't stand hearing that hissing noise from the fan all the time when I was sitting down to make music.
Maybe Im more sensitive than thousand of other people? Wink

I had to go for Yamaha MOXF8 instead. Not as many good sounds as Kronos, but silent, quick startup and better DAW integration with Cubase.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are more sensitive to the fan noise than others. It's a shame that the owners had to do their own mod. Also it's processor is very outdated and underpowered. I love my Kronos X but it is a PITA to wait for it to start up. Korg could have beefed up the processor but they chose not to. Same old hardware with slight software updates and cosmetic treatment. I like my Kronos very much but I do not have the same level of reliability feeling that I do with My Motif XS and Roland G8.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthee wrote:
GregC wrote:
Synthee wrote:

Yes I know, I switched the fan myself to a more quiet one, but even with that one I couldn't stand hearing that hissing noise from the fan all the time when I was sitting down to make music.
Maybe Im more sensitive than thousand of other people? Wink

without a doubt, there is plenty of variation with being distracted or certain noise. Some keyboardists want no noise because the type of fan noise is unwelcome when playing. It can be an unwelcome distraction.

For others, or just me , once I start jamming, my music noise drowns out all ambient noise and I sink into the enjoyment of playing the Kronos.

my wife has the most sensitive/best ears and does not even notice the Kronos fan noise. I have a very live room- wood floors, nothing to absorb sound acoustically.

If the Mox makes you happy, thats cool. I doubt that V3 will solve your requirements, from what I read
Corgy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
For others, or just me , once I start jamming, my music noise drowns out all ambient noise and I sink into the enjoyment of playing the Kronos.

Same here ... but maybe that I only raise the volume of my speakers to higher gains than others do ... Wink
slowtrain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new case seems to have more ventilation, and I thought someone recently posted a SSD that doesn't need a fan. Maybe the new one is quieter. I don't hear my fan either, and I haven't replaced it with a quieter one. As for the boot time, it makes no difference to me. It seems like a live gig with no UPS would be the only time it would matter. I can't imagine changing keyboards for such minor issues.

However, I don't use Cubase. I browsed it the other day, and they specifically mentioned Yamaha integration, but didn't mention any other manufacturers. I guess that could make a big difference if you're already invested in Cubase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: