Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New Kronos!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been lurking on this thread since it started, I have to wonder a couple of things. Is it really cheaper than the Kronos X?
And, do I really need one? I have the 73 key first version and I'm not even capable of understanding 10% of it's capabilities.
I have yet to experiment with Mod-7. I wish there was a GUI that had knobs or something so that I could more easily create/tweak sounds.

If I remember correctly, there was a thread here about a company, possibly from Germany that made retrofit wooden end caps for the Kronos.

And...... Yes I want one but that's just my G.A.S. acting up again! Wink
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
slowtrain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's worth upgrading to a new synth considering everything that's going to be available for the Kronos and the X, but it depends on one's own preferences I suppose. The new one is very nice.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:
But after thinking about for a while I have to wonder what exactly would that be?

Good question, I have some ideas. Smile

* 64-bit OS supporting more than 3.25 GB of RAM, with 4 or 8 GB preinstalled

I've seen this posted before, but as a user I question the huge need. I rarely bump into the 2GB RAM limit. The only time I do is when I'm bringing in a large instrument and I need to work with it in RAM prior to saving it and then using it in a virtual disk mode. Often those 2GB RAM instruments require 50-75KB RAM when used virtually. At one point I loaded my Korg pianos plus all the software pianos I have converted (8 - 12 velocity layers, each note sampled full duration). I got 21 pianos in memory. From a practical standpoint, the current RAM is not a limitation to me and the tens of GB of instruments I can load is still lightyears beyond the other manufacturers.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Corgy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

* Actually some new engines (wind/brass modeling to compliment STR-1, Mono/Poly, something for granular and additive synthesis would be nice too)

At least this could be done by software only. I missed wind/brass modeling so much that I bought an Yamaha VL70-m Wink

But what I would like to see (beside the Mod-7) is a digital synth that allows to exploit digital oscillators, filters, or effects like some of my software plug-ins do.

What about Formant-, or something like Granular- Synthesis or Effects?
KJandKT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question might have gotten overlooked in all of this post but does anyone know if there have been any significant upgrades to the midi sequencer (piano roll, etc.) and ease of moving around and editing recorded parts in the audio sequencer? I was hoping to buy one of these to use as an all-in-one studio instead of having to get an upgraded computer, audio interface, program, etc....really don't want to keep up with that anymore and like simplicity. Before this new version came out people were saying that the sequencer wasn't easy enough to do everything in sans computer. Currently I have protools 7.4 with 002r and an powermac (non-intel)...convertors aren't top notch and again I'd like simplicity. What do you guys think? Any better with this version?

Thanks and God bless!
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there new Programs and Combi's or are they the same as on OASYS and Kronos 1 & X ?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
64-bit OS supporting more than 3.25 GB of RAM, with 4 or 8 GB preinstalled

will a 64 bit OS really bring anything earth shattering to the table. I work with embedded systems where 16 bit is acceptable. You can squeeze a lot into a 32 bit address space. Its a music workstation, not a SQL server.

Quote:
Short boot time (<30 sec) instead of over 2 minutes - needs newer Intel SOC boards that can support faster transfer rates over the data bus, current SSDs used in Kronos are plenty fast to boot and load everything up in seconds, but the bus speed seems to limit this so it ends up being over 2 minutes sadly

That will require an optimized boot loader ... I'm in for that

Quote:
Piano roll from M3 in the sequencer

I have an M3 and never use the piano roll. Some want it, some don't.

Quote:
Actually some new engines (wind/brass modeling to compliment STR-1, Mono/Poly, something for granular and additive synthesis would be nice too)

New engines!!! ... But what? I would love to see an additive engine. And yeah, CX3 is technically additive but no.

Quote:
Even more effects (so that all effects from Prog mode can be retained in Combi/Seq)

Yes!

Quote:
Endless rotaries with LED rings instead of knobs, return of LED ladders from OASYS

That would be a nice hardware upgrade. It shouldn't impact software compatability.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Are there new Programs and Combi's or are they the same as on OASYS and Kronos 1 & X ?

Program Banks I-A and I-B are all new. The rest of the Internal Program banks are EXi, which switches it up from the OASYS/K1. The older HD-1 sounds have been moved to the User Banks. This makes sense. When people are demoing the Kronos in the store, they often just start at the beginning and work their way through the banks. The old OASYS HD-1 banks are fine, but probably shouldn't be showcased up front.

There are some new combis. Karma Labs has a few in there. Combis still take up just four banks.

http://www.korg.com/download/global/kronos2/KRONOS_VNL_EFGSJ3.pdf

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:

Program Banks I-A and I-B are all new. The rest of the Internal Program banks are EXi, which switches it up from the OASYS/K1. The older HD-1 sounds have been moved to the User Banks. This makes sense. When people are demoing the Kronos in the store, they often just start at the beginning and work their way through the banks. The old OASYS HD-1 banks are fine, but probably shouldn't be showcased up front.

There are some new combis. Karma Labs has a few in there. Combis still take up just four banks.

http://www.korg.com/download/global/kronos2/KRONOS_VNL_EFGSJ3.pdf

Busch.

Hi Busch, Are any of the programs from your Famous Synths 1&2 identical to the ones in the K2 I-A?

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Looks like some of Stephen Kay's Karma-Lab programming has been added to some of the combinations. Very Cool. Very Happy

Good eyes. Smile

Yes, two combis from each of Karma-Lab's three KARMA-fied sound sets (Catalyst 1, Reincarnated, and the yet unreleased but coming soon Catalyst 2 - six in total) have been included in the OS 3.0 Combis. I will have more info on this later, including the downloadable detailed Performance Notes documents we always provide with our combis. To give credit where it's due, the combis are my work together with Jim (EJ2) Sawyer and Scott Raposa.

burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narf wrote:
Hi Busch, Are any of the programs from your Famous Synths 1&2 identical to the ones in the K2 I-A?

I'll have to get back to you on that one. Very Happy

Busch.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resistance is futile.

Busch.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
drama1 wrote:
Looks like some of Stephen Kay's Karma-Lab programming has been added to some of the combinations. Very Cool. Very Happy

Good eyes. Smile

Yes, two combis from each of Karma-Lab's three KARMA-fied sound sets (Catalyst 1, Reincarnated, and the yet unreleased but coming soon Catalyst 2 - six in total) have been included in the OS 3.0 Combis. I will have more info on this later, including the downloadable detailed Performance Notes documents we always provide with our combis. To give credit where it's due, the combis are my work together with Jim (EJ2) Sawyer and Scott Raposa.

Great to see new karma-lab sounds. But why not karma 3.0. Any hopes for that in the kronos future? Now that could be a game changer.
Corgy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
drama1 wrote:

Good eyes. Smile

Next Catalyst upcoming? Great - before X-Mas - please Razz
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:
But after thinking about for a while I have to wonder what exactly would that be?

Good question, I have some ideas. Smile

* 64-bit OS supporting more than 3.25 GB of RAM, with 4 or 8 GB preinstalled
* Short boot time (<30 sec) instead of over 2 minutes - needs newer Intel SOC boards that can support faster transfer rates over the data bus, current SSDs used in Kronos are plenty fast to boot and load everything up in seconds, but the bus speed seems to limit this so it ends up being over 2 minutes sadly
* Piano roll from M3 in the sequencer
* Actually some new engines (wind/brass modeling to compliment STR-1, Mono/Poly, something for granular and additive synthesis would be nice too)
* Even more effects (so that all effects from Prog mode can be retained in Combi/Seq)
* Endless rotaries with LED rings instead of knobs, return of LED ladders from OASYS

+DNC added to the HD engine.
However, a 64-bit workstation with a re-designed sequencer, 12 engines onboard and who-knows-what-else will probably be given a different name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: