Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS REPLACEMENT TOUCH SCREEN UNAVAILABLE?????!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its better to calmly obtain the pertinent facts before lashing out.

I mean no offense to you but this is exactly what is wrong with this country today. People seem to think that they need to kiss a vendors behind to get what is rightly theirs. When you spend high dollars for a niche product, then it should show itself to be better than the average run-of-the-mill counterpart. If it does not work in an exemplary manner, then; yes, you should raise hell. You bought the best and it should be the best.

It seems everyone today just lets companies tell them what and when they will take care of a problem that they were aware of all along. ie: General Motors. It is time to raise hell. It is your money. Don't give it up so easily, and if you do; make sure you get what you paid for.
kshacklett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. So instead of being able to order the part with one phone call last Wednesday for $53 plus a few bucks shipping, I get to make 20 phone calls, post on the Kronos forum, and I'm still waiting for the call from Korg I was supposed to get yesterday, after being referred back to the same office with a different phone number by one of Korg"s "authorized" parts distributors for a part number, which could not be ascertained by the parts distributor themselves. And who knows what it will end up costing..if and when I ever actually get the part.. Now there's some real service for ya! Just think how much more human contact this new policy has generated. I've made all kinds of new friends.

Wouldn't it be nice if all businesses operated the same way... Just think if we all had to contact "authorized service centers" every time we needed a car part...since cars are not "user serviceable"...whether you know how to service them or not.

Way to go, Korg...we need more monopolies in the world!

All the same, I appreciate any and all effort by Dan and others to clarify this situation.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
Quote:
The Kronos is not user-servicable; if repairs are needed, contact an authorized service center. Your national Korg Distributor can help you to find an authorized service center

Quite true. As long as my warranty is valid this is the course I would take. it will expire shortly and at that time I would take the responsibility of maintaining the keyboard. Apparently Korg does sell parts to customers if they request. That is what I made of the You Tube video. I think that is a good thing. Why should I have to pay a highly inflated price of a Service Center for a simple repair that I could do myself. I am not talking about the display problem the gentleman is referring to in this thread. I realize that might be a time to take the hit and have it repaired. However, A Service Center is only a repair shop that has given the necessary credentials to a company to be provided this business. I have sent merchandise to Service Centers and, at times, was less than happy.

I have fixed keyboards that Guitar Center gave me for pennies because their so called service centers said they could not be repaired. The most you are going to get from Service Centers, in general, is parts replacement. They usually do not do circuit board component repairs. There are exceptions, of course.

I believe that as long as your keyboard is under warranty, follow the rules and let the Service Center handle and problems. After warranty, if you have the skill, then parts should be sold to the customer so they can make any repairs they feel are necessary. Not selling parts to a customer because they are not a Service Center is ridiculous. Since when does a company not want to make money.

I know I had no problem obtaining OS chip upgrades from Yamaha for my EX5. They did it for me 3 times and never charged me a dime. Now, that is customer service.

Those old Os chips likely do not have any proprietary value to Yamaha.

The Korg LCD screen very likely has Intellectual Property rights( or a patent). I have not seen any music electronics ( Roland, etc) co have anything close to the Korg LCD.

Thus an expectation that ' all parts " like this should always be available after production could lead to unnecessary frustration. All electronics cos protect and control their IP rights.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those old Os chips likely do not have any proprietary value to Yamaha.

Of course they did. The chips updated the Operating System. They could only be used in the EX5 keyboard or module. They could have charged me. They chose not to. I think that showed a level of customer service that Korg doesn't. Touchscreens are not all the exotic. They are becoming very common now. Why would you protect a part because you consider it proprietary and not sell it. That doesn't make good business sense. I doubt it is that special. Korg is not going to reinvent the wheel when so many already exist. They will use what is most economical and gives them the functions that are required.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
Wonderful. So instead of being able to order the part with one phone call last Wednesday for $53 plus a few bucks shipping, I get to make 20 phone calls, post on the Kronos forum, and I'm still waiting for the call from Korg I was supposed to get yesterday, after being referred back to the same office with a different phone number by one of Korg"s "authorized" parts distributors for a part number, which could not be ascertained by the parts distributor themselves. And who knows what it will end up costing..if and when I ever actually get the part.. Now there's some real service for ya! Just think how much more human contact this new policy has generated. I've made all kinds of new friends.

Wouldn't it be nice if all businesses operated the same way... Just think if we all had to contact "authorized service centers" every time we needed a car part...since cars are not "user serviceable"...whether you know how to service them or not.

Way to go, Korg...we need more monopolies in the world!

There have been various discussions on this forum about Korg's requirements for the use of authorized service centers. Korg's stance on this is quite common in the industry, and is stated clearly in the beginning of the Quick Start manual: "Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel." This is the only issue here; there is no concern about IP related to the touch-screen, for instance.

There is no monopoly; in the USA, for instance, authorized service centers are independently owned and operated, and Korg does not profit from them.

kshacklett wrote:
All the same, I appreciate any and all effort by Dan and others to clarify this situation.

Thank you. I hope that the knowledge that the part is available, and that service is possible, resolves your concerns.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
kshacklett

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "service manager" at Korg USA, not having big enough balls to call me and explain the situation, has relayed the message that the manufacturer no longer supplies this crucial replacement part.

This is an utter outrage and totally intolerable. I hope that the moderators at this website have enough integrity to advise the Korgs customers of this situation.

For what it amounts to, I'm initiating a boycott of Korg. I will immediately advise the thousands of people who follow me on youtube and facebook to spread the word. I will advise all the bands, including Spock's Beard and others, along with the audience, at the progfest in Chicago that I will be playing this month. My friend, Patrick Moraz, will hear of this today. And I'm sure I will figure out some way to embarrass Korg at the next NAMM show. I think I can probably manage to distribute a few thousand flyers before they kick me out.

Hear that, Korg? So Korg"s biggest distributor, Korg USA, has no control over this? Well, I'd say they had better get some control.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a FYI, while Dan participates here occasionally, this forum is not actually owned by Korg. Sharp is owner and founder. When his ISP complained about the high traffic Korg USA kindly offered to provide hosting but that's as far as the relationship goes. This is not an official channel of communication with them, it's a gathering place for Korg enthusiasts. I hope you get your Kronos fixed. I hope your boycot is a fluke though.
BSV73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to speculate even further but doesn't this confirm that the kronos is being discontinued?
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've confirmed that these parts are available to authorized Korg service centers.

I have heard that you may now be in contact with an authorized service center, so hopefully that will straighten things out and you'll be up and running again soon.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
kshacklett

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaving no stone unturned here. I've contacted Korg USA directly, and both their US parts distributors that they list on their website, but I haven't actually tried a service center outside of Korg USA. I highly doubt that it will do any good, but I will wait until I contact a couple service centers before I embark on my campaign to punish Korg for this apparent outrage.

In my 45 years as a pro I have owned somewhere around 50 keyboards and modules, along with a lot of other music and recording gear. This is by far the most egregious failure by a manufacturer to support their product I've ever heard of. The only encounter I've had that even comes close is Tascam making the unusual power supply for their MM1 keyboard mixer unavailable long after it was out of production. Mine is still collecting dust in my studio.

There is absolutely no excuse for this dismal situation. It is a monumental display of either an unethical business practice or gross incompetence of management.

If Korg does not rectify this situation it is an absolute certainty that they will NEVER hear the end of it. I guarantee that the internet will be the great equalizer.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that you are going through this nightmare. I would be very frustrated if I was in your situation. You are correct, it is an outrage. These companies are no longer interested in customer support. They are interested in selling product and that's all. If I were you I would try and find a contact point for someone in authority at the corporate level. Don't deal with people that cannot help you or direct you to others. Find someone that finds the fact that he has to handle the problem an irritant. You will see how fast it gets resolved if you can get to the right person. Think big not little.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is no monopoly; in the USA, for instance, authorized service centers are independently owned and operated, and Korg does not profit from them.

If that is true then I would think the CFO at Korg should have his hands slapped for missing an opportunity to make money by selling parts directly to the customer.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole story really seems to confirm that the present Kronos hardware is discontinued.

Nevertheless I'm sure they will not leave the Kronos OS, even if they modify it for new hardware. It has cost too much development and is much too good and successful to be left behind, including access to a big array of sound libraries available meanwhile.

Replacing the screen without having to run around like a lost sheep is a must, and the trouble the OP got into just is a shame, no matter if and how the issue is resolved.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you. I love Korg products and have owned just about every keyboard they have made, especially the big ones. My gripe is like you say; this poor guy shouldn't have to go through such a convoluted procedure just to get this keyboard running again.

I hope he can get it fixed soon.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS REPLACEMENT TOUCH SCREEN UNAVAILABLE?????!!!!! Reply with quote

kshacklett wrote:
Please...before I unload..someone tell me it's not true. Please tell me that my $3,000 keyboard is not now WORTHLESS because of an unethical or down right stupid decision by SOMEONE at Korg not to make an indispensable, easily breakable replacement part available for their current flagship keyboard.

Oh this is old news.
Exactly the same thing happened with the Oasys.
Many an Oasys user was p***ed off, but what can you do?
Its just how it is.

But funny how history repeats itself.
At least you guys paid cheap money for what Oasys users paid for their keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: