Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

assignable sliders and switches on Korg Pa1X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: assignable sliders and switches on Korg Pa1X Reply with quote

Can anyone break down a comprehensive list of what the assignable sliders and switches can be used for on the Korg PA1X . I am already familiar with using them as volume sliders and drawbars when playing organ or in style mode live

However I suspect there is a whole world of creativity that I have not touched simply for lack of understanding.

can they be used in the 3 modes and what are he limitations and can you provide any practical examples of when he assignable switches/sliders might be used

in
1. Sound mode
2. Style mode
3. Sequencer mode

in particular can they be used in real time in the sequencer ?

thanks

Worth
centauramp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Assignable sliders Reply with quote

Hi Worth I'm still using the PA1XP Pro Elite, still an amazing keyboard. In reference to the assignable sliders, they work in the style, song and sequencer modes. If you just watch the blue lights the 2 left top of the sliders and the 2 on the bottom left there are 2 rows of titles for the top row and 2 for the bottom. when in sequencer mode they act as volume controls for each track. You would use the track select button to switch between tracks 1-8 or 7-16. You can of coarse adjust the volumes of the track on the touch screen but it is easier to use the sliders. I did learn something in researching this, in style or song mode you can set the sliders to control the cutoff frequency and the resonance. On mine assignable A sliders 2 & 3 are already set for cutoff & resonance, I would use this cutoff to control the tone of things like pianos, brass or even strings while playing. You can make these adjustments thru track controls easy edit but then you have to save them and you don't wont them permanent, you want them on the fly live. I will use now, so thanks for bringing it up. In my example this controls the tone of the uppers only, there is no setting for lowers. Happy Playing Bob S.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing up this topic, Worth. Like yourself, I've never much delved into these alternate uses of the sliders. I mainly use them for on-the-fly small adjustments in the accompaniment area.

And thanks, centauramp, for your tips. Hope more folks will add to the subject.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic stuff!. Let's see what other gems we can find in this old workhorse. I have to tell you it's been a 10 year love affair so far. And I know we haven't really delved into 60% of the keyboard capabilities yet.

But I really feel like I am ready to explore now .
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again . In the sequencer mode I can see that the assignable sliders can control a number of things but I was wondering if they can also be assigned to things like the effects on each track or control parameters of sounds live in the sequencer in real time . I can see that the sliders can control cc data but I don't know what they all mean . Can anyone help me ? Cheers
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again . In the sequencer mode I can see that the assignable sliders can control a number of things but I was wondering if they can also be assigned to things like the effects on each track or control parameters of sounds live in the sequencer in real time . I can see that the sliders can control cc data but I don't know what they all mean . Can anyone help me ? Cheers
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found on page 384 of the manual a List of Assignable Switches functions

some of them I can work out what they do but what does the following do

1. FX CC12 Switch Standard FX controllers FX CC13 and FX CC12 and CC13 Ctl do ?

2. there are more assignable functions on page 383 for the assignable slider. Again I can work out what most of them but not really sure of the musical application for some of them.

I am also really late to the party concerning Midi and so the information on midi data on page 387 could do with a laymans explanation of how this information can be used in a practical ways when either playing live or recording.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reuben or Wittid , can either of you asist with my queries on this thread ?

cheers

Worth
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Worth, Giner and centauramp,
Glad you are still loving the Pa1x.
My trusty Pa1x has actually come back home for a while (after giving it to my son, he has since bought a Kawai MP7 which has some really nice piano sounds but the Korg still kills it on the rest) and I've got to say I'm still impressed with the old beast.
I never really got around to experimenting much with the Assignable Sliders however I just had a little fiddle with them and i reckon the best use would be for Upper VDF Cutoff (to change the brightness of the sound on the fly).
Other possible handy uses would be to control Mic In Volume and Harmony levels B,C & D.
I still like the (modified) piano on the Pa1x nearly as much as the Pa3x but I have now loaded a really nice Steinway on my 3x which is really nice to play. If I can find a way to load it onto the 1x I'll let you know.
Here is a short mp3 comparing the Pa3x Grand Piano RX to the Steinway with the Korg factory standard Grand RX first followed by the Steinway.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_6p-MMrzwLeW5CSzRWdzdQTGs/edit?usp=sharing
Best regards,
John
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes John . great to hear from you. I am still wringing as much juice as I can from My PA1X !

thanks for your assisatnce so far. I am really trying to explore the workstation features of his marvelous instrument . I am particularly keen on trying to maximise the use of effects whilst sequencing.

Do you have any tips ?
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John it's Worth here. I must've missed this post. Thank you for the link to the pianos that you have discovered/developed. The new steinway that you're using in the example above sounds really nice. i use the X MS Golden entertainer expansion board. The pianos on that are excellent and I am perfectly satisfied with them at this point . Mr Dee did an amazing job with just the 32mb available and is a major reason I did not go for the 2x or 3x .

What I'm looking for now is to explore the depths of my keyboard. Especially in terms of using it as a workstation. Have you been able to discover tips using the assignable functions that can be assigned to the sliders in a musical creative way ? Or any other tricks and tips that have not been well publicised in terms of the PA keyboards for workstation purposes ? Cheers and all the best. Worth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: