Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assignable Switch and Q-Tone [SOLVED]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillyHank,
You did good and exactly this is what I wanted to achieve with Pa900.
So that brings me more to conclude that it's probably a bug.
Thank you for trying.

Snorkum,
Quote:
Is there and erea where certain issues could addressed for Korg to correct in their next update?

I asked the same question as you here in one of my previous reply.
Now we are two members who have discovered this problem with Korg Pa900. I keep an eye if I find a way to inform Korg about this issue and please let me know if you find any way to report officially this problem to Korg.
Thanks you
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
when I restart the keyboard the Assignable button to Q-Tone turns back to OFF position.

Assignable buttons in PaSeries have only momentary action and they always reset their state to off when changing STS.
The right way to retain a scale of a specific STS without pressing any controller is to define custom scale tuning via Sub-Scale
mode and save it in particular STS properties you need it.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antony,

I guess my keyboard OS is broken then, because after I set it, it did not change when I changed STS, Styles, Song Book or performances or when I turned the keyboard off and then back on. Today I had to go in and manually change it back just as I had set it previously.

Now all 3 assign switches were locked to the same settings throughout, so it acted like a freeze setting - true the Switch acted as a momentary ON, but it stayed active as long as you kept it depressed and you could set or select one of the 4 presets found there.

This is not a feature I have ever used to date (talking about the Quarter Tone here), so could be all I have done is enable the 3 switch to act same as the button at top of Sub Scale panel. Question Question
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not talking for the same thing !!!
I think that his actual problem is to keep switch permanently On when he selects the specific STS , which can't be done in any PaSeries !
I was programming Pa900 for 3 months for my commercial resources and I know for sure that assignable information , if saved ,
will never change unless he has locked the entire STS as you do with no assignable info in 1st Perf/1st STS.
I'm against those locking methods for the simple reason that I need the individual features of every STS in every style !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony,

I totally agree with what you are saying here and I could not see why you would ever want this setting as it is very easy to access the panel from the main display and as you say, it would be far more advantaged to use only where needed and saved with the individual STS.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman,
Quote:
Assignable buttons in PaSeries have only momentary action and they always reset their state to off when changing STS.
The right way to retain a scale of a specific STS without pressing any controller is to define custom scale tuning via Sub-Scale
mode and save it in particular STS properties you need it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I know this option and it could be very convenient if we play regularly the same songs with the same singer.
Since the complexity of some middle eastern music regarding scales, and besides that I play with different singers with their different scales (could be any scale from A to G with 1 to 3 quarter tones simultaneously in one scale) I prefer to have any sound in their natural temperament and set the quarter tone in live while performing.

Quote:

Do you mean all Pa series. I used the Pa 80 for the years and I assigned one of the button to quarter tone and it kept the setup unchanged every time even after rebooting the keyboard for the years.

Just FYI, It seems that the Korg Pa3X can hold unchanged the Assignable button configuration after rebooting the keyboard, according to BillyHank's previous post. Because we were talking about this problem in Pa900.
Anyway thanks for your help and appreciated.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR
I repeat that If you unlock STS functions that are by default locked in Pa900 , and whatever settings has 1st Perf/1st STS ,
then when any STS in any style has saved the assigned tune mode in any SW , this will remain assigned after Pa900 reboot ...
Check your global lock settings ... I've already done it last years for decades of STS.

Billy
You always forget my skills concerning PaSeries , so I'll try for last time ...
- In my Pro resources every STS has it's own properties , f.e. in a Style STS1 has Sw3 assigned to a DNC articulation ,
in STS2 Sw3 has been assigned to tune function and while pressing it I instantly select the muted notes to be tuned
for the scale I need and STS3 has Ritartando function assigned to SW3 while this STS is tuned via Sub Scale , in a custom
scale with the right tuning portions of 5 notes of a transitional Byzantium scale , and while I select it , it just plays tuned ...
And all remain untouched after restarting in Pa3X/900/600 ...

I hope you can understand my final example , and why we must never lock STS properties for PaSeries advanced programming.

BillyHank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony,

I am well aware of your genius with these Korg keyboards and am not in disagreement with you in any way, you misunderstand my posting as I said I agree with you about this issue totally.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine ... then all of us are happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
You know that when we post here is in order to help people not to show our skills , no matter of what I sometimes claim Very Happy

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman
Quote:
BR
I repeat that If you unlock STS functions that are by default locked in Pa900 , and whatever settings has 1st Perf/1st STS ,
then when any STS in any style has saved the assigned tune mode in any SW , this will remain assigned after Pa900 reboot ...
Check your global lock settings ... I've already done it last years for decades of STS.

Thanks for your reply.
I know that I can save the Q-Tone in the STS but unfortunately it does not suit my needs as I mentioned in my previous post. I want to use the Assignable buttons for Q-Tone because of the reasons that I mentioned.

Regards.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR wrote:
The Quarter Tone is not available with the Assignable button after restarting (turn off/on) the keyboard. That means the Assignable button turns back to OFF position.
This is your initial need
BR wrote:
I prefer to have any sound in their natural temperament and set the quarter tone in live while performing.
This is your last need

- Your first need can't be saved (to retain "ON" switch position for any STS) so your option is only Sub-scale function to achieve that.
- Your last need is that we all do with PaSeries since 7 years , we save tune function assigned with a switch and while performing
we select notes to be tuned , and this function will remain at any STS saved properties at any reboot of any Pa.

I persist on this , because we have spend "ink" for two pages to find a solution for you , since there is no bug but predefined functions !

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman,
Quote:
..., since there is no bug but predefined functions

If this is a predefined function, it's a shame (I am addressing to Korg) that Korg designed this as a predefined function in one of the newest keyboard (Pa900) because with older keyboards, that was not the case.
With Pa 80 and Pa1x I didn't have this problem. For example in Pa80 I could assign one of the Pad to Q-Tone and I used the same set up for the years, and it was kept unchanged even after rebooting the keyboard.

Anyway, thanks AntonySharmman for your time and help and please don't use too much ink for replying.... Very Happy Just kidding.
Thanks
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK , I bought a new pallet of inks Very Happy
It's been 3 years that I complain for two states switch mode improvement (momentary and toggle) for most important applications
of switches in DNC & nuance controls of sounds , like vibrato , switching groups of OSC ect , but as I wrote , and also as a developer ,
I' m definitely against of a permanent global adjustment that will cancel my partial STS assignments , as happens in other STS features of Pa900/600 !

asafar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BR first unlock the Assignable switches then from MENU go and assign the 2 switches to whatever you want then lock them and push on MY SETTING button for few seconds until it asks you if you want to write startup setting press Ok and it will memorize it next time you turn on the PA900.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AB Maestro,
How are you? Good to hear from you here.
Let me try your suggestion and I'll get back to you.
Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa900/Pa3X Le All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: