Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Patch Collection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan3gerou5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Volca Patch Collection Reply with quote

I was wondering and interested in knowing if there was already a place where people shared or where I could find a collection of patches for the Volca Keys and Bass. In my other thread I saw some nice blank patch sheets, but would anyone be interested in sharing their actual patches? Maybe we could start a collection of people's favorite patches they've come up with over time. I hope this idea work, thanks everyone!

edit: Your patch doesn't have to include your "song" or the notes you played... It is simply the positioning of all the knobs to achieve your sound.
analoguekid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nice idea in theory but the positioning of the knobs on them needs to be very accurate as only a slight move one way or the other and you end up with a very different sound. Also when I am playing with my Volca Keys I start with a particular sound and by the end of the session, recording whathaveyou, I have tweaked it to something different so never remember what the knobs were at when I started:-)

I think one of the main joys of these little analogue jobbies is the fact that they only retain the last knob positions when you turn them off, so each time you start you are faced with the last sound you used which makes you either use that one to start with or tweak and use something else, either way it gets you into the mold of creating which then influences your music from the off Smile
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, analoguekid. I don't have any Volcas (at least not yet) but I have a miniBrute and the same concept applies. I think in general its a good idea to stay away from patches with these types of analog gear. For one, it gives it more of an "instrument" feel in the sense that you're constantly evolving your sound, everything is more fluid and dynamic. Second, and most importantly, you're learning about sound design and how to program and re-program things on the fly. You'll learn what happens when your attack is longer than your release and vice versa, which oscillator might sound best for bass. And then eventually these things will come naturally to you and you'll be able to dial in a sound exactly as you want it.

Its funny, because I recall having a conversation with a friend who criticized my interest in electronic instruments and sound. He claimed that it would be better to learn a "traditional" acoustic instrument (such as a flute or guitar). It was almost as if he thought electronic instruments were inferior or easier to learn and therefore not worth the time. Well, ask anyone who uses an analog synth/gear about how it sounds and what you can do with them. And, ask anyone who uses drummachines or grooveboxes if they're easier to learn then, say, a guitar. An electribe IS NOT, in any way whatsoever, easier to learn to play - on the contrary, I'd say its harder to play and master than a "traditional" instrument. The point I'm trying to make is that these analog synths take as much time to master as any other instrument. Sure, patches might be useful here and there for a particular sound, but ultimately you'll want to practice, practice, practice and hone your skills.

Good luck and happy tweaking!
Sclr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said guys. I have put so many hours into seq on my esx i feel like it is just as great a tool of expression as any other instrument could be.

But i get your point dan3gerou5. Its good to have some idea of how to make some basics on an analog synth. Basic bass, strings, clav, brass, etc. unfortunately there isn't a specific place for these patches that i can find. And these types of patches aren't always easy to make. Sometimes its better to read up on how to make these kinds of sounds on tutorials. Sound on sound has some good ones:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Dont be intimidated. Some of these may not apply to analog, some might not be what you are looking for or want. Some might just not be possible on the volcas but there are some that could point you in a direction or just get you exercising your volca chops. Keep at it! Also, Play it like roblabs said, just go at it. Eventually you'll get somewhere. Sorry for such a long post Laughing

If i get time i'll post a patch for volca bass next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: